XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radio / CD / CDC cutting out intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok so its been about a week so far and not too many miles travelled, but......

I've been aware and had the radio / CD turned up and listening for the volume dropping / cutting out but not so far!

Still too early to say its fixed, so I'll keep an eye on it and report back in a few weeks
Jim

Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Ok so its been about a week so far and not too many miles travelled, but......

I've been aware and had the radio / CD turned up and listening for the volume dropping / cutting out but not so far!

Still too early to say its fixed, so I'll keep an eye on it and report back in a few weeks

Jim

Well that'll be a big fat no then!!
Happened several times today, really frustrating.........need a good audio guy in Central Scotland to get to the bottom of this as it's driving me slightly nuts!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Trinh
Yes Jim! If sound is lost but you can still switch through phone, NAV, CDC etc.. And see the screen change all normal, that means the fiber optic loop sees all those components fine. If you unplug one of the fiber optic connections everything should not work because they are all looped. NO LOOP means NO Connection.
That is not 100% correct. You would always be able to switch between NAV/Radio(AM/FM/CD) and Climate on the car. These are controlled by the SCP bus and would work independent of the fiber optic.

What you want to do is switch between Radio/CDC (not CD)/Phone screens. The Phone and CDC are only on the D2B bus, so if that is the issue they would disappear or not be very responsive. The Radio would always show up but the sound would be gone. The D2B can detect a failure and reset itself - it takes a good second or two. One way to detect this is to look at a signal called "Wake Up" in the electrical diagram - it would go low (0V) for a ~100 milliseconds when you turn the car on, but it should stay up (12V) afterward. If you can detect it going low when the audio cuts out - the HU is trying to reset the D2B bus.

I assume your Indy shop uses the Jag SDD software if not, it is unlikely they would see any codes - these are stored inside the HU and even then it does not store a whole lot of info. Jaguar has a D2B analyzer unit, maybe your Indy can borrow one - it should be able to measure the quality of the optical lines between the components - aka how much light is lost between the links. (I've never seen one, but is is mentioned in their docs, so it should exist).

~V

The following 2 users liked this post by veffremov:
Evan Trinh (03-08-2016), JimC64 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
That is not 100% correct. You would always be able to switch between NAV/Radio(AM/FM/CD) and Climate on the car. These are controlled by the SCP bus and would work independent of the fiber optic.

What you want to do is switch between Radio/CDC (not CD)/Phone screens. The Phone and CDC are only on the D2B bus, so if that is the issue they would disappear or not be very responsive. The Radio would always show up but the sound would be gone. The D2B can detect a failure and reset itself - it takes a good second or two. One way to detect this is to look at a signal called "Wake Up" in the electrical diagram - it would go low (0V) for a ~100 milliseconds when you turn the car on, but it should stay up (12V) afterward. If you can detect it going low when the audio cuts out - the HU is trying to reset the D2B bus.

I assume your Indy shop uses the Jag SDD software if not, it is unlikely they would see any codes - these are stored inside the HU and even then it does not store a whole lot of info. Jaguar has a D2B analyzer unit, maybe your Indy can borrow one - it should be able to measure the quality of the optical lines between the components - aka how much light is lost between the links. (I've never seen one, but is is mentioned in their docs, so it should exist).

~V
veffremov!! hope all is well buddy! I switch through them all because I didnt know that. But you are the one who knows every aspect of these systems. Perhaps you can steer jim in the right direction. Made me a very happy person with your BT module still working flawless in mine. So Only those two are on the d2b makes sense. hope Jim got this figured out

Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Veffremov / Evan....thanks again guys, much appreciated
All this is valuable info, I just need someone who can interpret it / read it / fix it now....lol
Hopefully without going to the dealers only to be told I have to spend £1200 on a new system or some such, as opposed to a £200 resolution, you get the idea.....

Still looking for that person...

Old 06-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I guess things must be getting worse, perhaps that's a good thing to get to the bottom of this issue?
Evan, I know you must be saying to yourself, I told you so, but here's the thing and I hope you can advise........

I had a strange non load event of my system today, albeit briefly....the message was....
"Communication fault - please consult your dealer" almost verbatim iirc

My hunch is this is what you've been telling me all along, can you please confirm?
Much appreciated

Best
Jim

Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Evan, car booked in for the 4th July for other work and also for fibre optic cable to be replaced at the same time, so we'll see if that resolves this?
Here's hoping.....

Thanks
Jim

Old 06-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi Jim,

"Communication fault - please consult your dealer" appears when the NAV unit can not talk to the radio via the SCP bus. Oddly enough it is not related to the fiber optic.

You should check the regular wire connector on the radio and the connectors on the nav unit.

Btw. when I say "radio" - if you have premium system this is the single CD player unit under the screen.

With intermittent problems like these it is very hard to find the root cause. One thing you can try it to start wiggling the cables in the entertainment stack one by one while the radio is running to see if you can find the bad connection. Try both copper wires and the fiber optic kind.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by veffremov
Hi Jim,

"Communication fault - please consult your dealer" appears when the NAV unit can not talk to the radio via the SCP bus. Oddly enough it is not related to the fiber optic.

You should check the regular wire connector on the radio and the connectors on the nav unit.

Btw. when I say "radio" - if you have premium system this is the single CD player unit under the screen.

With intermittent problems like these it is very hard to find the root cause. One thing you can try it to start wiggling the cables in the entertainment stack one by one while the radio is running to see if you can find the bad connection. Try both copper wires and the fiber optic kind.

Hi Veffremov - thanks so much for the insight, I'll bear that in mind and will be something else to get them to look at.
As usual I will try and get some answers as to if / when it's been fixed and or the reason, hopefully help others that may have the same issue at some point

Thanks again
Jim

Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

The fibre optic cable was replaced in the rear of the vehicle too on Evan Trinh's recommendation for my intermittent sound issues, so we'll see how that goes In the fullness of time I guess.......I'll report back

Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Ok so I picked the car up on Tuesday and it's now Friday
I've had a few decent trips in her so far, around 300+ miles on Wednesday, around 300+ miles on Tuesday and about 80 today so far.

These meant several hours in the car with the sounds on and so far anyway, I haven't experienced the radio / cd etc cutting out for several seconds with loss of sound, before coming back.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this has fixed the issue, even although my Indy is sceptical. I went with Evan's knowledge and am hopeful it will pay off and I can mark that as resolved, will report back in a few weeks time.

On a side note, I'm still experiencing issues with my phone connectivity. When receiving an incoming call, there is a 5 or 6 second delay with no sound. I can hear nothing and assume the caller cannot either, several seconds later it seems to connect and sort itself out and all is well.

This is really annoying, anyone any ideas on the causes or solutions??
Thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Ok so I picked the car up on Tuesday and it's now Friday
I've had a few decent trips in her so far, around 300+ miles on Wednesday, around 300+ miles on Tuesday and about 80 today so far.

These meant several hours in the car with the sounds on and so far anyway, I haven't experienced the radio / cd etc cutting out for several seconds with loss of sound, before coming back.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this has fixed the issue, even although my Indy is sceptical. I went with Evan's knowledge and am hopeful it will pay off and I can mark that as resolved, will report back in a few weeks time.

On a side note, I'm still experiencing issues with my phone connectivity. When receiving an incoming call, there is a 5 or 6 second delay with no sound. I can hear nothing and assume the caller cannot either, several seconds later it seems to connect and sort itself out and all is well.

This is really annoying, anyone any ideas on the causes or solutions??
Thanks in advance
Jim! hope its resolved. As for your phone the bluetooth module is in the rear stack as well check the connections. Try pairing another phone, reset and find phone again or do the software update on your phone. I remember I bought a brand new phone cannot get it to pair. After new software update was available, I updated and it immediately paired and worked flawless. This was a big problem for apple other buyers had same issue as me and it took forever for apple to release that first software update.

Bluetooth has different versions like 2.0-4.0 and has never really been dependable since it was first introduced. Even with aftermarket stereo companies you tend to lose connection from time to time.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evan Trinh
Jim! hope its resolved. As for your phone the bluetooth module is in the rear stack as well check the connections. Try pairing another phone, reset and find phone again or do the software update on your phone. I remember I bought a brand new phone cannot get it to pair. After new software update was available, I updated and it immediately paired and worked flawless. This was a big problem for apple other buyers had same issue as me and it took forever for apple to release that first software update.

Bluetooth has different versions like 2.0-4.0 and has never really been dependable since it was first introduced. Even with aftermarket stereo companies you tend to lose connection from time to time.

Thanks Evan, other than issues described the phone seems to work fine

"When receiving an incoming call, there is a 5 or 6 second delay with no sound. I can hear nothing and assume the caller cannot either, several seconds later it seems to connect and sort itself out and all is well."

Every now and again when I answer there is a POP and I'm connected instantly, although this is infrequent, does any of that make sense?

I can try disconnecting and re pairing the phone if you think that'll help
Jim

Old 03-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio / CD / CDC cutting out intermittently

hi Guys I have a 2007 S type with Navigation and premium sound
My radio goes out occasionally, i will be driving and it loses sound, the display will freeze, i can switch between screens like Climate, audio etc but the touch screen does not respond
also while this is happening the clock display on the screen freezes, the digital clock under the speedo displays - - it can come back on every couple of seconds then off or will stay off for some time, Some days it is triggered by an electrical spike, like me braking, using indicators or flashing headlamps at another car

any thoughts please

regards
Tony