XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rain Water on floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Water on floor boards

Hi I have a 2007 XJ8L, when parked in the rain the floors, both sides front and rear, accumulate a lot of water when it rains. I have checked the sunroof drains which appear to run clear and the drains at the base of the windshield/cowl areas on both sides and they are also clear. Any common areas that cause water to pool on the floors while the car is parked? It is not coming from A/C condensate since it happens when the car is parked for a couple weeks and there has been rain.
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

It's hard to see how a localized leak around the windshield or back glass could accumulate water both sides, front and back. So I'm inclined to think it has to be from t he sunroof, somehow. To speed up the detective work, you need to get someone to spray the top of the car with a garden hose while you sit inside.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTorq
Hi I have a 2007 XJ8L, when parked in the rain the floors, both sides front and rear, accumulate a lot of water when it rains. I have checked the sunroof drains which appear to run clear and the drains at the base of the windshield/cowl areas on both sides and they are also clear. Any common areas that cause water to pool on the floors while the car is parked?
Did you check the front AND rear drains? You only mention the front.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-29-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a leak on my driver side that filled the passenger floor. I tried everything posted without effect. The car spent the summer in the garage and moved only 500 miles last year. In the end I found the leak was caused by the rubber seals under the aluminum trim that runs front to back over the doors moved. Both top and bottom slides moved and opened up a gap that was about 2/3 back of the rear door - this is the seam. So all the rain that went down the channel went into my car. I used a credit card to break the natural friction resistance of rubber on body work and slowly pulled the seal, top and bottom back together. Check these seals and if they are your problem and you have questions I can post a picture. I would right now, but my daughter is driving the car as her X3 has a sunroof leak that is proving tough to resolve. Worth a look if all else fails.

Last edited by kg74; 08-25-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: make more accurate
Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 PM

The pictures attached show the seal that were the cause of my water intrusion in the rear passenger floor area. The seal runs the length of the doors. The place to look is located on the rear door - note in the picture you can see the silver trim strip seam, about 2/3 the way back of the door.
Picture above rear door - note silver trim seam. The rubber seal slides forward and opens a gap. Here I have corrected it pulling it back so it overlaps second seal and water flows over and not in.

Here is a picture from below.
This picture taken with the door open shows the gap that opens when the seal slides forward. I had moved this before but the seal has moved forward again. In this condition, coupled with a similar gap in upper seal, permits water intrusion manifested by water in the rear passenger foot area, in this case the left side, as this is the left passenger door.

Hopefully this helps others - check these seals on both doors. I may try carefully applying some silicon to prevent movement with concern of creating a water dam.

The following 3 users liked this post by kg74:
Don B (08-29-2017), paydase (08-15-2019), Rancheroguy (11-10-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

Just checked mine and I have gaps too in that area

but water will only enter the cabin if the black rubber

"patch" half way down on the body is leaking?

The patch is showing signs of of peeling away.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:21 PM

I cannot answer your question except based on my experience, but I will tell you my observations and thoughts.

1) I had the gap and repaired it and my water issues stopped;
2) All my other seals were in excellent shape; and
3) The water has to go some where and that flow channel dumps into the door area when the door is closed. If the gap is taken away it cannot dump there, but behind the rear door as it was designed to do.

Use a credit card or non scratch equivalent and a pliers and pull the thing back into place - starting at the very front with the credit card to prevent the seal from sticking to the car. A helper makes it easier. The repair costs nothing and takes 5-10 minutes. Check your results. If you are now water free - hit the two seal pieces with some silicon so the seal will not shift. Just make sure you do not create a water dam on the top side - like I said that solved my issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by kg74:
meirion1 (08-18-2019), paydase (08-18-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by kg74
The pictures attached show the seal that were the cause of my water intrusion in the rear passenger floor area. The seal runs the length of the doors. The place to look is located on the rear door - note in the picture you can see the silver trim strip seam, about 2/3 the way back of the door.
Picture above rear door - note silver trim seam. The rubber seal slides forward and opens a gap. Here I have corrected it pulling it back so it overlaps second seal and water flows over and not in.

Here is a picture from below.
This picture taken with the door open shows the gap that opens when the seal slides forward. I had moved this before but the seal has moved forward again. In this condition, coupled with a similar gap in upper seal, permits water intrusion manifested by water in the rear passenger foot area, in this case the left side, as this is the left passenger door.

Hopefully this helps others - check these seals on both doors. I may try carefully applying some silicon to prevent movement with concern of creating a water dam.
Today I have checked my seals as I also have a sunroof (I check regularly for possible water ingress in the cabin and fortunately up to now I haven't noticed any leak, even during showers).

I was therefore surprised to discover that on both sides of the car, the water seals configuration looks to have moved as shown in the pics above so that in principle I should observe water ingress in the cabin.
Here are detailed pics of these seals on the rear left hand side, seen from above and from below.

So obviously, when raining water may come into the cabin unless the big round seal that is there to dampen noise prevents it. Would it be the reason I have not observed it yet, and would the seals slipping be usual?

Last edited by paydase; 08-20-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: pictures management
Old 08-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Paydase: As previously mentioned, I had the same gaps appearing on my 2004 XJ8. I did all of the technical bulletin fixes I found and still had water. On my specific vehicle I had water on the driver side passenger floor only. The driver's side was dry. The gap shown in your pictures only were on the driver side. My passenger side seals had not moved. That was the only difference I could find.

Based on this I figured the cause of my water problem were the shifting seals on the driver side. I reasoned the water lands on the roof, moves to channel, and dumps into the compartment via the seal gaps. When I reseated the seals on the driver side my water problem stopped. I matched the positioning of the upper seals to what was on the problem free passenger side.

Now it is possible that if other door seals are working correctly the upper seal under the chrome is not an issue. I don't know this, but it would explain why you are not having an issue. It could be a function of how much compression the door exerts on the "big round seal" when it is closed and/or how much rain is landing on the roof.

Moving the seal to the proper position is not difficult and in my case solved my problem.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your feedback.
In my case, the seals' gaps on the right side are similar to the left side, apparently without water ingress up to now.
However I'll do what you advise as it seems wise to close these gaps.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Update regarding the water intake during rain through my seals' gaps (not yet corrected...).
There is indeed some water ingress as can be seen in the pics attached, but fortunately, either the water intake is small enough or the big round seals inside the door are effective because the water looks to be contained in the space outside the cabin.
From top to bottom, water flows along the C pillar outside the seal.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the tip. I just looked at my 2004 XJ8 and the gap you mention is there. Only 41k miles on it, must be from age. I did not apply any silicone, will see if there is movement resulting in water and if there is i might just put a drop or two of quick drying glue underneath the rubber seal.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

That rubber piece on the back side of the door needs to get sealant. That's where the ingress issue is. (Second pic)

Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Will try that, thank you. Where would you suggest the sealant be placed? Would you happen to have any photos of where it should be placed. Thanks very much

Old 10-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by steveg1245
Will try that, thank you. Where would you suggest the sealant be placed? Would you happen to have any photos of where it should be placed. Thanks very much
Behind the entire perimeter of that piece. There is a hole, where water seeps through to the inside, rises the inside channel and deposits onto the passenger floor beneath the carpet.

Check my profile posts. I know I posted it here previously.

Last edited by abonano; 10-27-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

One action that may help here is maintenance on all the rubber seals. I replaced the two body mount door seals that were deteriorated and have treated all the seals with 303 Protectant. This stuff really makes the seals feel and look like new.
With all the live oak pollen at my home I need to vacuum out the sunroof drains. This fixed plugged drain in another vehicle. Used some 1/16” nylon tubing and the mighty Miteyvac to suck the sludge out and reestablish drainage.
We get massive rainfall events. 30 - 50 inches of rain and leaking roof is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
That rubber piece on the back side of the door needs to get sealant. That's where the ingress issue is. (Second pic)
Abonano, thank you for the advice, you are probably right regarding that rubber piece, I finally got water ingress in my cabin...
One in the driver's footwell that I suspect is coming from clogged sunroof front drains (I will have to sort this issue separately) and one on the rear that probably is due to water entering behind that rubber piece on the rear door jamb (although I will also check the sunroof rear drains).

I understand that I should remove this rubber piece, put marine silicon sealant around the holes in the metal and put back that rubber once the sealant has dried.
I am wondering however if that rubber piece can easily be stripped off or if I should take specific care not to tear it when removing it from the metal and from behind the round door seal? (there are no specific instructions or drawings in the TSB XJ501-07). Could you please advise?

Also I do not see how to access the zone for sealing around the holes of the drain channel finisher fixings as also mentioned in the TSB XJ501-07.
The TSB simply indicates that "the finisher should be pulled away and that two fixings securing the drain channel clip should be removed" to do it but that finisher looks firmly attached and I would not want to break anything.
Should the chrome finisher be pried off from the bottom?

Old 11-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanks all. I used the silicone on the door, will see what happens in the rain. I tried to pull the seal above the door behind the chrome trim and that is not moving. I would like to purchase new, however, i do not know what these are referred to our even what web site would have them. I suspect a dealer can purchase, might be quite expensive. This car, 2004 XJ8 is new to us, only about a year and had 33k miles when we purchased. Had been garaged by the original owner.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Following abonano's advice, I carefully lifted the perimeter of the rubber piece that is the culprit of water ingress in the rear left footwell through the C-pillar door jamb.
Not easy, avoiding to tear the rubber.

Actually, it was still quite sticky in some areas but not everywhere, and dirt and traces of previous water ingress were there.
During the process, the bottom of the chrom trim turned out to be declipsed, fortunately without cracking the clip. That helped removing the rubber piece that was inserted under that chrom trim.

Putting sealant under and around the rubber piece in an as clean as possible way was not easy either because of its tortured shape and body contours.
Fortunately, the black colour of my sealant fits quite well with the paint colour.

That is the best I could finally get after reinserting the rubber piece under the chrom trim and removing the excess sealant, trying to keep a continuous strip on the edges:

I have also unclogged my sunroof front drains using a 3 mm thick spline weed wacker line.
These were clogged and responsible for water ingress in the driver footwell.
I could progressively insert the weed wacker line until a point where apparently the drain makes a sharp turn prohibiting further progress (that was also reported by others). But that was sufficient to clean the drains as soapy water could then make its way down and be seen coming out behind the front wheels.
I did not attempt accessing the rear sunroof drains (that process requires removing the headliner...), hoping that only the two front drains were clogged.

I have now to see how it will behave during the next rainfalls.
Crossed my fingers!

Old 11-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I just found a puddle in my rear driver's (left) side foot well. Looking at the gasket in the chrome rain gutter there is a gap of around 3/4 an inch (20mm). I'll try moving it tomorrow and sealing the rear end cap.

Quick Reply: Rain Water on floor boards