XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rattle in left front

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rattle in left front

Hello Everyone:
Today, I just got my Jag out of the shop. Replaced motor mounts, rack and pinion, tie rod ends. I have replaced every piece of the front suspension including shocks. On the way home from the Jag mechanic, I go down a bumpy road and hear the same exact sound I took it to him to fix. It makes a rattle noise only in the front left drivers side over a bumpy road . I don't know where to go from here but try a new mechanic. Is there any way to isolate where the sound is coming from? Are there noise sensors that can be placed on the inside right front engine compartment to determine where the rattle is? Help, All I wanted to do today is take pictures and tell everyone all is OK with the new car BUT not so. Thanks for any help.

Joe

The following users liked this post:
mdgcentral (03-20-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 768 Likes on 642 Posts

It's probably the strut which has failed.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,976 Likes on 788 Posts

Air compressor mounting bushings perhaps?
Or inner guards missing some retainer clips and knocking on chassis over bumps?

I nearly went down the road of replacing front shocks on my X-Type which was clonking over bumps (a common complaint I might add).
I instead found previous service activities of prior owner had omitted some inner wheel arch 5mm plastic fasteners. Replaced them and found the roughest bit of road nearby and the front end was way quieter. $5 fix.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I put new struts on this recently and the conversion had already been done before. I purchased the shocks and struts on Rock Auto. I can't believe that it is a bad strut but this may be the case. Going back to the mechanic tomorrow. Other problems have popped up that they should have fixed but didn't. Will let you know. Any suggestions? Where and what are the inner wheel arch plastic fasteners? Located?

Old 03-15-2023, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,976 Likes on 788 Posts

Hi JDog,

Just taken a look at my XJ8 tonight after getting home from work.
The plastic inner wheel arch liner is a one piece unit (different from the X-Type which is two pieces) and has about four plastic expanding retainers and one flared nut fastener to secure it that I could quickly see.
The retainers are a round plug with a center plastic screw to force the flaring/expansion of the retainer plug.
Two plastic retainers at the lower rear edge of the liner in direct line with where the tyre will flick up any mud, another retainer about half way up the inner guard liner aft of the suspension assembly, one further plastic retainer at the front lower edge of the liner pointing downwards.
There is also a longish slot in the arch liner just in front of the suspension unit that slides over a threaded stud and has a flared nut to secure the liner.

I see you mention the air suspension has been replaced with an aftermarket system.
Do you know if the original suspension air compressor was removed from the front left location of the car?
If is hasn't, it might have failed mounting bushes allowing excessive movement and causing some knocking.
If the compressor has been removed, there might be a disconnected air line or electrical fitting remaining that were not secured properly and possibly bouncing around causing your noises.
Original air compressor is located forward of the left front wheel and access by removing that wheel arch liner.

Good luck with your hunt.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:43 AM
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Please let us know what you find is the issue.. I had the similar problem but on the passenger side.. When going over a bump I'd hear a sudden rattle (split second), I change the control arms(new ball joints) but didn't solve the problem.. I was thinking sway bar bushings? I never got a chance to fix the problem, since my car got totaled.

Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2023, 11:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
I put new struts on this recently and the conversion had already been done before. I purchased the shocks and struts on Rock Auto. I can't believe that it is a bad strut but this may be the case. Going back to the mechanic tomorrow. Other problems have popped up that they should have fixed but didn't. Will let you know. Any suggestions? Where and what are the inner wheel arch plastic fasteners? Located?
I remember replacing struts on my E46(BMW3) a while back I forgot to put washer between top strut stud and strut mount. That casued such strong knock going over every bump...
What I am saying is mechanic that have not tested car for symptoms being corrected deserves second guessing.
CHANGE MECHANIC!

Old 03-20-2023, 07:56 PM
Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts
Default I vote air compressor suspension has broken or lost a spring.

I agree with other posts suggesting the Air Compressor. It's fairly heavy and mounted with springs to isolated the vibrations. If you had it replaced, that's the very first place I would look. I have heard one that was reassembled with ONE missing spring and it raised a huge amount of knocking and rattling. Check that first

Let us know what happens!

Old 03-21-2023, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Mine was clunk over bumpy road

It was a bad Strut. Moved Strut from passenger side to driver side. Clunk moved.