XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Re-programming ECM: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re-programming ECM: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

Good Morning fellow enthusiasts,

I have a 2003 XJ6 3.0SE fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control. In common with other owners I have been having problems with the system - in my case it has never worked (which doesn't really bother me, except that this also disables the 'normal' cruise control, showing a permanent 'Cruise Not Available' message on dash). The module (located behind the front bumper) is the problem (not communicating). I sent the unit off to BBA Reman some weeks ago but they now tell me that it is not repairable. I cannot fit the later version to the best of my knowledge and used units are like hens teeth.

I read on these forums some time ago that it is possible to replace the main engine ECU (ECM) from a car without Adaptive Cruise Control and to programme same using the IDS/SDD (which I have). I simply want the car to be usable without the Adaptive system.

Have any other members done such a replacement (used ECM's are readily available). If so, did you encounter any problems and was it a straightforward excercise ??

Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

I would think the ECMs are identical across models. Just the programmed vehicle options change. In that case, I would just reprogram your ECM without the ACC option.

I have no idea if that's possible with your SDD, from my understanding a real subscription is required for that function. Hopefully others can comment more on that aspect.

Last edited by Don B; 05-11-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: EMC
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Our ACC has never worked either, and I have tried to use SDD to change the setting back to normal cruise, but SDD informs me that in order to accomplish this change, I will have to begin a new session and change the vehicle configuration to what I want it to be after the change. So far, I haven't figured out how to change the vehicle configuration in the versions of SDD that I have (134, 131.03 and 129). They all read the fact that the car already has ACC and when it asks if this is correct the only options are to answer YES or NO, and when I answer NO I still don't get the option to change the ACC.

I tried the procedure outlined by 34by151 in this post/thread but it didn't work for me:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99/#post733742

I even changed the steering wheel switch to the standard cruise version, disconnected the forward-looking radar unit/ACC module, and tried various ways of getting SDD to change the setting, but so far no luck.

Digging into it has been low on my priority list, but hopefully someone who figures it out will post a step-by-step method.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 738 Likes on 465 Posts

In SDD, have you tried manually entering the VIN so it does not pickup on the saved/pre-programmed options for your VIN

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-05-2020)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
In SDD, have you tried manually entering the VIN so it does not pickup on the saved/pre-programmed options for your VIN
Yes, I've tried that in v131.03, but I still don't get an option to change the vehicle configuration regarding the ACC. SDD v134 automatically reads the VIN so there's no option to manually enter it.

I think I also have v128 or v129 - I may give that a go.

Thanks,

Don

Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Too bad you guys are having trouble with your ACC. I knew nothing about ACC when I bought our 06 SV8 in Houston but learned I had it on the drive home when an 18 wheeler swerved into my lane and the ACC hit the brakes. It is great for highway cruising. Hope you get it going again.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Yes, I've tried that in v131.03, but I still don't get an option to change the vehicle configuration regarding the ACC. SDD v134 automatically reads the VIN so there's no option to manually enter it.

I think I also have v128 or v129 - I may give that a go.

Thanks,

Don
Don do you have IDS? IIRC, IDS requires manual input of VIN. When I bought my VCM from Cambo, the software included both IDS and SDD. Not sure where you got yours so thought I'd ask. Also not sure if the manual entry in IDS would make a difference. My XK doesn't have ACC so I can't check for you.

Don B (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
Too bad you guys are having trouble with your ACC. I knew nothing about ACC when I bought our 06 SV8 in Houston but learned I had it on the drive home when an 18 wheeler swerved into my lane and the ACC hit the brakes. It is great for highway cruising. Hope you get it going again.
Phil I thought the same on the open road but I hated it in busier city freeway driving as there are so many people darting in and out of lanes, the car would go nuts, slow down for someone who cut me off, then speed up, while the guy behind me decides to do an end run because I keep slowing down. Middle Lane driving was the worst. But it was great on road trips.

I do miss it on my XK.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Don do you have IDS? IIRC, IDS requires manual input of VIN. When I bought my VCM from Cambo, the software included both IDS and SDD. Not sure where you got yours so thought I'd ask. Also not sure if the manual entry in IDS would make a difference. My XK doesn't have ACC so I can't check for you.
Thanks for that good thought, Sean.

I have IDS but it's part of the v131.03 package, which only reverts to IDS if the vehicle is too old for SDD (X100, X308). It doesn't give me the option to start IDS on its own. But I like your thinking - I'll see if I can find a package of IDS alone.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The fitment of ACC to the car is defined within the VID block, specifically the part of the VID block for/in the PCM.

The trick of taking a PCM from an "identical" car that doesn't have ACC, and then pairing it to your car works by simply running the immobiliser/security routine, without updating the VID block.

This means the PCM has the VID block of the donor car without ACC. But also the VIN of the donor car, and the other characteristics of that car as well.

The risk with that is you can always wipe over the existing VID block in the module by reflashing the PCM, and the VID block created from the "as-built" data in IDS/SDD will once again have "ACC fitted", and you're back to square one.

The other problem is the donor car must be otherwise identical, same market, same engine, same wheelbase, same steering side, same sub-features. If for example you take a PCM from a LHD car and put it in your RHD car and do this, you will get a heap of ABS/DSC errors.

The correct way to do it is to change the "as-built" data itself.

IDS had the possibility to do this, but that functionality was left out of SDD.

With IDS you enter the VIN, answer the engine specification question, and then it will ask you to "read configuration information from the vehicle". If you say "no" it will create the vehicle configuration from the as-built data in the IDS database, and ask you if it's correct. If you say "no" as in it's not correct, then you have the possibility to change some features/accessories, like the ACC.

Then when you reflash the PCM as a new module, the VID block will be created according to the "corrected configuration", not the one from the as-built data, or the existing configuration in the car.

Now, here is the important part...

Updating the VID block in the PCM requires communication with all modules on the network. If any modules fitted are not communicating the VID block will not be updated, and in the worst case, be left blank or corrupted, leaving the car undriveable.

For example with my XJR I have to take out the radio that's normally in it, and put in an older one which "talks" in order to make any VID block changes to the PCM.

And, it goes without saying, that attempting to write the VID block in the PCM using a clone Mongoose is a bad idea, if it fails the only way to recover it is with a VCM.

Making changes to the VID block for "small" changes, like the driveaway locking, double-locking, daytime running lights, etc. does not write the whole VID block, it only changes the relevant bytes, but when you flash the PCM as a new module the entire VID block is wiped and re-written, this is a big deal, obviously...

The following 7 users liked this post by Cambo:
dharry078 (07-10-2019), Don B (05-12-2017), JagV8 (05-13-2017), motorcarman (05-12-2017), paydase (05-13-2017), Qvhk (05-12-2017), Sean W (05-13-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it is worth continuing the search for a good used replacement module than taking those risks that might do more harm than good. Being in the UK, you have better chance than anywhere else to find one? Hopefully, similar modules for post-2003 X350 would also fit.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 8,297 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Thanks for that good thought, Sean.

I have IDS but it's part of the v131.03 package, which only reverts to IDS if the vehicle is too old for SDD (X100, X308). It doesn't give me the option to start IDS on its own. But I like your thinking - I'll see if I can find a package of IDS alone.

Cheers,

Don
All you need is an older laptop with XP and IDS version 118.5.
The VCM should be able to adjust to the older software. It will popup a screen advisory that the VCM has newer software than the program.

Just agree to downgrade and the VCM will be configured to the older software.

I found an OLD VCM with an old version of FORD IDS and bought it from a guy that closed his shop. I loaded up an old version of DVD IDS 102 on an old laptop and plugged in the VCM. The screen popup advisory wanted to know if I wanted to change the VCM config to match the software version. I said YES and it took a minute or two to config.

I plugged it into a 2001 XJ8 and it operated normally.

I don't know how far back the VCM will go with older software. The one CAMBO sent me might have had SDD on it but I'm running IDS 118.5 on it now.

When I worked at the dealer we used IDS 42,43,101, finally 102 and when the VCM malfunctioned we had to send it to ROTUNDA for repair. We borrowed the VCM from Land Rover across the street to work with our Jaguar ToughBook.

I just let the IDS 102 config the VCM to our software and Land Rover had to do the same thing to get it back to ROVER software when we returned it.

IDS 118.5 was the last version of IDS so get a copy and try that???

bob

Don B (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 173 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Qvhk
I think it is worth continuing the search for a good used replacement module than taking those risks that might do more harm than good. Being in the UK, you have better chance than anywhere else to find one? Hopefully, similar modules for post-2003 X350 would also fit.

I could not find a sensible priced one in the UK, brand new they are about Ł1800 to Ł1900 but I managed to source one on Ebay in the US, with carriage and import duties it cost me around Ł300 to Ł350 if I remember correctly.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The fitment of ACC to the car is defined within the VID block, specifically the part of the VID block for/in the PCM
To be clear Cambo, this would apply to Don's model year but not the OP's correct?

As I understand it, the X308 used VCATS, Beginning in 04, the VID Block was used on X350 - X358.

Do you have knowledge on how to address in an 03 MY?

Attached Thumbnails Re-programming ECM:  Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)-screen-shot-2017-05-13-4.23.15-pm.png  
Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 PM

The OP has a 2003 X350 XJ6, the 3.0L V6, was not sold in the US.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Don B (05-13-2017), Sean W (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Just to clarify - as Cambo quite rightly states, my car is an X350 3.0L version. I'd like to thank all contributors to this thread, but particularly Cambo - it's apparent that he has an in depth knowledge of our cars. Electronics now play a very large role in the upkeep and without such 'experts' amongst us we would all be at a loss I'm sure. My worry is that as these components become dated more and more cars will be 'written off' as uneconomical to repair.

With regards my ACC problem I think I will abandon the idea of using a secondhand PCM and go down the route of getting the original 're-written' using IDS (If I can locate a stand-alone piece of software to load into my laptop). Thanks again everyone.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainQ:
Don B (05-13-2017), Sean W (05-13-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

The X350 3.0 V6 edition was also sold in Hong Kong (mine is, but made in 2005), and are dead cheap to buy second hand, as the beyond-economical-repair mindset is forcing many owners to dispose of the car as early as possible, i.e. before any major items play up. A new set of air shocks would set the owner back by GBP4,000-5000; throttle body GBP600, lower control arm GBP300, reserve reservoir GBP400; labour extra.... Jags older than 8 years are very expensive to maintain in Hong Kong due to very expensive parts (and often not in stock), stringent government annual inspection (not just emission, but overall mechanical safety - any excessive play in the steering and noticeable oil leak will fail you), and very few independent workshops are willing to fix Jaguars due to relatively small Jaguar population, owners' ability to afford or willingness to bear repair bills, the special diagnostic tools needed and lack of technical knowledge normally only available to the dealers to fix them.

I was shocked that a 2004 X350 3.5 V8 is priced GBP2000 in a local car trading web, and owner claims that he already replaced the air shocks with coil springs and got new tires, and car still has 10 months' road tax..... There are no local breakers for Jaguars as they sell for more when shipped entirely overseas. No snow and salt here means coachwork is often rust-free.

Don B (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 04:02 AM

Quick question for Cambo - would a 125.03 version of IDS do the job, or does it have to be an earlier one? Was it only with the introduction of SDD that the 're-writing' option of the PCM was removed ? Cheers. (I have the chance to buy a 125.03 programme on disc)

Old 05-14-2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Quick question for Cambo - would a 125.03 version of IDS do the job, or does it have to be an earlier one? Was it only with the introduction of SDD that the 're-writing' option of the PCM was removed ? Cheers. (I have the chance to buy a 125.03 programme on disc)
Check your PM's

Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
The fitment of ACC to the car is defined within the VID block, specifically the part of the VID block for/in the PCM.

The trick of taking a PCM from an "identical" car that doesn't have ACC, and then pairing it to your car works by simply running the immobiliser/security routine, without updating the VID block.

This means the PCM has the VID block of the donor car without ACC. But also the VIN of the donor car, and the other characteristics of that car as well.

The risk with that is you can always wipe over the existing VID block in the module by reflashing the PCM, and the VID block created from the "as-built" data in IDS/SDD will once again have "ACC fitted", and you're back to square one.

The other problem is the donor car must be otherwise identical, same market, same engine, same wheelbase, same steering side, same sub-features. If for example you take a PCM from a LHD car and put it in your RHD car and do this, you will get a heap of ABS/DSC errors.

The correct way to do it is to change the "as-built" data itself.

IDS had the possibility to do this, but that functionality was left out of SDD.

With IDS you enter the VIN, answer the engine specification question, and then it will ask you to "read configuration information from the vehicle". If you say "no" it will create the vehicle configuration from the as-built data in the IDS database, and ask you if it's correct. If you say "no" as in it's not correct, then you have the possibility to change some features/accessories, like the ACC.

Then when you reflash the PCM as a new module, the VID block will be created according to the "corrected configuration", not the one from the as-built data, or the existing configuration in the car.

Now, here is the important part...

Updating the VID block in the PCM requires communication with all modules on the network. If any modules fitted are not communicating the VID block will not be updated, and in the worst case, be left blank or corrupted, leaving the car undriveable.

For example with my XJR I have to take out the radio that's normally in it, and put in an older one which "talks" in order to make any VID block changes to the PCM.

And, it goes without saying, that attempting to write the VID block in the PCM using a clone Mongoose is a bad idea, if it fails the only way to recover it is with a VCM.

Making changes to the VID block for "small" changes, like the driveaway locking, double-locking, daytime running lights, etc. does not write the whole VID block, it only changes the relevant bytes, but when you flash the PCM as a new module the entire VID block is wiped and re-written, this is a big deal, obviously...
Wow, am awed by your vast areas of experience regarding Jaguars. Thanks.