XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

"Real" XJR Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts
Cool "Real" XJR Shocks?

I've noticed with my "new" '07 XJR that the two front struts are different (RF has black studs visible in the engine compartment; LF has silver threads). Assume one was replaced?

So, as I prepare to renew all the suspension bushings, etc, I'm considering replacing the four struts as well. (And, installing the compressor seal kit from forum member bagpipingandy). My experience with other heavy (German) cars is that the shock damping is knackered after 90K miles

After studying this forum using "search", I contacted Arnott about a set, and found:

- They only sell new now

- AS 2710 (eg front pair) is only item available (and has "comfort valving")

So, is the sole option new Bilsteins for an XJR?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,951 Posts

The Arnott units don't have the variable damping that support the CATS system, only the Bilsteins have this, but they do cost more, I'm afraid.

Anything else look different at the front between the two springs ? You shouldn't mix after-market and Bilstein on the same axle.

Frankly, there is no point in replacing the air springs if they are working correctly. Bilstein are very well made, and there will be plenty of life left in the shock element. Don't forget the Jaguar is all-aluminium, so is definitely not a heavy car, like the German makes.

The following users liked this post:
hisport (04-23-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

All the aftermarket units dont retain the cats, Arnott's included
The Bilsteins are made in 2 versions, Sport and Comfort

The XJR uses the sport units
These are getting vary rare. Probably due to the limited numbers made

So your only option to retain the factory feel on an XJR is Bilsteins in Sport (if you can find them)

I recently replaced my front units but managed to pickup 4 fronts and 2 rears at the same time. So I have a full set of spares ?But I had to go through 3 supplier to get those. You will find Bilstein in now only listing the comfort versions. So your looking for retailers with old stock.

No that being said I have not used the Arnott's but understand the valving is somewhere between Sport and comfort.

If you only use the car on the road and not the track most will not know the difference.
As some point soon your only option is to fit a full set of comfort units. At that point you need to decide if retaining cats is worth the money to you.
The other option would be to ditch the bags for coilovers but that's not and option I world go for as again you loose cats but are able to beef up thye spring rate to get back to sport

Cheers
34by151

hisport (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
All the aftermarket units dont retain the cats, Arnott's included
The Bilsteins are made in 2 versions, Sport and Comfort

The XJR uses the sport units
These are getting vary rare. Probably due to the limited numbers made

So your only option to retain the factory feel on an XJR is Bilsteins in Sport (if you can find them)

I recently replaced my front units but managed to pickup 4 fronts and 2 rears at the same time. So I have a full set of spares ?But I had to go through 3 supplier to get those. You will find Bilstein in now only listing the comfort versions. So your looking for retailers with old stock.

No that being said I have not used the Arnott's but understand the valving is somewhere between Sport and comfort.

If you only use the car on the road and not the track most will not know the difference.
As some point soon your only option is to fit a full set of comfort units. At that point you need to decide if retaining cats is worth the money to you.
The other option would be to ditch the bags for coilovers but that's not and option I world go for as again you loose cats but are able to beef up thye spring rate to get back to sport

Cheers
34by151
To make matters a bit more confusing, Bilstein makes both OEM and aftermarket. The OEMs are the ones from Jaguar and come in both sport and comfort versions. My understanding is that the firmness of the spring is based on the volume of the airbag.

The aftermarkets are the B4s and, according to their website, the one model is a direct replacement for both sport and comfort suspensions. Their product literature doesn't say where on the sport to comfort range they fall.

Both the OEM and aftermarket Bilsteins retain the CATS functionality. The OEMs, last I checked, were $200-300 more than the B4s.

Regards,
Odysseus

hisport (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Bilstein is the company that produced the original units on the XJ. The B4's are direct replacements, coming with comfort bladders only, and retain the original design and function, including eCATS. I just finished replacing mine earlier this year. After 13 years of service, and 115k miles, they served well. The new units certainly return it to its original feel, and is a noticeable difference. $850 each. NOS stock on dealer shelves haven't been produced by Bilstein for some many years. Remember these are large rubber parts, and time is as much an enemy as miles. I would not entertain NOS due to age.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
hisport (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone!
A lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum; compliments
I will try and take an inventory of the struts on my car when I disassemble suspension. Wouldn't be surprised to find mixed (sport and comfort) on the front axle. Both seem to have CATS connectors, BTW.

Anyone know the significance of black and silver strut studs?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by odisyus
The aftermarkets are the B4s and, according to their website, the one model is a direct replacement for both sport and comfort suspensions. Their product literature doesn't say where on the sport to comfort range they fall.
All the listings are for comfort. The Sport has been dropped hence only one listing. I doubt Bilstein have been producing units at all rather selling off old stock. Sport units were made in far less numbers so it logical they run out before the comfort units. I suspect soon the comforts wont be available either and your only choices will be aftermarket and no cats

As I indicated it was very hard to find Sport units as you need to find a retailer with old stock and knows more that is in the parts catalogue.
Many will list both sport and comfort but be the same same part number on the package so watch out for that.

As I said I needed to replace one in the front but managed to to get 4 front (replaced both) and 2 rears in sport. Now I have a complete set of new spares sitting on the shelf.
I got one of the sport front and the 2 rears from the US. The other 3 fronts I got from Europe.

Cheers
34by151

Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Bilstein is the company that produced the original units on the XJ. The B4's are direct replacements, coming with comfort bladders only, and retain the original design and function, including eCATS. I just finished replacing mine earlier this year. After 13 years of service, and 115k miles, they served well. The new units certainly return it to its original feel, and is a noticeable difference. $850 each. NOS stock on dealer shelves haven't been produced by Bilstein for some many years. Remember these are large rubber parts, and time is as much an enemy as miles. I would not entertain NOS due to age.

Well, they are NOS on my car and they went onto the car in April 2014 @ 80k miles. Car is now on 106k miles. Are they going to go the distance ? Who Knows ?

Old 04-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well, they are NOS on my car and they went onto the car in April 2014 @ 80k miles. Car is now on 106k miles. Are they going to go the distance ? Who Knows ?
I hope you have many years of motoring enjoyment, and hope the time didn't decrease the lifespan. Cheers!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
All the listings are for comfort. The Sport has been dropped hence only one listing. I doubt Bilstein have been producing units at all rather selling off old stock. Sport units were made in far less numbers so it logical they run out before the comfort units. I suspect soon the comforts wont be available either and your only choices will be aftermarket and no cats
I believe the Bilstein B4 aftermarkets retain the CATS functionality. They can be had for about $850US. Also, I'm still seeing the OEM Sport Struts listed:

https://jaguarmerriamparts.com/parts...6%20COMPONENTS

STRUTS & COMPONENTS for 2004 Jaguar XJR

Whether or not they actually have them, I'm not sure.

Regards,
Odysseus

hisport (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Cool '04 vs '07 Real XJR Struts????

[QUOTE=odisyus;1448483]I believe the Bilstein B4 aftermarkets retain the CATS functionality. They can be had for about $850US. Also, I'm still seeing the OEM Sport Struts listed:

Whether or not they actually have them, I'm not sure.

Whew...the plot thickens!

I went to the Gaudin site (tks Odysseus) and, noting that the (front) XJR struts shown were for 2004; checked also for 2007. And, different part numbers for 2007 (vs 2004), for both XJR AND "comfort" struts.

IRRC, aftermarket Bilstein and Arnott use same part numbers for '04 and '07

So, whats the diff between '04 and '07 OEM struts?

Here's the Gaudin for '07 XJR:

C2C41354 STRUT, LEFT
SPORTS SUSPENSION
$1,380.00 $1,121.25
1 C2C41354 STRUT, RIGHT
SPORTS SUSPENSION
$1,380.00 $1,121.25

...and for the 2004 XJR:

1 C2C41346 STRUT, LEFT
SPORTS SUSPENSION
$1,380.00 $1,121.25
1 C2C41346 STRUT, RIGHT