XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear diff oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeboost
A nice warm sunny day; time for that diff oil change. Mine has the plug (red thread lock), you will need a 3/8 drive. Off came the plug with gunge (I think a UK tech term) on it, but no metal particles. My cat has 38k miles. The plug looked magnetic but I forgot to check it in all the excitement. I used the $6 HF extraction pump with no probs, and had 1.3 liters when I sucked air. You will a warm diff in colder climes. You can see that the diff oil is decidedly black; glad I did this. I dropped the car to level once it started to weep during the fill (75W140 full syn). Jacked it backup and replaced plug with thread lock. Oh, you will need a 3/8 torque wrench, 34Nm or 25ft/lbs. About 30 mins if you don't spend time gawking under there.:
The oil looked like that at 30,000 miles? Ahhh... I will change my soon since it has 48,000 miles. I had the rear end whine on my 1997 XJ6 (just sold the car yesterday). I happened at around 55,000 miles. Luckily, I was able to purchased an entire rear end (sub-frame, shocks, sensors, brakes,and all for $300.00). My friend and I dropped the entire rear end and swapped. That was five years ago.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

A nice warm sunny day; time for that diff oil change. Mine has the plug (red thread lock), you will need a 3/8 drive. Off came the plug with gunge (I think a UK tech term) on it, but no metal particles. My cat has 38k miles. The plug looked magnetic but I forgot to check it in all the excitement. I used the $6 HF extraction pump with no probs, and had 1.3 liters when I sucked air. You will a warm diff in colder climes. You can see that the diff oil is decidedly black; glad I did this. I dropped the car to level once it started to weep during the fill (75W140 full syn). Jacked it backup and replaced plug with thread lock. Oh, you will need a 3/8 torque wrench, 34Nm or 25ft/lbs. About 30 mins if you don't spend time gawking under there.:
Thank you for posting those pictures! So just one bottle (1 quart) to refill with fresh gear oil? Need to do mine asap--been 82k miles and never serviced...

Old 01-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

The capacity of the diff is 1.3litres which is over 1 quart. I was surprised I managed to get 1.3 liters out with my pump. You will need 2 quarts to get the volume in the bottle to squeeze the oil into the diff. The accesses is problematic, and the bottle is below the height of the diff. It would make life easier if you had an extension tube for the gear oil bottle. (avail at auto zone type places for a couple of $)

The following 2 users liked this post by brakeboost:
Don B (01-09-2015), lcmjaguar (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 13,205 Likes on 6,553 Posts

The accesses is problematic, and the bottle is below the height of the diff. It would make life easier if you had an extension tube for the gear oil bottle. (avail at auto zone type places for a couple of $)

brakeboost,

I have one of those gear oil bottle extension tubes, and it comes in handy on our XJ40 because I can access the diff fill hole through the trunk bulkhead. For the X350 it might be easier to use one of those cheap orange fluid transfer pumps like the one shown in your third photo. I used one to refill the diff and transmission on our BMW and it works really well. With small 1 quart bottles that can easily tip, I prop the bottle between a couple of heavy items like a toolbox and the jack so I can use both hands on the pump.

The pumps are inexpensive enough that I keep a few of them on hand: one for removing old fluids, and one each for refilling with clean ATF and gear oil. I just labeled the pumps with a Sharpie permanent marker so I don't use the "old oil" pump to install new fluid, or the ATF pump to install gear oil.

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-10-2015), lcmjaguar (01-10-2015), Panthro (07-03-2018), Sean W (11-23-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Are those the correct placings for axle stands at the rear as shown in your last picture?
Do you use a jack to lift the rear of the vehicle ad if so where do you place that, under the diff?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

The take away here is obviously that differential life can be extended greatly by a fluid exchange at reasonable intervals. Not sure what those intervals would be but with 109k miles on my 06 XJ8L you can bet I'll be using some type of fluid pump/siphon to pull what I can out of there and doing perhaps 2 changes close together with perhaps 500-1000 miles in between the 2 changes.

Cambo351: I always appreciate the technical details you provide. Seems you always have stuff that I don't see anywhere else, so thanks. Do you know at what date or serial # Jaguar went from Gen 1 to Geb 2 on the differential on X350 cars?

Mt X308 had such a loud rear on it that I sold it out of fear of an expensive repair. It had an obnoxious whine even after a full fluid exchange to Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil. In my current car the plan is to change the oil BEFORE it starts sounding the death nell.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
brakeboost,

I have one of those gear oil bottle extension tubes, and it comes in handy on our XJ40 because I can access the diff fill hole through the trunk bulkhead. For the X350 it might be easier to use one of those cheap orange fluid transfer pumps like the one shown in your third photo. I used one to refill the diff and transmission on our BMW and it works really well. With small 1 quart bottles that can easily tip, I prop the bottle between a couple of heavy items like a toolbox and the jack so I can use both hands on the pump.

The pumps are inexpensive enough that I keep a few of them on hand: one for removing old fluids, and one each for refilling with clean ATF and gear oil. I just labeled the pumps with a Sharpie permanent marker so I don't use the "old oil" pump to install new fluid, or the ATF pump to install gear oil.

Cheers,

Don
Good idea with the multiple use of those inexpensive pumps; I think I will do the same. The problem, as I am sure we are all familiar with, is keeping the cheap plastic tubes where they were pointed, especially in cold weather. I'll try some small spring clamps from my woodworking next time.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by trosty
Are those the correct placings for axle stands at the rear as shown in your last picture?
Do you use a jack to lift the rear of the vehicle ad if so where do you place that, under the diff?
The correct floor jacking and support points are in the workshop manual General Information P81(there's also a warning about asymmetric lifting). I would never lift a multi-link suspension vehicle by the diff. I think I remember reading that last years Mustang was the last American car with a rigid rear axle. Whilst I used to 'lift by the diff' in the 70s (UK), the cars where a lot lighter, and there wasn't much to break on a "Dagenham Dustbin."

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag jacklift.pdf (651.5 KB, 208 views)
The following users liked this post:
trosty (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

The correct floor jacking and support points are in the workshop manual General Information P81(there's also a warning about asymmetric lifting). I would never lift a multi-link suspension vehicle by the diff. I think I remember reading that last years Mustang was the last American car with a rigid rear axle. Whilst I used to 'lift by the diff' in the 70s (UK), the cars where a lot lighter, and there wasn't much to break on a "Dagenham Dustbin."
Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for clarification.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

A funnel works well for this job.

Put a long piece of vinyl hose on the funnel outlet, put other end of hose in filler
hole, hang funnel on a magnetic hook located high up on the right rear quarter
panel. The hose should be draped down into the wheelwell and to the filler as
directly as possible.

Pour in diff lube until it drips.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

my old dad used a red Wesco oil can. I still have it, but also a modern version which has the translucent plastic hose, which is handy if you have one for filling gear oil and one for red steering fluid/atf

Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Wanted to post a follow-up since I did my diff oil today. My surprise was that my gear oil really did not need to be changed at 83k miles. There was next to nothing on the magnet, and the oil was still gold colored, only slightly dark, and smelled like gear oil should. Nothing burnt. The photo was really difficult to capture, but you can see it's still translucent and gold. Got out just 1 L, and replaced with Mobile 1 75w140 synthetic.

Did it need new diff oil at this mileage? In my opinion, no. Will it hurt to have changed it? No, certainly not.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhamilton:
lcmjaguar (01-20-2015), Panthro (07-03-2018)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
Cambo351: I always appreciate the technical details you provide. Seems you always have stuff that I don't see anywhere else, so thanks. Do you know at what date or serial # Jaguar went from Gen 1 to Geb 2 on the differential on X350 cars?
Sorry, missed this before.

The Gen1 diff was only ever used on the S-Type. The X350 started out with Gen2 and then went to Gen3 at the end of the production run.

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ntials-134733/

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

that's very clean. My magnetic plug was quite fluffy at 65K miles.

Do you think it might have been changed before?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Who can find it? Cambo Can!

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Sorry, missed this before.

The Gen1 diff was only ever used on the S-Type. The X350 started out with Gen2 and then went to Gen3 at the end of the production run.

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ntials-134733/

Thank you sir. No worries - it was not critical info but more a case of furthering my X350 knowledge. When it comes to technical data, I have seen you post details on things that I have seen nowhere else. I thought I was really good at finding info on the web, but when it comes to research, I bow to your greatness!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PigletJohn
that's very clean. My magnetic plug was quite fluffy at 65K miles.

Do you think it might have been changed before?
No, I can almost guarantee it was not changed before. Car was still under warranty when I bought it and all service was done at the dealer (even oil changes).

And this car has seen mostly highway driving--the previous owner did lots of runs between NC and FL, so I was expecting to see it quite burnt. The power steering fluid was much worse at 50k miles. This diff had little more than break-in debris in it. No matter, now all of my fluids are up to date.