XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear parcel shelf window blind

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear parcel shelf window blind

Hi,

I've purchased a rear blind parcel shelf and corresponding roof console cover but have run into a couple of issues.
Firstly, with regard to the roof console with the addition of the roof blind switch. After swapping this, I now have a problem with the interior lights. The map lights work individually but when switched on together, either go dim or off. Also the middle light in the console doesn't work at all. I swapped the console cover back to the original one to check I hadn't broken anything in the process and all lights work correctly. Putting the replacement one back and checking the map light connector prongs locate properly, exactly the same problem ensues. It could be an earthing problem but I'm not sure where, as there is just the main block connector, (works fine with the original console cover), which I assume must have the power and earth for the centre light and the prongs are earth/power for the map lights. The only thing I haven't done is connect the roof blind at the rear of car as that is my other issue. My only other thought was maybe the earth 'circuit' is affected somehow because there is now an extra switch in the roof console which isn't connected at the other end, however I think this would be unlikely.
So, leading onto the second issue. After reading various posts for aftermarket fitment of the rear blind, I was pretty confident my car would be pre wired for it, which I think it is but the connector which I believe it to be, needs a short connecting harness to go from it to the connector on the blind, which I wasn't expecting. As you can probably guess the blind didn't come with it, the breakers have already crushed the car it came from and I'm not having any joy sourcing one elsewhere. If I have the correct connector, (it is a grey one with three wires going to it, fixed towards the top of the vertical section behind the rear of the seat rest on RHS of car, (looking towards front). Of the three wires, one is earth, one live and the other a switched live and I thought I could probably fashion my own harness but the connector socket on the blind has five or maybe even six connectors and I don't know which correspond to the ones I need to connect.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Default Window blind update

Good evening, I thought I'd post this update regarding my electric rear window blind issue which may be of assistance to anyone considering doing the same.
After vising my local Jaguar main dealer, I was advised that the short connecting harness I required does not have its own part number and is not available to purchase separately. It only comes with the whole window blind unit. I have not been able to source a secondhand one but had to obtain another electric blind with the harness attached.
If anyone experiences the same predicament, I have attached some pictures which may help in making up your own harness to fit.

IMG_0874 - Copy (2).JPG

The window blind socket has six pins;
IMG_0890 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0891 - Copy.JPG

The harness has four wires/pins;
IMG_0879 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0878 - Copy.JPG

The wiring loom from the roof console switch has three wires/pins;
IMG_0881 - Copy.JPG

The connections are as follows:

Window blind socket Pin 1 - to - Harness Pin 2 (Brown wire)

Attached Thumbnails Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0874-copy-2-.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0876-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0878-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0879-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0881-copy.jpg  

Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0885-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0890-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0889-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0891-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0892-copy.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Default Window blind harness

...... that seemed to post of it's own accord...........

Good evening, I thought I'd post this update regarding my electric rear window blind issue which may be of assistance to anyone considering doing the same.
After vising my local Jaguar main dealer, I was advised that the short connecting harness I required does not have its own part number and is not available to purchase separately. It only comes with the whole window blind unit. I have not been able to source a secondhand one but had to obtain another electric blind with the harness attached.
If anyone experiences the same predicament, I have attached some pictures which may help in making up your own harness to fit.

IMG_0874 - Copy (2).JPG

The window blind socket has six pins;
IMG_0890 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0891 - Copy.JPG

The harness has four wires/pins;
IMG_0879 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0878 - Copy.JPG

The wiring loom from the roof console switch has three wires/pins;
IMG_0881 - Copy.JPG

The connections are as follows:

Window blind socket Pin 1 - to - Harness Pin 2 (Brown wire)
Window blind socket Pin 2 - to - Harness Pin 1 (Black wire)
Window blind socket Pin 3 - No wire
Window blind socket Pin 4 - to - Harness Pin 3 (Red/Blue wire)
Window blind socket Pin 5 - No wire
Window blind socket Pin 6 - to - Harness Pin 4 (Red wire)

IMG_0892 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0876 - Copy.JPG

Roof console loom Pin 1 (Black wire) - to - Harness Pin 1 (Black wire)
Roof console loom Pin 2 (Yellow/Black wire) - to - Harness Pin 2 (Brown wire)
Roof console loom Pin 3 (Green wire) - to - Harness Pin 3 (Blue/Red wire)
Roof console loom Pin 4 (No Wire) - to - Harness Pin 4 (Red wire)
IMG_0885 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0889 - Copy.JPG

Hope this is of some help.

Attached Thumbnails Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0876-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0885-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0889-copy.jpg   Rear parcel shelf window blind-img_0892-copy.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Mickeyluv:
lcmjaguar (03-29-2016), toxo (06-21-2020)