XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear Seat Entertainment questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Rear Seat Entertainment questions

2 questions for the team here :

1) For some reason my left hand side part of the rear entertainment system has went into "standby mode" and refuses to come out of it, ie

I can't do anything with the left hand side at all. The screen in the headrest comes on, but there is no picture on it. With "Left" selected as per the picture, pressing "Audio Select" does nothing. Pressing "Video Select" does nothing.. Even pressing the left hand volume control does nothing. Everything works perfectly on the Right Hand Side

It was working when I got the car so either it's checked out, or I've done something to it, which is entirely possible, but I do actually know how to use the Rear Entertainment system, so I'm kind of certain I'm trying to do the right things, but it's not responding.

2) I have 2 pairs of the following headphones which were in the car when I bought it....

Are these supposed to work with the Alpine DVD player ? I have put new batteries in them and fiddled but I can't get them to work. I'm imagining I need to pair them with the car somehow, but I'm not sure how that is done.

I know a few members here have the rear entertainment, and that a few of you also have young teenage children, which seems to be a required accessory to get things working properly.

Any help appreciated

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,352 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Regarding the headphones, mine only has the plug in kind using the jacks in the pic you posted. Most wireless headphones use IR which requires no pairing but I do not believe Jag ever offered that until 2010.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I was reading about the new IR ones... they look cool.

I was looking around for IR transmitters that would plug into the 3.5mm jacks as I'm guessing thats probably how it was being used previously

My biggest concern is the LHS being in standby...... I disconnected the battery overnight and reconnected this morning, but same Standby status :-(

Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

while looking for more info on my "standby mode" on my rear entertainment, I stumbled across this...

Sky Motor Cars | Pre-owned Dealer | West Chester, Pennsylvania

4th picture from the bottom shows 2 pairs of headphones exactly the same as mine...... now I am intrigued......

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

From the workshop manual....

An additional system is fitted to the Super V8 Portfolio. This system is an enhancement on the
premium system, offering a 7.1 channel Dolby Pro Logic 2 surround sound system. In addition to the
premier system, the Dolby Pro Logic 2 system has two additional surround speakers in the rear parcel
shelf and a centrally mounted speaker in the instrument panel. It has an improved subwoofer with an
enclosure, and this is mounted to the underside of the parcel shelf. The mid-bass door speakers have
been uprated, with the front speakers needing an additional amplifier, and this is mounted in the
luggage compartment. For the vehicles fitted with the rear seat entertainment, the system will also
offer infra red headphones.

It's just a pity I don't know how they work :-(

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have that set, but I have a set of IR headphones for my rear entertainment system. The transmitter is located in the headrest/screen area. On mine it is important that you are wearing them "correctly". Mine are clearly marked "Left" and "Right". If you put them on the wrong ears, the receivers are facing the back of the car and will not work.

I have the S-type optional rear entertainment, installed in my VDP.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Dave

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I did make sure I had them on the right ears, and a few other things, but still no joy. I'm wondering where the IR transmitter would be....... It sounds like yours has quite short range..... I was thinking if the Portfolio does have a transmitter it could be with the extra amplifier which is in the trunk, but then maybe the signal wouldn't get through the trunk firewall ?

I think the car is going to have to go to the dealer for the "standby" issue, as well as a TCM reset and the activation of Global closing

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,352 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
Hi Dave

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I did make sure I had them on the right ears, and a few other things, but still no joy. I'm wondering where the IR transmitter would be....... It sounds like yours has quite short range..... I was thinking if the Portfolio does have a transmitter it could be with the extra amplifier which is in the trunk, but then maybe the signal wouldn't get through the trunk firewall ?

I think the car is going to have to go to the dealer for the "standby" issue, as well as a TCM reset and the activation of Global closing

IR is directional, line of sight light so it would most likely be in the headrests or headliner. Do you not have access to the rear entertainment handbook?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 773 Posts

FWIW, My system can switch between stand by, off and on by merely pressing the on-off dial, then choosing the audio and video sources.
Of course this assumes that on the centre console, the rear mult-media is set to either 'on' or 'headphones only'.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
IR is directional, line of sight light so it would most likely be in the headrests or headliner. Do you not have access to the rear entertainment handbook?
Yes, I have all the manuals for the rear multimedia, but there is no "special" suppliment for the Portfolio, so there is no mention about IR headphones.

Originally Posted by guy
FWIW, My system can switch between stand by, off and on by merely pressing the on-off dial, then choosing the audio and video sources.
Of course this assumes that on the centre console, the rear mult-media is set to either 'on' or 'headphones only'.
Hi Guy

Good feedback, thanks. Just to be clear, you can get the words "Standby" coming up on your rear entertainment screen display ? Then pressing either volume knob wakes it up ? In the past all I remember is that pressing both knobs would turn the system off (and the display went blank and dark) or turn the system on. I don't remember ever seeing "Standby" on the display... it was either off or on. I know the rotary piece of the knob is working because when the switchpack is set to control the car speakers I can raise and lower the volume using the left hand rotary knob. Could it be as simple as the push operation of the rotary knob has stopped working ? I wasn't thinking that until now because I believed that the system was locked up somehow and that I had to do something else to wake it up (ie not just press the rotary knob), but if it's "normal" to see standby on the display, then maybe it's the switch...... ?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
guy
Veteran Member

hmmm... good thinking. Please be certain that on the driver's centre console you are set to either 'headphones' or 'on' prior to completing your test of the knob. But without a doubt, I can turn on or off the rear multimedia from either dial. Also, I can switch between standby, off or on. Good Luck! Did you consult the manual?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM
guy
Veteran Member

and perhaps like me, you need a lesson from my 13 year old son. ;-)

Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

@Guy

Thanks for the feedback. I've been all through the manuals but nowhere does it mention about standby mode. Yes, I do have the RSE activated from the front screen. I've tried "On" and "headphones only", nothing works :-(

It's time to go to the dealer me thinks

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM
guy
Veteran Member

give the until Sunday.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Sorry that it took me longer than expected...
By depressing either side's volume switch I am able to place the mode into Stand-By, and back.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

@guy

Thanks for the confirmation. If you watch this video..... 2012-04-30_18-54-26_799 - YouTube you will see that my system is not behaving as its supposed to. I have confirmed the left hand side switch is physically working because when the system is switched off from the front screen, pressing the left hand (or right hand) button on the rear switch pack displays "System locked", ie 2012-04-30_18-53-42_83 - YouTube.

I'm stumped :-(

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Nice video. And I am stumped as well.
With the Left Selector highlighted, I would expect that by depressing the LH volume knob, that you would have moved from Stand-By mode.
You've raised the stakes. Let me see if my video skills are as competent as yours.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, for sure that's what it used to do.

The thing I still don't get is that before when everything was working, the system was either on (display was lit up) or off (display was dark and blank) I had never seen this standby on the display before, in fact I don't understand what a standby mode would actually do....... wouldn't it be simpler to just have off and on ??

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

While no help on the standby/on/off mode, if you ever want to see if the IR emitters are emitting, use your digital camera/cell phone camera. They will 'see' IR emissions clearly.
Test with your TV remote if you want to see.

The following users liked this post:
Sarc (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

@dsetter

Interesting.... I'd never heard that before. So I switch on the IR headphones and take a picture of them and I see some kind of interference ? (Sorry if that sounds dense)

On another note, I see you are in Gilroy..... Some of us Bay Area folks are trying to get a meeting going......... details in this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...a-36205/page5/..... June 10th, 9.30am at Alices restaurant on Skyline Blvd, Woodside

If anyone shows up and fixes my RSE, I'll buy their burger for them :-)

Last edited by Sarc; 05-17-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Entertainment questions