XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

rear side marker light re-fabricate ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rear side marker light re-fabricate ideas

My rear side marker light was out. After removing the housing I discovered the bulb and connector were rusted, the terminal rusted away.

How can I get a generic bulb and socket to rewire to the harness and somehow fasten (even if I have to use epoxy) in the housing?

Where would I buy a cheap bulb socket.

(the dealer wants $85.00 for the entire assembly. I only need a bulb and socket)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rear side marker light re-fabricate ideas

Guessing that's a normal wedge based bulb or even if it's a socket, I'd just head to any automotive shop and they should have a bulb connector that you could wire up to the existing wires. Wouldn't think you'd have to pay more than $5 for theconnector and it may even come with a bulb.

Needless to say, make sure it's of the 12V variety.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Look at junkyards too. Cut the connector off the harness there and solder it on.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Water comes in through a poor seal between the outer red lens and the lamp housing proper and from the back behind the wheel arch liner. If your lamp is still good, as a preemptive strike you can coat the connector terminals with silicone type grease(Sil Glyde or tune up lube) and this will protect the terminals from the corossion. The lens is a little harder to seal without marring the appearance as the actual plastic weld area is a very thin line around the outer circumfrence(thus the common failure). CAREFUL application of a sealer type hot glue will do the trick if you are careful of appearance. That said if you are friendly with a dealer technician I know I have at least 30 lamp sockets and a few harness connectors stashed away to make this repair and every other tech in the shop has his own stash. Unfortunately Jaguar does not offer a harness repair kit at this time and my connectors are removed from scrap harnesses and FYI the fuel injector connector on nearly all Jags is nearly the same and only requires filing off one of the locating tabs on the lamp socket to be used in place of the original.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I can sell you a new factoryrear sidemarker with bulb holder for $25.00 plus $5.00 shipping, and include a good used harness connector for the bulb socket in required for another $10.00.

Please send me a PM if I can be of assistance.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
I can sell you a new factoryrear sidemarker with bulb holder for $25.00 plus $5.00 shipping, and include a good used harness connector for the bulb socket in required for another $10.00.

Are these parts still available? I need to replace both rear markers and the front right.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by eastorlando
Guessing that's a normal wedge based bulb or even if it's a socket, I'd just head to any automotive shop and they should have a bulb connector that you could wire up to the existing wires. Wouldn't think you'd have to pay more than $5 for the connector and it may even come with a bulb.
Purchased 3 marker bulb sockets from Autozone for $15.00
It's been over 3 years since this thread was started and the price is still the same.

Will do a little modification tonight or tomorrow.

Happy New Years

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lamp sockets/harness connectors

I have a 2006 XJR that I just purchased that has a front and rear side marker with rusted lamp sockets and harness connectors. I was hoping that you still had the lamp sockets and harness connectors available for purchase from your post.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Water comes in through a poor seal between the outer red lens and the lamp housing proper and from the back behind the wheel arch liner. If your lamp is still good, as a preemptive strike you can coat the connector terminals with silicone type grease(Sil Glyde or tune up lube) and this will protect the terminals from the corossion. The lens is a little harder to seal without marring the appearance as the actual plastic weld area is a very thin line around the outer circumfrence(thus the common failure). CAREFUL application of a sealer type hot glue will do the trick if you are careful of appearance. That said if you are friendly with a dealer technician I know I have at least 30 lamp sockets and a few harness connectors stashed away to make this repair and every other tech in the shop has his own stash. Unfortunately Jaguar does not offer a harness repair kit at this time and my connectors are removed from scrap harnesses and FYI the fuel injector connector on nearly all Jags is nearly the same and only requires filing off one of the locating tabs on the lamp socket to be used in place of the original.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM

Purchased two sockets with wire leads for $6.00 off of eBay. Used a hot glue gun to affix them to the housing (wanted to be able to remove them if needed). Worked perfectly. Both fronts were rusted and unusable. Took about 15 minutes for each side.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio

Are they still available for purchase? If so, I could use one for the front, passenger side marker.