XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear Suspension

G'day to you all.
All the bushes are worn on the rear suspension of my 2005 XJL so I was thinking of replacing the upper and lower wishbones on either side with new air shocks. A complete rebuild.
When I look at the Rimmer Bros site they only list one type for both upper and lower wishbones but SNG Barretts list 3 depending on VIN number. There is quite a difference in price so I does anybody know what is the difference between the 3?
Keep happy and Merry Christmas to you all.
Jim

Old 12-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Why fit new air shocks if the ones you have are OK? The bush at the bottom wears out fast, but is available separately, and even replaceable in situ with the right kit.

As for the wishbones, I am not aware of any change in dimensions. What is probably being quoted is the VINs when these were fitted. I replaced a RH lower rear wishbone a couple of months ago, and the latest one was fitted as these have distinctive grid-like casting marks where the bushes are pressed in. I think the later bushes are improved to give a longer life as the early ones didn't last five minutes, OK a bit longer but pretty poor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (12-11-2016), jamwilbat (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info Fraser. I am replacing the shocks as they have 200k on them and I have noticed that when the car has been resting for a while when I start up you can see the rear end start to pump up. So I thought if I am going to rebuild the suspension I might as well do the whole lot and be done with it. I have measured both sides before starting on an even surface and there is a difference of 15mm when running 5mm.
Happy Xmas

Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi Jim,

I can't argue with installing new rear air springs/dampers, but you might also want to check for leaks at the air hose fittings on the tops of the units. Spritz a little soapy water on the fittings and around the top seal of the air springs, taking care not to wet the electrical connectors for the ECATS solenoids. Bubbles indicate a leak. If you find a leaking fitting, it would be a good idea to replace the brass fittings and compression rings or "olives." Our member abonano has posted extensively on this topic, so search for his posts.

Regarding parts, I have found the folks at SNG Barratt to be very knowledgeable about Jaguars. To do your own research, you can download and install the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) from this forum, or search online at Jaguar dealer websites. In the U.S., jaguarmerriamparts.com and gaudinjaguarparts.com are two good sites. I assume Australia has equivalent dealer sites.

Cheers,

Don