XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

rear tie rod ends and bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default rear tie rod ends and bushings

I lucked into an arrangement with a local Technical Institute with an Automotive Service training school to do an alignment on my 06 SV8 so I dropped the car off yesterday - they have the latest alignment machines and very good instructors to oversee the work and they installed my new Pirelli P7s on the front and did the alignment this morning. Great so far.

Got an email just now saying it was done but, "... the tie rod ends and the stabilizer links on the rear need to be replaced and the bushings on both rear control arms are due for some attention." I have a good pair of rear stabilizer links from eBay I had not yet installed, but can anyone suggest a good source and part numbers for the rear tie rod ends and control arm bushings?

The other bad news is that one of my 19" rims is bent. If anyone knows of a good 19" chrome wheel for sale let me know. The spare that came with the car is an 18" rim with a new tire on it, and I'd use the bent 19" rim for a spare and perhaps trade the good 18" rim and wheel for a good 19" if one is available. I never felt vibrations and the car tracked quite well, so the bent rim must not be too bad, but I take their word that I need to change it.

Edit: Not finding these at Merrium or rockauto and not finding bushing part numbers in Jaguar EPC. So far have not found part numbers or source in the archives - still looking. The manual has the replacement proceedure for the bushings, so they must be available.

Edit 2: I found a company in the UK at http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/...s/RG%20109.htm That sells a pair of bushings for 60 pounds or about $171 for two pair plus shipping across the pond. I also found a post that said "Get the bushings from Gaudin Jaguar in Las Vegas for $34 each. Easy to change using a press with the right fixturing. They also have the arms for $500 but that is ridiculous when you can buy the bushings. " so I emailed them about the bushings and ball joints since they don't have an on-line parts list.

Attached Thumbnails rear tie rod ends and bushings-1d37df3c-ab9c-4e1e-bd83-36b6d6716109_5.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 04-13-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
but can anyone suggest a good source and part numbers for the rear tie rod ends and control arm bushings?
Does this help The definitive wishbone bush thread

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by hafren
Yes, I had run across that one which is where I found the link to Green racing Cars and their custom made bushings. Gaudin might be quicker if they have the same or similar bushings available. I didn't find any at jaguarmerrium parts - just the whole arm for $340.

With the replacement procedure for these bushings in the repair manual at 60.35.56 it seems odd to have the procedure when Jaguar doesn't have the bushings. I'd bet there is a standard bushing somewhere that would work if one just knew the needed dimensions.

Oh yes, at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...004-xj8-94229/
is a post by a guy who made some out of skate wheels.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Check this out for getting the upper rear wishbone whole arm at approx. $150 each stamped jaguar from a ford dealer. A Jaguar dealer can be from $350 up to list of $600 for just one rear arm.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-157467/

The stabilizing link is part C2C36985 = ZF Lemforder 33590-01 is 512mm long. ZF is OEM. Search for this part.

I have not researched all the bushings for the upper and lower rear wishbone arms yet so hopefully someone can chime in with part numbers, sourcing and approx. pricing info based on experience. But here is what I know so far. The joint type bushing that people are talking about getting from Gaudin jaguar in Las Vegas for $34.00 or from UK should be part number C2C36866. Two of these go into the lower wishbone arm and one goes into the upper wishbone arm, same bushing. These bushing do wear out from what I have read. I am not sure of the other "rubber" type bushing part number, this one does not tend to wear out much but can.

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 04-12-2016 at 10:36 PM.
philwarner (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
Check this out for getting the upper rear wishbone whole arm at approx. $150 each stamped jaguar from a ford dealer. A Jaguar dealer can be from $350 up to list of $600 for just one rear arm.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-157467/

The stabilizing link is part C2C36985 = ZF Lemforder 33590-01 is 512mm long. ZF is OEM. Search for this part.

I have not researched all the bushings for the upper and lower rear wishbone arms yet so hopefully someone can chime in with part numbers, sourcing and approx. pricing info based on experience. But here is what I know so far. The joint type bushing that people are talking about getting from Gaudin jaguar in Las Vegas for $34.00 or from UK should be part number C2C36866. Two of these go into the lower wishbone arm and one goes into the upper wishbone arm, same bushing. These bushing do wear out from what I have read. I am not sure of the other "rubber" type bushing part number, this one does not tend to wear out much but can.
Thanks for the part number and the info. I had a reply to my query to Gaudin from Frank Gonzales who said, "The ball joints and bushing are part of the control arms on the rear suspension. They are not sold separately from Jaguar." Maybe I should have asked about Lincoln LS bushings.

I see these lower control arm bushings for a 2000 to 2006 Lincoln LS on eBay now,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121175029328?item=121175029328&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

So I wonder if they are the same ones I need for my 06 SV8.

A search for bushing C2C36866 turns up a bushing called a lower front shock bushing like this one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-OEM-0...-/231430588331
or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-S-TYP...-/141330511187

Could it be the same bushing for the rear lower control arms?

BTW, I corrected my first question about a spare wheel from 20" to 19" - not sure why I was thinking 20" at the time, my wheels are the chromed 19" ones.

Last edited by philwarner; 04-13-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Phil

It may be easier to get your slightly bent wheel straightened. Most cities have a couple shops which do this. Google it for your area. ~$100 per wheel generally

Crown in Charlotte area did my M5 - excellent work

philwarner (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by hisport
Phil

It may be easier to get your slightly bent wheel straightened. Most cities have a couple shops which do this. Google it for your area. ~$100 per wheel generally

Crown in Charlotte area did my M5 - excellent work
Thanks, I had not heard of that. i'll check it out.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Philwarner,

The Stype Ebay link looks to be the right one. It is amazing on how the use of the Jaguar part numbers by websites is wrong quite often so going by a picture is the best way.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
Philwarner,

The S type Ebay link looks to be the right one. It is amazing on how the use of the Jaguar part numbers by websites is wrong quite often so going by a picture is the best way.
I found several sets of bushings for S-types from deutschepartsusa on eBay that say they also fit XJ8s but only up to 2005 with naturally aspirated engines. They also have sets for S-Types only and the bushing photos all look alike.

Anyone know if 2006 and/or supercharged models have different rear lower control arms? I called them and got an answering machine and left a message asking if their kit will fit my 06 SV8 - I'll see if they reply.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM

From "The definitive wishbone bush thread" it says:
The wishbones on the XJ, S-Type, XK and XF are all the same and so the bushes are compatible with each of them:
XK 2006 onwards
XJ V8 2003 onwards
S-Type 1999 onwards
XF 2007 onwards
You need 2 bushes per wishbone, 4 in total. They cost £56.40 each incl VAT and are available here.

So...Should the ebay S-Type bushings fit my 2006 SV8? I haven't heard back from the vendor yet to verify.

Is there anyone in the US refurbing wishbones (AKA control arms) at a reasonable cost with your old arms returned for a core?

The local Ford dealer quoted $390 and $345 for new ones for an S-Type based Lincoln LS which I've read are the same as our Jaguars. Or is it just the bushings that are the same?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
From "The definitive wishbone bush thread" it says:
The wishbones on the XJ, S-Type, XK and XF are all the same and so the bushes are compatible with each of them:
XK 2006 onwards
XJ V8 2003 onwards
S-Type 1999 onwards
XF 2007 onwards
You need 2 bushes per wishbone, 4 in total. They cost £56.40 each incl VAT and are available here.
I'm waiting on a quote from Racing Green Cars to ship to Pennsylvania.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by odisyus
I'm waiting on a quote from Racing Green Cars to ship to Pennsylvania.
Still waiting for a quote from Racing Green Cars. First pinged them on March 30th. I did get a response that they were moving their facilities and would be back up and running the following week. Since then - and three emails later - crickets...

Anyone know if they're still in business?

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Still waiting for a quote from Racing Green Cars. First pinged them on March 30th. I did get a response that they were moving their facilities and would be back up and running the following week. Since then - and three emails later - crickets...
Just found these online as well:

S-TYPE e XJ Rear lower control arm bushes - SILENTBLOCKS

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've found three other sites that sell rear lower control arm bushings that you may want to consider:

1. Jaguar X350 Steering / Suspension / Bushes Parts

I called them and spoke with Anthony, who I found to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He knew exactly what I was looking for and what the issues are; and he took the time to discuss the alternatives and ramifications with me. Ultimately, I decided to purchase OEM Lemforder arms from him at 136 pounds each, which is about 30 pounds more (about $42) than 3 bushings alone would cost. I decided that the relatively small cost differential was not enough to justify the time and effort it would take me to replace the bushings -- and I would not have any risk of messing up the arm removing or pressing in bushings. I thought shipping from overseas might be an issue, but they should get here in less than a week.

2. X 350 Archives - JAGUAR SPARES NORTH EAST. This website has all 3 bushings at 105 pounds per wishbone. I do not know who the manufacturer is however--they are not OEM Lemforder, so I recommend you discuss that with them to satisfy yourself as to their quality.

3. Powerflexusa.com. This website has the bushings for about the same price, but they are sold in pairs. These are polyurethane bushings which have different operating characteristics that you may want to research first. My understanding is they last far longer, but may be "squeak" more frequently than rubber. The recommendation I've heard that solves that problem is to use antiseize as a lubricant, which apparently doesn't loose its effectiveness over time.

I had such a good experience with Anthony that I have to recommend that you call him to discuss your needs--tell him that Dan B from the US referred you and maybe he'll give you a small discount .... or hang up on you...lol.

Last edited by Dan.B; 04-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan.B
Jaguar X350 Steering / Suspension / Bushes Parts

I called them and spoke with Anthony, who I found to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He knew exactly what I was looking for and what the issues are; and he took the time to discuss the alternatives and ramifications with me. Ultimately, I decided to purchase OEM Lemforder arms from him at 136 pounds each, which is about 30 pounds more (about $42) than 3 bushings alone would cost. I decided that the relatively small cost differential was not enough to justify the time and effort it would take me to replace the bushings -- and I would not have any risk of messing up the arm removing or pressing in bushings. I thought shipping from overseas might be an issue, but they should get here in less than a week.

I had such a good experience with Anthony that I have to recommend that you call him to discuss your needs--tell him that Dan B from the US referred you and maybe he'll give you a small discount .... or hang up on you...lol.
Excellent Dan - thanks! Would you mind sharing the total cost with shipping in $US?

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 04-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Sure, but I am out of town on business and won't see the invoice until Monday next. I'll post it then.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM

Anyone know if they're still in business?
Finally got a response from Racing Green. They said their facility move took longer than anticipated and had some complications affecting email. Anyway, the 4 lower rear control arm bushings, delivered to me in Pa. is £140.95 which equates to about $206.

Panthro (10-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM

Shipping costs from the UK are high. For 20 kilos of goods, it cost me L80, or about $112 for 5-6 day shipping. I bought heavy stuff including bearings hubs and the lower rear Lemforder control arms. The shipping cost per control arm is L36 if shipped alone.

For a light package containing bushings etc., it costs L15 or about $21. Anthony charges L29 each for the two rear lower bushings, so it would cost about L131 for the four bushings, delivered, about the same as what Odisyus found from Racing Green.

Hope this is useful info for somebody. For me, it worked out much cheaper than what I could get in the US, even with the shipping.

Dan

Btw, there is a small customs charge that Uncle Sam requires. For about $1,000 in goods it was an additional; $33.

Panthro (10-02-2016)