XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rebuilt transmission in 2004 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rebuilt transmission in 2004 XJ8

I have just had a remanufactured transmission installed in my 2004 XJ8 (150k miles). Yeah, I know that's "over-investing" but I love this car and it is in beautiful condition. My indy Jag guy suggested I go reman, if for no other reason, a 3 year warranty on it. The car obviously drives FAR better than before the new transmission, but here is my question: what should my expectation be for the performance of the car with the new transmission? Generally speaking, it runs well, but it is still occasionally clumsy and not, I would think, really the equal with a "new" transmission. Am I just being unrealistic with my expectations or should I bring to someone else to have them evaluate. It's not an issue that the transmission is a C+ performer. It's more like a B+ or A- and I'm wondering whether I should be happy with that or be trying to bridge the gap between A or A+ and the A- or B+. I realize that's pretty fuzzy, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from the more experienced members of this site. Thanks for any of your insights!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

A rebuilt, or re-manufactured transmission is going to be primarily the internal, wearable parts in the clutches, gaskets, seals, remaned torque converter, etc. It would be interesting to note what was done to the valve body also. Were the valves replaced, or the ports re-bored with larger valves, new o-rings on the solenoids, etc? If not, for under $300, ZF sells re-built valve bodies - not sure about the solenoids being on it, but still...if something doesn't feel right with just the guts of the tranny replaced and freshened up, the valve body would be next logical place to explore. You could mount your TCM onto a ZF valve body, get the solenoids swapped over, and it could be a whole new driving experience. Oh yah, also clearing of the adaptations...only performed by using the jaguar dealer software (SDD/IDS) will start the car's learning curve on the new tranny all over again. That would be the first thing I would do before thinking of valve body potential.

I'm in Ft Worth, if you ever come this way some weekend, I can clear your adaptations for you in about 1-hour. It takes so long to go through that particular software option. While we're at it, I can always lower your suspension for you if you think its a little too high Dealer will likely charge you 1-1.5 hours, so it may be a tossup in the expense category.