XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Recurring P0171 OBD II CODE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 11scotthair11
The P1646 code also resolved itself. I guess the moral to my long-winded story is that vacuum leaks can and might behave differently in different temperature environments, and it would be wise to test for vacuum leaks at various engine temperatures. So finally my long quest to resolve this problem is over, but I think there are also questions to be asked about the fix itself. Such as if the vacuum leak was located on top of the throttle body, why did it not affect both Bank 1 and bank 2 equally and simultaneously as logic would suggest? Just food for thought, I suppose. I thank you all for your wise and generous advice to me in helping me resolve this without an expensive trip to the dealership. This forum is a wonderful source of knowledge and experience for us relative novices. Much appreciated!
Kindest regards,
Scott
This may or may not make sense because my mind is rather muddled this morning.

However, perhaps the components on one bank are worn more than on the other side and the vacuum leak affects the worn components more on the worn side. (Valve guides, seals, piston rings, etc...) Kind of like how the electrical energy going to the coils may (should) be equal on all coils, the spark produced by each coil may not be equal. A bad alternator may produce enough juice for all the coils but a weak coil may be impacted more than the others. So while you may improve the baseline engine performance by replacing a weak coil, overall you may still need to replace the alternator.

I don’t think I am expressing this well but hopefully you will get the idea. Thanks for sharing how you discovered the leak. Very often by the time I get started trying to find a problem such as a vacuum leak my car is thoroughly warmed up. Heck lately I don’t even get started until after I have done a few errands.