XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Refurbished Sepangs? Photos colors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Refurbished Sepangs? Photos colors?

Hey all,

So for some reason my Sepangs have started to loose their finish over the past few months. It has ben a slow process which has speeded up quite significantly. I also see a few bubbles near the center caps. This is for my platinum 2004 XKR. I do like the factor look however I am unsure I will get a powder that matches. Any ideas? Photos?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

as long as you get them all repainted at the same time, they will match. It is less important that they match the wheels on some other car.

that said, when had my wheels refinished, the shop seemed to know the paint colour required.

If you have yours done, get the inboard part of the wheel painted as well. It is much easier to clean when in is smooth and shiny than if it is bare metal. it will need polishing or blasting. All this is easier if the tyres are off and the valve is out.

You will get a better result if you have the disk taken off the drum, and either throw away the stainless ring, or buy new ones. They somewhat expensive. You will need a competent and experienced wheel finisher to dismantle the wheels and re-assemble with a new seal, preferably painting the parts when dismantled and no screws in the way.

Before you spend money on paint, have them tested for truth and if necessary bent back to shape. They tend to buckle on the inboard edge due to the very low profile tyres, and absence of support from disk or spokes. If they are cracked, you can probably buy replacement wheels cheaper than a good quality repair. I keep a repainted spare with tyre in case I have to take one in for repair. It will not fit in the boot unless you remove the protective foam over the air bottle.

The following users liked this post:
XxSlowpokexX (11-30-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Got Sepangs on my XJR and had all five refurbished last year, although mine are the ones without the stainless trims (thank God!)

The people who did the refurb painted them "BBS Silver" apparently. I seem to recall Sean B mentioning that the colour of the BBS wheels was "Mercedes Sparkle Silver" but when I touched up one of the BBS Monaco wheels on my S-Type I got a can of Merc Sparkle Silver made up, it didn't really match...

If you get all your wheels done at the same time then they will match up, but if you ever have to replace one it might not match...

Old 11-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

My wheels have no curb rash although the stainless rings are dull. Id likely buff of the rings and recoat the centers. I have the proper tool to separate them. Ill look into that silver. Maybe a non factory color wont be bad I just kind of dont want it to dark or too light a silver

Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Colour (mis)match could also be that I painted it with a spray can, rather than getting it done proffesionally...

Old 11-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

I see the primer coming through in some areas. Ive noticed this on many jaguar wheels. I should shoot some photos.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

XxSlowpokexX
I have the same color and year XJR with Sepangs as well. Black interior on mine. A few years back, I replaced the trim rings and repaired a few dings in the spoked portion when the wheels were disassembled. I actually took the spoked portion to a local auto supply store and purchased a few bottles of brush touch up paint to get the best match.
If I were to replace the trim rings again, I would probably get at least the spoked portion of the wheel repainted. And yes, I do agree, painting the interior part of the wheel would keep it cleaner. I clean the inside of any mag wheel when they are off the car, for any repair etc.

RyeJag

Old 11-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

The spoked portion is where the finish is fading. Its definitely getting redone. I was just thinking powdercoat instead of paint for long term durability. Do you know what the color of the touch up paint was? I will have to think about the doing the centers. I don't drive the car much so it really doesn't get dirty and removing the tires to do the centers makes me think ehhhhhh. Im currently dealing with a motor mount issue so this is next on the list. No rush as winter is here

Many thanks@