XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Removing 4 zone climate control/ floor console

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Removing 4 zone climate control/ floor console

Hi all,

In the process of removing the center console / floor console to remove the wood grain surrounding the analog clock.

It looks like one of the connectors behind the 4 zone climate control needs to be disconnected or removed to complete the job. I can't find a way to get it disconnected and my trim tool won't fit. Has anyone removed the floor console with the 4 zone climate?

Picture below. Red circle is the connector of concern.

Thanks.

or

Old 01-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 800 Likes on 672 Posts

Two way fastener?
Clip on side to move the red portion?

Old 01-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

That looks like a panel rivet/fastener where the visible portion you can see holds something like a trim piece and is then pressed into its retaining hole where it is currently located. Right now it is holding nothing.

Very common on door panels.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I have had mine out a few times. There are connections for the lighters/ 12v power, the control panel and a few others. As mentioned, it's just held in place with a fir tree clip I recall. Hope you manage without breaking the silly thing. All those connections are one reason I hate pulling the console. Once all the connections are free, and you have pulled the trim around the shifter and 4 screws there, pull the whole console back to disconnect it from the dash. Then lift the rear section up and over the ac unit.

Still curious why you are pulling the console for the desk clock. You are referring to the analog clock between the air vents, correct? The wood trim snaps out with pins in spring clips. Its metal backed but care must be taken to not bend it as we all know how easy the fast-cure polyurethane can crack in these cars.

I start at the side and slowly but firmly add pressure to the pull. No metal tools!

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Blairware; 01-20-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Reading the instructions to remove the clock.
Step #1 Remove the floor console

Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blairware
I have had mine out a few times. There are connections for the lighters/ 12v power, the control panel and a few others. As mentioned, it's just held in place with a fir tree clip I recall. Hope you manage without breaking the silly thing. All those connections are one reason I hate pulling the console. Once all the connections are free, and you have pulled the trim around the shifter and 4 screws there, pull the whole console back to disconnect it from the dash. Then lift the rear section up and over the ac unit.

Still curious why you are pulling the console for the desk clock. You are referring to the analog clock between the air vents, correct? The wood trim snaps out with pins in spring clips. Its metal backed but care must be taken to not bend it as we all know how easy the fast-cure polyurethane can crack in these cars.

I start at the side and slowly but firmly add pressure to the pull. No metal tools!

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Are there any tabs holding the console to the dash below the clock?

I have the console free besides that area but can't see any clips/tabs holding it in.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:21 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There are some alignment pegs/clips holding the top of the centre console into the dash. Lift up the console a bit at the back end, then pull it towards the rear of the car and it will come free.
I'm pretty sure you do have to remove the console to change the dash clock, as the console is in front of the wood trim which you need to remove.

Ben

Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Pay attention to where they are fastened on the dash.
So on reassembly they can be shoved back into their place.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Default Does anyone know where I can find this clip/ if it is replaceable?

Doe

Old 02-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Had to remove console today from the car to do several things. One of which was to install a new console lid. (Better done out of car) and replaced my faulty dash clock. Then one of the screws fell into the trans gate shifter and while looking in there found a broken part of the shift mechanisim on the bottom.

Had a spare shifter and installed too.

I have the 4 zone climate control

Basically...

Pop panel cover off trans control gate. 2 torx bolts to remove; 1 on on each side.

Then pop off the floor panel vent cover on each side of the rear of the console. Once removed you will find the other two torx bolts. (One on each side)

Lift a bit from the back then go up front and gently pull back on the panel that is up top.

Not so bad.

If removing console from the car you have to undo the electrical connections for the HVAC control. (I left the heated seat part of the panel in to minimize playing with those small connectors.

Pop wooden panel and undo the tiny torx bolts. Then remove remainder of the vent panel and set aside.

Once HVAC control is disconnected then you can lift the entire console out of the car.