XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Removing the vent cowl to screen panel and Top wishbone

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing the vent cowl to screen panel and Top wishbone

About to start overhauling the front suspension of my XJR 350 2004.
At this point I do not intend to remove the top wishbones as they are in good order.
But I assume it will be necessary to gain access to the inner fixings i.e. the nuts on the bolts of the inner bushes of the top wishbone when it comes to having the suspension setup again.
I can't see any reason why you can't access the offside wishbone nuts, the front being easily accessible and the rear through the removable cover to the brake fluid reservoir.
But the nearside appears to be more difficult the front wishbone nut again is accessible, but it appears you need to remove the vent cowling to screen panel together with the wipers and possibly the air intake box for the cabin air filter to get at it.
In trying a practice run all went well up until the point where the manual says to Pull the cowl from the screen.
Now I have pulled from one end as directed but it really does not want to move, I am concerned about damaging it and replacing it, so any advice would be appreciated.
If this is the only way to access the rear nearside top wishbone nut I am minded to cut an aperture in the front of the cabin are intake box for easier access by garage, then to cover it with a grommet or plastic pitch. But this would be easier with the cabin air intake box off
Regards Bill Dag

Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 673 Posts

Top wishbone nuts are easy, the bolts might be an issue though.

The following users liked this post:
Willgo (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.
That's nice to know my concern is getting at the nearside rear nut, that is left side sitting in the car. The only way I can see it getting at it is to remove the vent screen cow and the cabin filter air box. As I said in my post I am concerned about pulling it off the screen. I have given it a good hard pull at one end, but it does not want to move. Never having removed one before I'm not sure what forces needed to remove it or how it is fixed.
Do you have any experience removing this Cowling and how it attaches at the screen I'd be grateful for your advice.
As always thanks for any advice.
Bill Dag

Old 06-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

To remove the cabin air filter housing you do not need to remove the wiper cowling at all.

It will flex up high enough to maneuver the cabin filter housing out. It takes some patience getting the correct angle and using sufficient force to "warp" the housing just enough to pull free.

Willgo (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

When I replaced my front upper control arms I did not remove the cowling. I used a ratcheting wrench. It was kind of a pain, but I really didn't want to remove the cowling.

Willgo (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanks to you all your advice I think I have the definitive answer from a Jaguar enthusiast club member IRS, so I've reprinted it below for further information.

"I had problems removing this item, but you just need to be brave. It takes a good tug away from the screen at about a 90 deg angle. Don't pull downwards as you might pull the metal away from the glass. Its much like pulling a bumper off - you just need to pull/push it hard enough .
There's a ridged bit of plastic that sits in a metal trough.

If you are not touching the upper arms, then you don't need to do this. There is no adjustment at these bolts."

As always the manual assumes you have experience as a Jaguar mechanic, and the manual just gives a blissfully simple description of what is needed to be done
" Remove the cowl vent screen starting at one side and working to the opposite side."

Regards Bill Dag

Zazzy (02-23-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Willgo
Thanks to you all your advice I think I have the definitive answer from a Jaguar enthusiast club member IRS, so I've reprinted it below for further information.

"I had problems removing this item, but you just need to be brave. It takes a good tug away from the screen at about a 90 deg angle. Don't pull downwards as you might pull the metal away from the glass. Its much like pulling a bumper off - you just need to pull/push it hard enough .
There's a ridged bit of plastic that sits in a metal trough.

If you are not touching the upper arms, then you don't need to do this. There is no adjustment at these bolts."

As always the manual assumes you have experience as a Jaguar mechanic, and the manual just gives a blissfully simple description of what is needed to be done
" Remove the cowl vent screen starting at one side and working to the opposite side."

Regards Bill Dag
OK, just did this, replacing engine on X358. Felt stuck, no way it was going to move. peeled back the rubber next to the windshield, squirted in some spray silicone all the way across, got it to slide back and forth, it will slide almost an inch, worked the lubricant in, started right at the very end, and it just zippered right out. Easy Peasy, do it again in a heartbeat now, but was stuck on it for a half hour before..
Mike