XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replace bad ECM

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Replace bad ECM

First time owner of a Jaguar. Purchased a 2005 XJ8 L in January. Appeared to be mint and ran fine for a few weeks. Then I got a reduced performance mode issue. Throttle sensor and throttle peddle position sensor error. Car stopped starting all together. In the process of performing maintenance I also discovered the steering wheel does not lock an I can't connect a code scanner to the system to diagnose.

Sent the computer off to be diagnosed and this is what i am being told:INTERNET SALES ASSOCIATE - MODULE EXPERTS: moduleexperts.com
Our technicians have informed me that diagnostics are completed on the Jaguar module, and this unit is beyond repair due to the issue being traced to the main processor (computer chip). The chip is not able to be replaced on this module, as it is made into the circuit board assembly, so you would need to replace the unit to correct the issue. There is nothing that can be done to save this unit. It must be replaced. We can provide a remanufactured replacement, with a lifetime warranty, at $499.00 (minus the repair cost), so we would need an additional $260. This would take a couple of business days, and it will need to be programmed to your vehicle after installation by a tech or dealer.

What I discovered is:
PA inspection REQUIRES the VIN to be identical to the original car body. Jaguar and every mechanic is telling me that the VIN cannot be changed in an ECM as it is burned into the board (write once) only.

Additionally the technician who checked the computer is telling me:
All it needs is the security programming done on it. It uses the same scan tool as Ford. All it needs is the VIN and keys done. The flash is already on it by us.
If you cannot find anyone, we charge $300 additional, but you have to also send us your key and the gauge cluster. It's just easier to have it done in the car.
AS you can imagine, the new computer is rare to absurdly expensive and no one locally appears to be motivated to touch the problem at any cost. What I am looking for is anyone that may have been down this road and can offer insight into the repairability of the ECM. My thought is to move/copy the prom or move the cpu from a working ECM to my unit. Not sure why this tech is telling me it can be done... I know ever item on the board is SMC. Why would this NOT be possible?