XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replace the headliner in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Replace the headliner in the car?

I took my XJR in for an estimate to replace the saggining headliner. It would be just under $600, but the guy said they do the work INSIDE the car! The mask everything off and the rip down the material, scape all the foam off, and replace new foam and fabric. All in the car.
I assured him the headliner could come out, and he liked that idea, but still said they would put it back in naked and replace the fabric while the headliner was installed in the car.
Has anyone heard of this being done?

He also said that he could not promise that alcantara would stay up if I chose to upgrade to that material.

All in all, I didn't leave with much confidence. I think I either need to do it myself or find a place that is more experienced.

Thoughts?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Mein Gott!

$600 for a headliner!!!

I have had two headliners replaced on other cars, not the Jag. Of course it has to be done from inside the car. That is where it is. The reason they sag down is that there is some foam backing that deteriorates and lets go. But $600?

Mine both cost me about $100 each. Southern Cal area. No moon roof though.

Were I you, I would get a few more estimates before jumping in.

Tom

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Everyone else seems to take the headliner out of the car, repair it, and reinstall it, right?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Drb007
Everyone else seems to take the headliner out of the car, repair it, and reinstall it, right?
I'm not so sure that is correct. Back in 1957 when I started driving the headliners were installed by anchoring the sides under the metal window surrounds that were held by screws that went into little brackets that were part of the roof. The center parts were held up by long flexible metal bows that fit into pockets where the sections of headliner joined. Sort of like the fibreglass rods in modern dome tents.

Sometime later, don't know when, they started glueing them in on the underside of the roof. First they glue in a foam layer for insulation, then they glue the headliner material to the foam. When the foam deteriorates after 5-10 years, the thing starts sagging.

So they could cut the sections of material outside and then glue them in place inside. But I am pretty sure that the old foam must be scraped off first. Otherwise the problem will just happen again.

Tom

Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the headliner replaced on my 2004 XJ8 by an independent who specializes in auto interiors a few months ago, and the guy charged me $150 for the job. He completely removed the headliner from the car and did the work, then reinstalled the headliner.

I do not know how they would be able to remove the sliding moonroof cover while it's inside the car.

When it was done, it looked like brand new and I have not had any problems with it at all. Even got a 2 year warranty from the guy.

The following users liked this post:
gatechjag (09-11-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Elbert, That is the kins of deal I'm looking for...guess I have to keep shopping.

SableCat, the Jaguar "ceiling" is a formed, thin panel that is covered in foam and the material applied to that. This gives the ceiling its shape. It is not applied directly to the metal top of the car. Until I talked to my local guy, I have never heard of anyone on this forum doing the job while it is still in the car. Rather, most conversations discuss the best way to remove it from the car! Still just a tiny bit tempted to do it myself...

The following users liked this post:
SableCat (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Drb007
Elbert, That is the kins of deal I'm looking for...guess I have to keep shopping.

SableCat, the Jaguar "ceiling" is a formed, thin panel that is covered in foam and the material applied to that. This gives the ceiling its shape. It is not applied directly to the metal top of the car. Until I talked to my local guy, I have never heard of anyone on this forum doing the job while it is still in the car. Rather, most conversations discuss the best way to remove it from the car! Still just a tiny bit tempted to do it myself...
I never heard of applying the headliner to a removable thin panel before. But then I never had a Jaguar before.

I think you have answered a question I have had since having my car just a few days: the source of the popping noise I frequently hear just above my head as I drive. When I first heard it it worried me that perhaps there was something wrong with the aluminum structure of the car. Were rivets or bonding agents coming loose?? Caused me some worry, but then I searched it on this forum and found out it is pretty common on the XJ8.

But if there is a panel between the metal roof and the headliner, that is probably the source. The motion of the car could be causing some small movement of that panel.

I very much appreciate the info.

Tom

Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SableCat
I never heard of applying the headliner to a removable thin panel before. But then I never had a Jaguar before.
It's not Jaguar specific... all car manufacturer's have done this since they got rid of the metal bow headliners in the '60s.

Now the ability to remove the headliner backing panel from the car is another question. Many cars you can't do this without removing the rear screen.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I think Jaguar used to call the headliner backing piece a "biscuit" - work that one out !

I have only ever done one, that on my previous car an XJ6 Series 3. Although it was said the panel had to come out through the rear window aperture, I managed to wiggle mine out of a back door. It was very awkward ! As said here on previous threads, it is the heat on the roof that causes the backing to fail. I have to say, though, that for me, Jaguar trim engineers really do need to get out more and see what other manufacturers use because other luxury marques don't seem to suffer this fault.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

My trim shop here, replaces the liner material in the car. He does a very good job, he says he just has to be careful. $60 hr. + parts. 3-4 hrs. tops. He has done jobs for the BJ auctions and is an excellent trimmer. I do remember when you could replace the headliner, liner and material at once for $85 but labor and prices were a whole lot cheaper back then.

Last edited by Jagfixer; 05-11-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: adds
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced mine myself in my 97 xk8. The most time consuming but easy step is to remove the center console so you are able to rotate the headliner to remove it thru the doors. The pillars that run up to the roof from the dash and rear interior 1/4 panels come off so that meant the rear seat as well. the only screws that held it up were in the front which hold and clip the sun visors. The interior light cluster above the rear-view came off and the rubber stripping around the upper portion of the windows. Clips hold the rest which can be seen once the above is removed.

If that's the case with your car, $600.00 seems fair to me. If they are doing it in the car, it could get quite messy so lots of prep work.

Hope this helps
Bruce

Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I had the XJ8 done last year for $350. They remove the board from the car to do it.They want to add $200 just do the A pillars and I will not let myself be gouged for that so I left that as is. There is no need to remove the rear glass as some shops told me (so they can crank up the bill). I did my XKR myself last fall as the job is simpler. I did it for $65 in materials.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey - can I ask who you used in Atlanta for this work? I am looking to switch out my headliner and pillars to Alcantara.

Thanks for your help.