XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replace throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replace throttle body

Greetings.
Given the issues my Vanden Plas has been having, I've decided to replace my throttle body. I'm a less-than-average mechanic, but with the information on this board, I think I'll be able to do it.
I talked with Gaudin Jaguar (again, at the recommendation of folks on this forum) and ordered it today. Frank was very patient & helpful in getting information for me. He reminded me that "on some of these cars, it might be required to take it to the dealer to relearn the settings." (That was a question that I had gotten several different answers on.) after looking up my VIN, he said all I'll need to do is unhook the battery & rehook; it'll learn by itself.
I know the throttle body is a concern for a lot of people, so hopefully this thread will help others.
The procedure seems fairly straightforward, but does anyone have any tips that I might be able to use? Anyone know what torque settings the throttle body gets tightened to? Many thanks for the support.
-Jim

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It's very straight forward. Just pay attention to the connectors and hoses as they come off, so you aren't confused when putting them back. Picture phone works great for that!

Remember to buy the new gasket. Good op to replace the air filter too.

There are connections for coolant, but mine did not even drip when I disconnected the hoses.

Once installed, turn the key on, but do not start the car. Slowly press the pedal to the floor and release 3 times to "learn" the new throttle body. then you're good to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by cjd:
Anxious Jim (09-07-2013), pkoko (01-28-2017)
Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced it tonight; many thanks John; you were exactly correct. I thought I would get a lot of response to this post. Anyway - it was ordered from Gaudin Jaguar; I talked with Frank who was exceedingly patient in helping me with my order.
Fun fact: I questioned him about the $92 shipping charge. He said he would "look into it." I left it at that. When I received the invoice, he did indeed knock about $30 off shipping. Although $62 isn't cheap to ship, I do understand that there's also handling, packaging, and insurance because my order was about $800. I honestly didn't think anything would be done about it, so
MANY THANKS TO FRANK AT GAUDIN JAGUAR for being a stand-up guy.
As John mentioned above, this is a very, very easy task. It's only (4) 8mm bolts, 2 electrical connectors, and 2 (3/4"?) coolant lines. As I mentioned, I am a less-than-average mechanic and was finished in an hour.
Initial observations are that it seems to idle smoother at startup. Response seems a little better, but the peace of mind it brings that I'm less likely to have the dreaded "limp-home mode" is worth it to me.
If anyone is considering doing this, have no fear. It's a breeze.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Glad it went well. It's a shame these cost so much. But, then, that's life with a Jag.!

Old 01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the throttle body the same procedure for a 2005 jag s type. Have to replace mine today
Thanks pat

Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Congrats Jim on getting it done. Replacing the throttle body isn't all too common so that's probably one reason you didn't get input and cod's advice was spot on.

If you don't mind, can you give some background and what lead you to the decision to replace the TB?

What symptoms, codes etc...

Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

pictures would have been great. had the throttle body replaced on my old VDP XJ8 as well. the old boy was thowing every code in the book..air suspensin faults, steering, TCM...the whole lot. After replacement of the TB...not a singlw issue...until the ex-wife stole him from me.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.