XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replaced lower control arm outer bushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Replaced lower control arm outer bushing

So I have a few clunks are rattles and traced them to the front lower control arm outer bushing (the bushing that holds the bottom of the air strut). I also need to replace the sway bar bushings but still waiting for the parts to arrive, so I thought I'd write up how I changed the bushings.

First I disconnected the battery and then jacked up the vehicle. I had to raise all 4 wheels off the ground and make sure the car is level because I am replace all 4 tires and am going to be doing a transmission service.

Next, take the wheel off and mark the location of the camber adjustment bolt located on the big inner bushing of the lower control arm that way you'll have the alignment close. You should have your alignment redone after its all back together.

Next, I removed the lower control arm. It is pretty strait forward. Just start removing everything that is bolted to it. The hardest part will probably be the lower ball joint. After loosening the nut, hit the area on the lower control arm that holds the ball joint shaft to jar it loose. I also removed the knuckle with the lower control arm to make this easier so that I could do it on the bench vise. You just have to carefully remove the sensor on the back of the knuckle first.

The only tools needed to replace the actual bushing were 2 pieces of pipe and a small sledge hammer, shown in the attached pictures

The smaller pipe is the most important. it must fit over the center rubber portion of the bushing and be less that 40mm outer diameter, so that the pipe can drive the bushing through the control arm without getting stuck in the lower control arm.

Next, setup the control arm as shown in the attachment with the larger pipe under to support the control arm and the smaller pipe on top to drive the bushing down. Make sure everything is very stable so that your hammering can be as effective as possible. Then I used the side of the hammer cause it had a bigger surface area for more stable hitting and hammered the old bushing out.

After removing the old bushing, make sure the hole is clean with no lips or gouges that could make it difficult to install the new bushing.

Add a little lube to the hole and new bushing and then use the small pipe to drive the new bushing into the hole using the same setup. make sure to be very carful that it goes in strait, always keep checking the alignment after a couple of hits in case you need to adjust you angle. Continue to drive the bushing until its centered into the lower control arm and you're done.

Then just reassemble everything in reverse order making sure to tighten all nuts and bolt appropriately.

Attached Thumbnails Replaced lower control arm outer bushing-4.jpg   Replaced lower control arm outer bushing-5.jpg   Replaced lower control arm outer bushing-3.jpg   Replaced lower control arm outer bushing-2.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by Muddybear:
anindyam (10-25-2013), BlackKat (10-23-2013), dsetter (10-24-2015), hunter34 (10-25-2013), lcmjaguar (10-29-2013), psg (10-23-2013), Reaxions (11-11-2021), XJ8JR (05-10-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Forgot to add a picture of the finished product.

Attached Thumbnails Replaced lower control arm outer bushing-6.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
hunter34 (10-25-2013)