XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replacement key for 2004 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key for 2004 xjr

Hi Gang. Has anyone successfully replaced the ignition key cylinder on an 2004 XJR? I have been hunting for a place that can get me a replacement key for about a year, with no luck. I am looking at the option of upgrading the cylinder to a more conventional type. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Grallan
Hi Gang. Has anyone successfully replaced the ignition key cylinder on an 2004 XJR? I have been hunting for a place that can get me a replacement key for about a year, with no luck. I am looking at the option of upgrading the cylinder to a more conventional type. Thanks in advance.
Cannot have been looking very seriously? There's been enough advertising and forum traffic on the subject it is a surprise it didn't hunt you down in your sleep and blow in your ear.

Best do serious research as to "upgrading" before you even make a plan, lest you become serf to flatbedding to a dealer to get it all put back to rights, OEM, at their prices, as the cheaper resolution of a problem you do not really want to have.

"Mechanical" key, remote transmitter, and RFID tag are semi-independent critters, have more than one function, (adjusting memory seat and mirrors to suit each driver, restricting carpark "valet" access, but not-only) and are not friendly to what the upstream system considers tampering or attempted theft.

Not the most effective anti-theft system as ever was, but it TRIES hard enough it can ruin your whole week without breaking a sweat.

Dealer can generate a key off the VIN - and proof of clear title, as ***-coverage - also reprogram the rest of any needfuls. The "basics" can be programmed by the vehicle itself, no third-party help required.

DIY-dedicated as I am, new key or faulty cylinder replacement is ONE class of work I'd gladly go to a dealer to get done. Even though some locksmiths can do all or 'most' of it, too - some of it even by mail or courier, "from a distance", the downsides for a seldom-needed service are not worth their risks.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-21-2024 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Thermite
Cannot have been looking very seriously? There's been enough advertising and forum traffic on the subject it is a surprise it didn't hunt you down in your sleep and blow in your ear.

Best do serious research as to "upgrading" before you even make a plan, lest you become serf to flatbedding to a dealer to get it all put back to rights, OEM, at their prices, as the cheaper resolution of a problem you do not really want to have.

"Mechanical" key, remote transmitter, and RFID tag are semi-independent critters, have more than one function, (adjusting memory seat and mirrors to suit each driver, restricting carpark "valet" access, but not-only) and are not friendly to what the upstream system considers tampering or attempted theft.

Not the most effective anti-theft system as ever was, but it TRIES hard enough it can ruin your whole week without breaking a sweat.

Dealer can generate a key off the VIN - and proof of clear title, as ***-coverage - also reprogram the rest of any needfuls. The "basics" can be programmed by the vehicle itself, no third-party help required.

DIY-dedicated as I am, new key or faulty cylinder replacement is ONE class of work I'd gladly go to a dealer to get done. Even though some locksmiths can do all or 'most' of it, too - some of it even by mail or courier, "from a distance", the downsides for a seldom-needed service are not worth their risks.
Well, thanks for your "imformative" reply. Over the past year I have contacted nearly all of dealers in Canada and those that actually respond say that they don't have the Tibbe keycutter. One dealer actually referred me to Ford dealers. Others aren't willing to touch it, they just refer me to dealers in the UK...I don't get responses from either US or UK dealers....like I said I have been trying for about a year to get one key thus the query in this forum. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:15 AM
Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Grallan, here is the definitive document describing the Key fob and it's functionality. I'm attaching it to this; hopefully it will help.

The following 2 users liked this post by ctsemicon:
Pete M (04-21-2024), Thermite (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:27 AM

Thanks...I appreciate the positive response! In addition, if ANYONE has been successful in retreiving a new key that works, I would appreciate the contact information. Thanks again....

Old 04-21-2024, 01:15 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

If you have 2 working keys already configured to the car, you can add a key with the 'key-on, key off, insert 2nd key on/off, insert key to add, key on/off.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

just find someone who can cut a tibbe key blank there’s a couple of guys on ebay or @Sone on here.

4d60 folding key off amazon works great. use sdd or a launch to program