XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replacement for the octopus quick connects?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Replacement for the octopus quick connects?

I am tracking down a small coolant leak in my 04 XJR and I think it may be coming from one of the quick connects that hook up to the steel lines on the pass side of the engine bay. Doing some research here I see work-arounds for older models that result in not replacing the entire cooling line assembly. I am wondering if anyone has done that for the 04 model year? I would like to have a plan in place before I remove the coolant lines and figured I would check here. The line seems short so I would imagine I would need to add a small length of hose. I am wondering if getting some 3/4 line and attaching that to the steel line via worm clamp and then just connecting that to the old line with a worm drive and a solid piece of line would do the trick. Thoughts from anyone who has done similar?

The alternative is if the leak remains slow, I may replace the entire assembly next spring. But already having replaced the radiator and the WP and done work in that general area, it does not seem like a lot of fun. Likewise, if I were to do that I would consider doing the valley line and getting all potential leak spots out of the way.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic_man
I am tracking down a small coolant leak in my 04 XJR and I think it may be coming from one of the quick connects that hook up to the steel lines on the pass side of the engine bay. Doing some research here I see work-arounds for older models that result in not replacing the entire cooling line assembly. I am wondering if anyone has done that for the 04 model year? I would like to have a plan in place before I remove the coolant lines and figured I would check here. The line seems short so I would imagine I would need to add a small length of hose. I am wondering if getting some 3/4 line and attaching that to the steel line via worm clamp and then just connecting that to the old line with a worm drive and a solid piece of line would do the trick. Thoughts from anyone who has done similar?

The alternative is if the leak remains slow, I may replace the entire assembly next spring. But already having replaced the radiator and the WP and done work in that general area, it does not seem like a lot of fun. Likewise, if I were to do that I would consider doing the valley line and getting all potential leak spots out of the way.
Are you certain that's not the fuel line? quick connects that hook up to the steel lines

Old 07-28-2020, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Heater hoses?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was not lazy I would meander to the shed where the car is stored and take some pics. But that is too far. But it is indeed the coolant lines connected to the octopus mess.

Thankfully some nice fella on this forum had a picture of the hoses. Right where the arrow is. The one below it actually; but same difference. I am wondering if I can remove the quick connect and just finagle a 3/4" line with a repair adapter. I just wanted to see if anyone had done it and how it worked before I bother.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Change the o-ring in the connector. Someone posted the size somewhere. Very common in the VW world.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:59 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I changed the line, but might have gotten away with the o-ring, but the line was old and not that $. at 120k original hoses are way overdue. This was the line from manifold to reservoir. Changed the seeping reservoir too.