XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Requesting advice on selling 06 super V8 Portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting advice on selling 06 super V8 Portfolio

Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Circumstances require that I sell my car. (not a happy camper!!)
It's an 06 Super V8 Portfolio in immaculate (really!) condition, 44K miles.

I would appreciate any and all comments on the following 2 questions:

1.)
For the life of me I can't figure out what to ask for this car...
Most price estimating sites don't even carry this model and the few that do are showing a sell price of 46 to 52 thousand dollars.
While I would gladly take that sum I don't think it's a realistic number.
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some guidance on this.

2.)
Where to list it.
Yes, I will of course list it on this site once I know what to ask for it.
But I also want to maximize my selling opportunities by listing on other sites.
I don't think Craigs List or even eBay are good candidates since this is such an odd ball / one off limited production car.
Again all suggestions / insights are appreciated.

Regards Michael.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

in UK, I found about 30% difference between dealer and private prices.

Condition and good evidence of FJSH are very important. somebody who is willing to take a risk on an unknown and costly problem will want to buy cheap. Several owners on the history will put off people who are looking for a near-perfect car. Flashy customising will put off anyone who does not have exactly the same taste as you. These expensive cars are often owned by prosperous old men who keep them in air-conditioned garages and tip money over them.

There are not many around so the people who want one will be looking perhaps for months to find the car they want, and probably travelling long distances. There will be traders looking to make a big margin from a chaep buy and an expensive sell.

The following users liked this post:
MerlinWizard (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 AM

p.s.

look at XJRs whch are much more common, and add on a percentage. You might be able to see what the percentage is in your country by looking at what dealers think the difference should be. Over here, LWB is very important to a good price and good demand for one of these cars. Without it, you will just be looking for a Sovereign buyer.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM

John,
Thank you for responding!

I was hoping to come up with an actual ballpark number as a starting point for me. As previously stated, the few I'm seeing are going for 42k plus, which I think is way over the top. Do you think 37K would be a reasonable number as a private sale.

Responding to your points above, I'm the second owner and the car has no after market modifications at all. It's extended warranty is still good until 4/2014.

At the risk of sounding stupid.... what do "FJSH" and "LWB" stand for? Guess I"m not too bright, LOL....

Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Michael:

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Having just bought a 06 Super V8 Portfolio 2 months ago I thought I'd offer up my 2 cents.

Pricing: you should be able to get something in the mid $30k range.
I have seen advertised ranges from $25k to $42k. The $25k was a car with a theft and accident damage (repaired). The $42k has 52k miles and has been on the market for a while (it is still available and is now listed at 33k) it is a bit rarer as it is Winter Gold. I've been told there may only be one in this color, but this is not confirmed. The car I eventually purchased was listed @ $39k and had 42k miles on it. Cosmetically it was in pretty good condition except the wheels had been poorly refurbished (and painted) and the drivers side floor mat was missing (FYI Conker floor mats, I've come to find out, are no longer available anywhere!). Mechanically it needed rear brakes and control arm bushings. Based on that I offered $34k and we met in the middle.

These prices are very high compared to standard Super V8s but the car is rarer and IMHO phenomenal. Pricing on something like this ultimately relies on what an informed buyer wants to pay for it and how desperate the seller is. Unfortunately values may be hurt as I think there are sellers out there that are not aware of how special these cars are.

As far as advertising I believe it is a matter of how quickly you need to sell the car. I would start by putting an ad on the forum. For enthusiasts you may want to try Hemmings or Jaguar World (there are quite a few North American subscribers and who knows someone in Europe or Asia may want to get there hands on one of these since there are less than 100 in the rest of the world). If you want to move it fast you may just want to go Cars.com, Auto Trader or e-Bay. I've never sold a car on any of these, but they are the first places I look.

I am not sure if this is helpful but regardless I wish you good luck.

P.S. I know LWB = long wheel base. I am guessing FJSH = full Jaguar service history.

Last edited by MarcB; 07-14-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Thank you very much!
This was most educational.
Now I have a path to follow.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 AM

Full Jaguar (agent) Service History

Long Wheel Base

I am in a different country so don't know your market.

edit
oops - too slow

Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

PS4S for sure. If you're going 18's, maybe look into Sumitomo HTR ZIII. I've heard great things about it.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
PS4S for sure. If you're going 18's, maybe look into Sumitomo HTR ZIII. I've heard great things about it.
this thread is over 5 years old, LOL...