XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Reset sensor for engine coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
You have a engine temperature gauge in your dash so you'll know when is over heating.
Just wanted to say, NO YOU WON'T

The temp gauge in the X350 is nothing more than an idiot light.

It sits exactly in the middle of the gauge from 84°C up to 110°C

You only see it move up from half-way from 110°C and it hits the red & the light comes on at 116°C.

The most useless instrument i ever came across in my life. By the time the needle moves above half way your engine is already well into the danger zone.

And that's with coolant in the engine, as Brutal says, no coolant = no high temp reading.

Don't risk it! Get yourself a cheapo ELM327 and an app on your phone to monitor the temperature.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
just want to clarify i agree, i rather have the sensor working right. And i mean with all due respect brutal because i know you helped a lot of people and i learned a lot from your posts! But i also hate when you go to a forum to ask a question and everybody gives their own opinion and never really answers the question as if i came here and ask how to jump the sensor and everybody said you shouldn't do it, i rather explain and and then give my opinion.

Now back to the problem,
  1. since you drove it for a while i am assuming that the car has no air pockets in the system. But i still wanna ask, did you open the bleed screw to get all the air out?
  2. then if the coolant is still full to the top we can assume no leaks. I never changed a temperature sensor in these cars so far, 99.9% of the time it was the stuck thermostat so as somebody suggested before i would go for the thermostat.

best of luck and merry christmas to you all!
i agree, and also remember that your speaking to people that not only can read between the lines and know what youre talking about, but also to people that take it verbatum and will shove a large paper clip in the pins to jumper it and see. Then wonder why they have new or same issues. Hell Ive seen that done from other mechanics when I get problem cars brought in cause indie shops couldnt fix. I know its hard to sometimes remember that as i assume alot of people when i post and other times when i spell it out i get the "yeah i know that im not stupid"

you never know the person your posting too or the 1000's of others that will read a post skill sets

Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Solved?

Jaggyz639, did you solve this?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Low Coolant Light :

Just took mine out & actually got on it kind of hard(my 1st time doing so) meaning aggressive starts from stop in the 0-55ish MPH zone. When I came to a stop "Low Coolant" red light came then, back to slow 35ish the light went off & flickered back on twice before I parked. All in all 15 minutes of driving. No raging fans, temp. spikes & the coolant level was normal.

I'm sure there's no air in the system as I had the radiator flushed & filled last week & I returned & had it checked for air after my heater failed to work the next day(which I've troubleshot to the heater's pump just waiting on part to arrive).

Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Alright, I'm going to piggyback on this thread. If there isn't any movement, I'll start a new one.

I just bought this car, and do not know it's coolant-story-history.
After a 1500 mile drive home, I got a Coolant Low warning the next day. I checked, and sure enough it was below the min mark. I put some dexcool in to the max marker.

I've been driving it for short trips (30- 90 min) Now, I get intermittent Coolant Low warnings on the dash. Before I start the car, I check the coolant level, and it is just higher than the max marker, but not moving up or down. I find that weird, as I didn't fill it above the max marker, just up to it. This past weekend, after doing my brakes, I left the front up on jack stands, adjusted the climate control to max high, turned the key to position 2, and let it run for 10 minutes with the cap off. Then cap back on, started it, opened the bleeder screw and let it warm up. I didn't see any air coming out, just a mess of coolant, so I shut it down and cleaned it up.

The level still is not falling at all.

I'm monitoring the temp using the Torque Pro app and this:

Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

It generally likes to stay at 197.6, but in stopped traffic, It went up to 198.8. Based on all this, I believe coolant is flowing as it should and I understand this to be a reasonable temp, so I'm not worried about doing damage.

I hate throwing parts at cars, so if anyone could give me their opinion as to what is causing the warning, I'd be grateful.

My understanding is that if the sensor is bad, it wouldn't be intermediate. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

To detect level it pretty much has to be some sort of float device and they can stick intermittently. I'd replace it.

The following users liked this post:
oilstain (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm planning on doing a coolant service within the next couple thousand miles (as my weekend schedule will allow)

I'll probably do the whole shebang: New hoses (anyone sell a kit?) thermostat and tstat housing, both aux pumps, holding tank with sensor, oh and the coolant too.

Crap, that's going to be expensive, and the complete opposite of not wanting to throw parts at the car. Hints on where to shop to get the right parts cheap are always appreciated.