XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

RHD to LHD Halogen Headlight conversion or change on 2003 X350 Jaguar 4.2 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD to LHD Halogen Headlight conversion or change on 2003 X350 Jaguar 4.2 XJ8

Hi Guys
I am a new forum member and have just purchased in UK a lovely Quartz metallic X350 4.2 Jaguar XJ8. I live in France and now have 4 weeks to get the car through the French MOT (Controle Technique) so I believe I will have to change or adapt my UK RHD headlights for driving in France.
The lights have H7 on the bottom of each glass so I assume they are halogen rather than xenon or HID and unfortunately there are no signs of convenient little side levers to switch the mechanism from right to left. Would much appreciated some feedback on my options. Can the lights be adapted or do I have to purchase a pair of European LHD lights (probably secondhand) and how long does it take to change them? Does the bumper cover have to come off or can a competent mechanic (not me!) do it without that? Have read alot on forums about inverting bits of metal inside the lights but cant see anything like that inside looking through the lens. Maybe the X350 lights are different?
Can you kind souls please treat as urgent and help me before I lose faith and regret buying the car!!
Kind regards
Richard
Assuming I have to change the units, some help with recommended suppliers would also be really useful. Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

You may want to post your question in the UK forum as well since most of the members here are from North America and will not be familiar with changing the headlamp cutoffs from RHD to LHD.

You may also want to consider acquiring the Workshop Manual for the X350 and having a read.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Mestonr (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks NBCat. Will definitely look for the Manual. Not sure about the UK though as I'm guessing it may only be Brits in Europe that can help.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Can anyone please help me to move my post to the Europe section as it is apparently in a US section at the moment?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

If you're out driving around in France, you may be stopped by the police and given a ticket for having the headlamp cutoff on the offside even if you don't have the headlamps on.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

You'd be best to ask in the X350 section of JaguarForum.com - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum (forum, as opposed to forums) which is different forum and mainly frequented by UK and EU people; some of us of course are just greedy and lurk on both :-)