XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

RMT Replacement and hauntings

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by x350

Has anyone used Suncore?
their stuff is ok, reboxed china stuff you can find under a cheaper brand on ebay. put a bag in a mercedes and it worked. any operation run by florida man is going to have terrible customer support, all sales are final.

china bags are better than rebuilt. all these new units are using resistors to avoid a cats warning

Last edited by xalty; 06-19-2021 at 12:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jason. (07-02-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:55 AM
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks x350, your input is most appreciated indeed. I am considering just putting some cheap *** thing in there to solve this. It's just such a shame that when you pay a bit more believing you are getting a quality product and in reality the opposite is sometimes true. I'm $1200 in the hole over this. My cousin is married to a state trooper over in Fort Worth, perhaps he can go have a chat with Darlene

So I replaced the sway bar bushings today and the annoying clunk is gone thank goodness. At least I have kicked one goal ffs!

To save money I shipped back the faulty strut through my fedex account. When they saw the invoice they questioned why I hadn't sent it through the postal system. When I explained I was trying to save us all a few bucks it fell on deaf ears and suspect they will reject paying the shipping as I didn't use postal. My fedex account was half the price of standard post and I guess they will reject it on that technicality. Such a litigious jurisdiction. Fair or not, that's what it says in the fine print a-hole.

I'm not sure losing cats would be a big deal. I reckon the ride is pretty crap to be honest. The wife's Mercedes E class feels better. Best suspension I ever had was a 1976 Peugeot 504ti. I loved that car so much, but it had the infamous Kugelfisher injection system that went bad and nobody knew how to fix it. Apparently there was a polish guy in Wales who services them, but he doesn't have a phone and when the river doesn't flow the water wheel stops

I do thank the universe for my health, my family and all the other good things I enjoy. After all it's only money, skin, blood, sweat and tears.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:21 PM
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

A little update on the RMT strut debacle. As you know I sent one back after it leaked and then the other one crapped out too. I tried calling Darlene and she was always out and got a generally frosty reception from the others I talked to. I sent multiple messages and requests with no replies. I was always polite, reasonable and professional about it. So, after much frustration, I thought I'd start a dispute via ebay, but found I was unable to because RMT refused to confirm they had received the strut back even though I had tracking proof one their guys signed for it. This is a bit of a loophole in favour of the seller. The option to start a dispute only appears after they confirm receipt otherwise you are stuck in limbo. It's probably not the only way, but I was at a bit of a loss and was basically getting stonewalled by RMT big time. Then It occurred to me that I had payed with paypal and so I put my case to them.

Paypal looks at my evidence and looks to RMT for a counter argument. This was put to them on the 23 June and they had until today to reply and that's right folks, you guessed it....no reply whatsoever from RMT. So the outcome is that Paypal finds the case in my favour and refunds me the entire amount which I claimed for. I claimed for the whole amount incurred including shipping and emotional harm JK

So, here comes the weird bit (yes, there's a weird bit). When the second strut leaked, it went pretty bad, like can't drive it bad. So I decided to put the old original leaky strut back in because at least that was a slow leak. As it happens I've ended up with both original shocks back in the car, but transposed, so the original leaky strut was on the LF and is now on the RF. Nothing too crazy right? Well now it doesn't leak. The car stays up even with overnight temps at freezing. I can't explain this and I am very wary of things that "fix themselves", but you've got to admit, it pretty extraordinary!

So, I fixed the horrendous knocking which was the sway bar bushings. and now the struts are holding air. I'm a happy chappy! I don't expect it to last and everyday that I go out to the car I expect it to be down, but for the meantime I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. A bit like life I guess.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Paypal gets it done if ebay slips

The following users liked this post:
Jason. (07-02-2021)