XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Ruff/hard suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruff/hard suspension

Hello!

I just bought a Jaguar XJ8 3.5 from 2005. I looks and go super! But there is one problem with the rear suspension. If i drive over bumps or a "pothole" its really a hard hit and it feels like the suspension is "bottom out". There is no problem with the ride high or any air suspension problem messages.

I now have found a test of the suspension from the last service and there it states that the left rear dampers "Suspensionsmeasurement" is only 0.07 mm. The right rear suspension has 0,30 mm.

See attach picture, the diagram is in Swedish but you guys mayby now whats wrong any way?

My question is if I need a new air strut (as i suspect) or is there something else on the suspension that can cause this problem?

Attached Thumbnails Ruff/hard suspension-test.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I suggest returning to the shop that did the test and asking them what it means. It sounds like one of the struts has collapsed and will need to be replaced. A common occurence unfortunately. The car is probably leaning to the left?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
I suggest returning to the shop that did the test and asking them what it means. It sounds like one of the struts has collapsed and will need to be replaced. A common occurence unfortunately. The car is probably leaning to the left?
Thx for the answer, will try to contact the shop that did the test. There is no leaning of the car to left and the ride hight is ok. If the struts is collapsed I tought the suspension will go all the way to the bottom and I would get a vehicle to low or air suspension error message?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar issue on my 2004 XJ8 that I purchased a few weeks back at a spectacular price. Noiced when I went over a speedbump with any speed faster than a crawl I'd hear a loud CLUNK as if the spare was bannging up and down in the trunk. Took it in and they determined that the ball joints were blown on the left and right side. the symptoms matched the dioagnosis and now im getting those replaced.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jorge526
Similar issue on my 2004 XJ8 that I purchased a few weeks back at a spectacular price. Noiced when I went over a speedbump with any speed faster than a crawl I'd hear a loud CLUNK as if the spare was bannging up and down in the trunk. Took it in and they determined that the ball joints were blown on the left and right side. the symptoms matched the dioagnosis and now im getting those replaced.
Sounds just like my problem! Thx! But i can't find ball joints for the rear axel to the x350. Do you have a link to where i can buy them?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

One of the two "balljoint" bushes in the lower rear wishbones wears out very quickly. Jaguar will only sell a complete wishbone, so you're into the aftermarket either for a half-price wishbone complete, or the bushes to replace. These bushes are not what you think of as a balljoint, they have a circular moulding or "ball" in the middle of the bush. Here is a typical item and price.

Jaguar X350 Rear Lower Wishbone Bush - Detailed item view - Jaguar Spares Northeast

And another, (price is for two)

Racing Green Jaguar. - Jaguar X350 XJ saloon 2003-2009, Wishbone bush, lower rear

The third bush is a Silentbloc type and lasts for ever, (or almost)

Or you can buy the complete wishbone off the internet: -

http://www.justjagsuk.com/product_de...r/6322/347688/

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 08-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
One of the two "balljoint" bushes in the lower rear wishbones wears out very quickly. Jaguar will only sell a complete wishbone, so you're into the aftermarket either for a half-price wishbone complete, or the bushes to replace. These bushes are not what you think of as a balljoint, they have a circular moulding or "ball" in the middle of the bush. Here is a typical item and price.

Jaguar X350 Rear Lower Wishbone Bush - Detailed item view - Jaguar Spares Northeast

And another, (price is for two)

Racing Green Jaguar. - Jaguar X350 XJ saloon 2003-2009, Wishbone bush, lower rear

The third bush is a Silentbloc type and lasts for ever, (or almost)

Or you can buy the complete wishbone off the internet: -

Jaguar X350 Wishbone - LH Rear Lower (C2C39586) - JustJagsUK.com
Many thx for the help! This is really a superforum! :-)