XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

S/C Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Question S/C Radiator

To make a long story short I tried to add anti freese to the S/C cooler as outline in Alldata online. They suggested to fill the cooler with the pump running. No problem with this, but.... it appears that my cooler is installed upside down since the filler plug they show is on the bottom. kinda hard to over come gravity like that.

Is that possible, or do I have a cooler from something else fitted in there? The S/C coolant pump's hoses fit correctly or so it appears. Another issue that I don't understand is the mounting of the SC pump, mine is not attached to anything except the hoses.

I have ordered a new pump because this one is pretty noisey and I want to understand the scope of the next repair.

Dave.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The system is filled at the large hex fitting at the very top of the SC water manifold. Just leave the coolant recovery tank open and fill it from this top fitting. The engine does not need to be runing. Run it until the thermostat opens and let it cool, then check the level. I don't recall there being a fill on the auxillary pump housing.

The following users liked this post:
ooootis (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
The system is filled at the large hex fitting at the very top of the SC water manifold. Just leave the coolant recovery tank open and fill it from this top fitting. The engine does not need to be runing. Run it until the thermostat opens and let it cool, then check the level. I don't recall there being a fill on the auxillary pump housing.
The trouble I'm having is the location of the fill port. The only thing that resembles it is on the bottom right hand side of the cooler as viewed from the drivers seat. (see pic below)

According to the pic of group of related componants the cooler looks to be installed correctly. I say this being some what sceptical to the fact that it could be installed backwards. If it was I can't imagine how the hoses would still fit.

You mention a "SC water manifold". I'm going to go look around a bit more, but haven't seen anything I can put my finger on as of yet.

Thanks for the help!

Update: I found it and it looks nothing like the graphic! I was looking on the cooler not the engine. A few extra words in the text ....... LOL All is good. Now to get the pump and get it installed. I still need to find out why it's not bolted in.

Attached Thumbnails S/C Radiator-sc-coolant-fill-port.gif   S/C Radiator-sc-ipb.jpg  

Last edited by ooootis; 06-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.