XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

S-type or XJ8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S-type or XJ8?

Greetings, I hope it's ok, but I'm posting my intro into each appropriate model section; looking for all pointers. Thank you.

Greetings!

I've heard Jaguars have lots of problems. Is that true?

Just kidding <my signature could also be "stupid sense of humor Jim".>

Firstly, thanks for the forum & thanks for ALL the input from the posters. I've been hanging here for some time & am about 98% certain that I'm going to acquire a Jaguar soon. Per the "New Members email" that I actually read, a little info about me:

early 40's married father of two in southwest Ohio. I'm anxious for several reasons: 1. Have mostly been a Honda Toyota guy throughout my life. I've always thought "I want a car that is 100% reliable because I live pretty far away from any major cities with decent repair shops." However, I've reached a stage where I can say "I don't mind if I have to put a few dollars extra maintenance into my car if it provides a great driving experience. I truly haven't enjoyed a car for years (have had trucks & SUV's for a few years.) 2. Am slightly concerned that my Jaguar experience could be bad, but only slightly. I'm sure most of the REALLY bad situations are pretty rare. But I'm mostly anxious because 3. I CANNOT DECIDE WHICH CAR TO GET!.

I can tell you this - I was absolutely set on either a 3-series wagon (I love wagons), or a 7-series, or an S-type Benz. But after a lot of research, the forum posters have convinced me that typically 2003 & up models are quite reliable and much less common, and overall GREAT CARS. So then, I was dead set on an S-Type, but they are very difficult to find with my criteria. It seems the XJ8's are much more available, so now I'm considering either. My criteria is this if it's all possible: 1. 2004 & up model, either XJ or S-type (not int'd in X-type). 2. Maximum of $21,000 price. 3. Maximum of 60k miles, and preferably quite a bit less. 4. V-8 only; not int'd in the 3.0. And not interested in the Supercharged model; I tend to keep my cars WAY too long, like 140k miles and at that point, they are almost an expensive liability, based on the value that it will be worth at that time. 5. Will not own black (I don't keep them clean enough), will not own white (I just do NOT like white vehicles). My preferences are BRG (JRG?), then probably the burgundy, then maybe the gray or silver. Possibly the seafoam green (I think it's beautiful, but do men drive that color?) and light blue. Must be in Very Good Condition. 6. Really want the back seats that fold down, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both models do.

That's my criteria. My needs are mostly this: mostly just me commuting to work about 50 miles round trip daily. However, would also be a church car on the weekends (1 teen & 1 pre-teen). Son is 6'1" so most likely, mom will be in the back with daughter. It'll likely be the vehicle we take to occasional dinners, etc.

I've tried to locate a green V-8 S-type but am having some troubles. I've found them 300 miles away, but I dread taking an entire day off only to get there & find it's full of dings, etc. I drove a 4.2 S-type & LOVED it; I must admit I haven't driven an XJ yet. However, since the S-type that I want is such a rare bird, I've also been stronly considering an XJ & will drive one when I find one available.

So give me pointers, tips, etc, based on what you know about what I'm looking for. As a side question, there is a local dealer (cincinnati) who has a 2000 XJ8L with 91k for $8k. My budget could be over double that, but is it even worth looking at, perhaps as an entry-level thing? Obviously it has the 4.0 liter & 91k miles, so I know I could pay the asking price in maintenance if I'm not careful. But I was thinking that since it's at a dealer, it might be top notch.

As always, thanks for your pointers.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I bought a new S-Type R in 2004 and had nothing but problems with it, ending with lemon lawing it. I have known others who had nothing but problems with them as well. OF course there will always be exceptions. And it is very cramped inside which I think will also negate that model as an option for you.

The dealer you mentioned is asking a bit much for an 11 year-old car with high mileage.

Given your budget you would be much better off getting a later model XJ. Look at 2005 or newer. I have been fortunate with my Super V8 with the biggest issue being the front suspension compressor replaced under warranty at 38K miles. I am up to 79K miles now! They are actually very reliable cars, but maintenance and some parts costs can be high. Get a warranty if you can. And if possible a vehicle history.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

XJ all the way!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Anxious Jim
Really want the back seats that fold down, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both models do.
If this is important to you then it looks like you are stuck with the S-Type. The XJ has electric reclining rear seats on some models but that just means that the seat back can be adjusted a few inches to a more reclined position.

There was also an optional ski hatch but I think it is very rare to find a car with that. I have feeling that there is a plate covering where the hole should be so you might be able to make your own!

I am not an S-Type expert but judging by the brochures I have, all but the S Type R have folding 60/40 split rear seats.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Anxious-

I may be a bit biased (see photo below-check my albums), but I agree with the seafrost being a great color for the jag. I originally saw an S-Type in seafrost and that is what had me hooked. Eventually, I decided on the XJ and when one in SeaFrost came up, I traded the HONDA, yes former Honda driver too...

I opted for the certified program warranty, to help alleviate my repair concerns and though I have not needed it, it has provided peace of mind. I bought with 43K miles and now am at 66K+ and still have some warranty months remaining.

I can not speak first handed for the S, but the XJ has been a great car and hopefully will continue to be.

I would suggest sticking with the 2004 and up models as they are the aluminum-bodied cars and provide good gas mileage for such a big car. You should be able to find something acceptable within your projected budget.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by magmedia; 08-28-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy S-Type and drive XJ then, you will think about selling it

Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the xj and the s are not even close.
the xj of course...

Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Driving the flagship of any brand, especially a brand like Jaguar, is much more gangsta than driving a mid-level sedan. Just sayin'.

The XJ is really the quintessential Jaguar sedan.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

as long as it is not in a gay colour of course

"thupa doopa frosty foamy green"

Last edited by DB6; 08-29-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always give an admiring look at an S-Type when it rolls by, but, I prefer the XJ overwhelmingly, as do most who have replied to your post. The XJ8 is the coolest car on the road. I can't explain it, it just is. I hope you get one.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Go for the XJ. You won't be disappointed.

As to color ---- Black is the best color for the car (IMO) but it has certain issues for some folks, like swirls and dirt/grime showing easily. Therefore consider one of the darker metallic slates or grays. SeaFrost is a great color even if it doesn't quite fit the aforementioned criteria.

Also, select a car whose wheels you like. Some of the stock wheels were not so good and if you decide to replace them it will cost a pant load even for used ones.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How many miles is too many to buy?

Thanks very much for you all taking the time to respond. Although I really do dig fold-down rear seat (I try to be super-utilitarian, active family with 2 kids, camping, several rental properties, etc etc) I'm getting the vibe, like BigCat and others have said, that the XJ8 is the real deal, so I'm leaning more that way, but MAN the S-Type is so beautiful. I have said for years, that even though I'm a car & bike guy through and through, I would buy an S-Type just because of the way it looks. That being said, if the S-Type is "all that," I'll certainly test drive one.
Cars dot com has an 05 XJ8 L with 67,800 miles for $18,900 in Ohio. If you read my intro, I tend to keep cars till at least 120k miles, usually more. This car would likely see 16k-18k miles per year, as I have other vehicles as well. Except for seafoam green (which I know is a controversial color), this is the color combination I want (the dark green). Is 70k too many miles for me to jump into? I know things wear out & I don't mind spending a few dollars on maintenance, but Mrs Anxious Jim is not digging the current mileage.
By the way magmedia, I think your SeaFrost XJ is exceptionally beautiful. I would buy that in a Minnesota second (that's a unit of time). However, I live in a less-than-working class farm community, so any Jaguar at all will call into question my "manliness" around here, never mind Seafrost. Especially so when I take the boy to football practice & park next to all the turbodiesel pickup trucks. Of course at the end of the day, I would still probably do it if one became available.
Your thoughts on this mileage? Hopefully you're beginning to see why I'm Anxious Jim. : )

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would definitely recommend the XJ, BUT if you really live in the 'middle of nowhere, SW Ohio", be sure you've found a reputable shop that knows what they're doing with the specific brand before purchasing ANY high-end European car. Any car will eventually have problem, and the more complex the ride, the more tricky to trouble shoot. They also tend to have peculiar problems that you have to be familiar with the cars to effectively diagnose. Of course, this forum is a HUGE help there.
Good Luck !

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I've owned both an XJ and an S-Type. I currently drive an S-Type. The XJ is more luxurious and quite a bit larger. The S-Type in my view handles significantly better due to its smaller size and firmer suspension. For commuting I found the S-Type to be easier to drive and a bit more economical. I get 20 mpg in town, 32 highway. Given your budget you might be able to get a Select Edition S-Type, but unlikely an XJ.

Good luck,

Mike