XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sat Nav DVD Australia

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Sat Nav DVD Australia

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2003 XJ8 which I had shipped to Australia when I migrated here.I have been looking for an Australian DVD for the sat nav. Apparently it is marketed by a firm called 'Whereis' but it is very expensive.
Now I know that most of you guys are in the USA but any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, be very careful with the upgrade, I had an upgrade disc, put it in, and through it worked for a week or to, it comes up with, "not a valid Nav disk" Put the old one in, now it takes about half an hour to read the original disk. So I arrive at destination, without using Sat Nav. I think it is something Jag put in the programing, so you have to buy from Jaguar, themselves. I will have to get it done by a Jaguar dealer, but I fear it will cost a lot more than several new Sat Navs.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Thanks for that

Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Bob did you get anywhere with updating your satnav maps without spending a heap?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

I have the 04 XJR, If you are in sydney can read it in your laptop, wink wink

Actually I never use the OEM Nav, its to bad and has no traffic
I have upgraded the OEM nav to IGO Primo
So it now has School zones, Speed Cams ect...

If you want to go that route glad to help with that as well

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porlie
Hi Bob did you get anywhere with updating your satnav maps without spending a heap?

Brought a new disc, from the people who make it for Jaguar. cost about three hundred, instead of a thousand, that Jaguar were going to charge me. all fine now.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
I have the 04 XJR, If you are in sydney can read it in your laptop, wink wink

Actually I never use the OEM Nav, its to bad and has no traffic
I have upgraded the OEM nav to IGO Primo
So it now has School zones, Speed Cams ect...

If you want to go that route glad to help with that as well
You've upgraded the OEM nav? What does that mean exactly?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You've upgraded the OEM nav? What does that mean exactly?
I retained the OEM touch screen but replaced the awful Denso Nav unit with Igo Primo
So All that changes is my Map software.

I'm using an android to run the maps. It's just an Samsung sgs2 upgraded to android 4.

The video output is fed in via a navinc video interface. This has 4 A/V inputs, one switch for the revers camera (with parking guidelines) plus 3 aux. It outputs RGBS 15khz to the OEM touchscreen plus audio which is fed to the ACM

Now this is the funky bit. The touch pannel is intercepted and fed back to the SGSII. So no only do I have the video but the touch screen.
To do this I have a product called mimics. The connection to the SGS11 is via bluetooth. PS this also works for Iphone

Ive since added a 2ch audio mixer. The sgs11 connects to one channel and the audio out from the navinc to the other. This way nav audio is mixed with the audio out from the navinc.

I have a wd-tv live connected to the second av in, camera to av4. We are currently mucking around with an Eclipse head unit. The ultimate plan is to use the av out and a second switch module from mimics (link above) to take control of the touch screen. If we can get that going it will go in the boot where the nav/dvd ect is installed. I'll get rid of the wdtv at that point.

Hope that helps. Have a look at the mimics its a lot simpler than it sounds

Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 AM

That sounds awesome!

So in fact the factory Nav is still there (has to be for the climate controls) but you've just overlayed the separate nav. This mimics thing looks very interesting.

Would love to see some pics or vids of it in operation.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
That sounds awesome!

So in fact the factory Nav is still there (has to be for the climate controls) but you've just overlayed the separate nav. This mimics thing looks very interesting.

Would love to see some pics or vids of it in operation.
The AV side is easy using any of the aux video units that are available.
I went for the navinc one because it also switches audio which non of the others do.

You hit the nail on the head with the climate controls. Its the old problem how to get rid of the outdated ICE and keep the climate control

What the Mimics is the key.
It allows you to control an android or iphone touch screen using another touch screen. The link is via bluetooth so no mods to the device. You can use this with any touch screen overlay. the second product they have is the switcher module. This goes in the OEM head unit. You put in in between the touch screen overlay and the head unit motherboard. This allows you to switch out the overlay to an external device. In this case the mimics. What we are working on is just using the switcher.
So we will disconnect the overlay from the Eclipse head unit and connect the switcher to the Eclipse and OEM head unit boards.
What is holing us up us the cables are different and I'm waiting on a plug converter

The ultimate goal is a modern nav, sound system while keeping the climate control.

Hoping we will get the plug converter soon. Ill get some pics wile it at the installers but for now play the video on the mimics site. It the same. Also hoping I'll have all the bits to convert the phone to bluetooth by then so they can do it all in one go.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Wicked!

I looked into hi-jacking the hard buttons around the screen to have a close-as-original feel to the system for an external video input. i.e. press the nav button once and it's the OEM nav, press it twice and it switches to the external video, press it again & back to the nav. Something like that would be cool. Couldn't find anyone to make the little black box. Sounds like something you'd be more than capable of!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

That's really easy with a andrino board. Low on my list is to use one to intercept the turn signal to trigger side cameras. The is the same type of resistor array as the steering wheel control. You could also easily intercept the say the steering wheel source button and leave the others on tact.
IE feed the steering wheel signal into an adrino and use two outputs. Just requires some simple programming and upload via usb to the board