XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SC & Intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 02:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Bill,

My heartfelt gratitude for your insightful guidance and unwavering encouragement throughout this journey. Your wisdom is a beacon, illuminating the path forward!
"Borrowed" wisdom, learnt from others, I assure you.

I was born Northside, Pittburgh, a city where America's "melting pot" of blending immigrants has seldom been equaled. Naturally - in "pre wokie" days, each tribe mades jokes at the expense of each and every one of the others.

"First, pull the supercharger.." is actually inspired by a Hungarian describing the difference between the Hungarian recipe for chicken paprikash ...and that of his neighbour, other side of the National border:

"Same ingredients and cooking method. Only the first step is different."

"First.. steal a chicken..."

Last edited by Thermite; 04-09-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:30 PM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

Thomas, your 1st and 2nd shots show the plastic cover quite clearly. The last photo shows it particularly well. What you can't see is how it actually becomes more "rectangularly" shaped & is bolted in 3 places.

While I will explore further, My gut tells me to replace the nut & bolts that I have removed from this connector & endeavor to remove the EGR, etc. with it in place.

As always, your help is invaluable!

Have a great day!

Steve S.
Hi Steve,
unfortunately, I do not have any other pictures, so yes, it is a question of look&feel where the bolts are.

But I found the following pictures and the attached write up that might help further...

A great day to you, too!

Best regards,

Thomas

Attached Files
The following 4 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024), Don B (04-09-2024), Pete M (04-10-2024), Thermite (04-09-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:53 PM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Thank you, Thomas! If a picture is worth a thousand words, the last one on your post is worth a million! I think the long bolts marked YES are #8? I am using about a one foot extension on a 1/4" drive with a #8 - 6 point socket. The one closest to the cabin doesn't need a swivel. Somehow, I'm not having any luck getting the dang things off. Am I correct that they are #8 with a RH thread? It seems the socket is in place by feel, but when I ratchet, it offers little resistance, but I don't think the bolt is actually turning. I'm going out to try again. It would be helpful if I could get the small hoses off, but of course, the the release clips for the clamp are underneath. I will try the miracle remote removal tool, but I'm reasonably sure it is too big for the space. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2024, 02:12 PM

It would be helpful if I could get the small hoses off, but of course, the the release clips for the clamp are underneath. I will try the miracle remote removal tool, but I'm reasonably sure it is too big for the space. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
See if you can grip the whole clamp and torque it around so the clip-grip point IS where you can get a tool to it.

When No Joy? I tend to saw them off with a Dremel abrasive disk or an Oscillating saw. Clamps are plentiful. Time not.

Ever try to repurchase yesterday afternoon, once wasted?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:19 PM

Hi Steve,

as you can see from the pictures, we are not the first ones to see that the removal of the EGR valve is a nightmare...

I did the job almost 6 years ago... the threads are definitely standard RH, the head is either #8 or #10. At the time I used a 1/4" drive with several extensions, so a foot long extension sounds about right.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:27 PM

P.S.: if I look at the pictures of the parts removed from the car (the "messy table" pictures that I had posted in on of your other posts, I think the one about the removal of the pollen filter housing), I see that the EGR valve (roughly in the middle of the picture) has the rubber tubes attached, so I think that I did not remove them when removing the EGR valve...

04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Default Thanks Bill & Thomas

Bill, I would cut them off if I could. NO ROOM! I will try to twist them around after I try a few more times with them in place as per Thomas. More about time later.

I thought that I would take a resbit & remove the #13 nuts holding the flange at the bottom. Mercifully, one came right off; now, I'm using my 100' extension trying to get a bite on the other one. For a moment, I got excited thinking I would be able to use my star sockets for the 1st time ever; however, not needed unless I want to remove the studs which I don't.

Thomas, they must be #8s; they look smaller than the #10s in your photo. I will keep trying.

Thanks, Guys; help is much appreciated.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:28 PM

Hi Steve,

I don't know whether you have something like this, but I highly recommend a set of hinged wrenches like these:

They also exist as a fixed version without the joint:

I have a set of each type and do not want to miss them anymore. The ones with the joint also helped with the EGR valve.

Best regards,

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024), Thermite (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:29 PM

Bill, I would cut them off if I could. NO ROOM! I will try to twist them around after I try a few more times with them in place as per Thomas. More about time later.
Don't over do it. If they won't slide, you can damage the teat they are clamped to.
.. use my star sockets for the 1st time ever.
Happy day was when I hadn't one (male flavour) in Bandar Seri Begawan, Darussalam, (Brunei). Couldn't find anywhere to buy one, but could buy a set of Swiss files. So I made one. Had been allowed into a secured area to watch the guy who owns the world's largest collection of desirable motorcars practice touch and go landings in a four-engined Airbus to upgrade his ticket.. but I daren't presume to ask the Sultan to borrow his tools!
Thomas, they must be #8s; they look smaller than the #10s in your photo. I will keep trying.

Thanks, Guys; help is much appreciated.
Rely on Thomas. And yer own good self. I couldn't tell yah what size for much of anything. I just reach into a 75+ year accumulation and pick whatever fits best.

In time, you'll be able to 'size' by casual eyeball, too. Human senses are incredibly capable, if only we bother to APPLY them.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:44 PM

OK, I've almost got it! I know, I know this ain't horseshoes!

For some peculiar reason, I thought that the bolts were going in perpendicular to the car length - WRONG! The electrical receptacle on the EGR is in the same direction as the bolts. Attaching the swivel next to the socket seems to work best for me. Also, getting the length of the extension just right is helpful: too long makes it hard to control the socket; too short & there is no room for the drive. Also, the weight of the 1/4" makes placing the socket more manageable. The ears on the hose clamp facing down actually help find the bolts. If you touch the cloth covered pipe - too low, If you cut your fingers on the ear - too high.

The #13 nuts holding the bottom flange of the pipe came off very easily.

However, I am concerned about breaking something. They are really on there. I am going to hit them with some PT Blaster for a day or so & see what happens.

Did you fellows find the bolts (They are #8s BTW.) to be difficult to unscrew? Now that I am more comfortable re finding the bolts, I may try it with 3/8" for the added heft.

Appreciate all of your help!

The following 2 users liked this post by 04Xjrsteve:
Don B (04-10-2024), Thermite (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 422 Posts

When i reoved the egr for the first time i used 1/4 stuff and for the ratchet i adapted to 3/8 swivel head about 12 inches long for the torque needed to break the bolts/nuts loose. Glad i was wearing gloves because the break loose was a small bomb going off

The following 2 users liked this post by scottjh9:
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024), Thermite (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:47 PM

Scott, great minds run in similar circles! ours crossed in the ether.

Thermite (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 422 Posts

and skinned knuckles on these cars. One wrap with electrical tape around the swivel portion of the socket works great for stability

Last edited by scottjh9; 04-10-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:15 PM

My age, fine muscle control is not so predictable as to warrant risk. I use a tap or three from a small Brass hammer to encourage a wrench to "crack" a(ny) recalcitrant fastener(s) into a more cooperative frame of mind. Only THEN apply muscle-torque.

Had I but adopted that trick even thirty years sooner, I'd have fewer scars, but probably no more broken fasteners than the straight-BFBI-PULL way. Damned few, regardless. MANY "frozen" fasteners actually respond far better and with lesser risk of damage to the mild impact than they will to the higher-effort, and harder to control, straight PULL.

A GOOD mechanic is never short of parts. We always have some left-over. If only 'coz we disagreed wth how the fac'try did sumthin' and rolled-in better alternatives.

Hose clamps high on that list, BTW. Classical "Ideal pattern" stainless worm-gear ones plus cordless electric drivers make life simpler, and stocking spares easier in one go.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 05:32 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 05:30 PM

Thanks, Thomas. I love those wrenches. I have them in metric & SAE. Unfortunately, I don't have a #8. Will check & see if I can find. Have tools on my boat & unfortunately it is about an hour away. Will be headed over to run the engine, etc. on Saturday & will get the tool box. There may be an 8 aboard.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:23 PM
Default A Couple of Questions While the PTBlaster Works

1. Remove the EGR Dome?
On my car the boot-like cover around the receptacle for the two big wire bundles has a flange that precludes the dome of the EGR valve from being lifted out of its base after the 2 #10 bolts are removed. I notice this flap is missing in other cars based on the pictures.
Would I risk harming anything if I carefully lifted the dome out after removing the flange?

2. Disconnect the 2 large wire bundles?
I'm still not clear why these bundles can't be just unplugged. Are the plugs and receptacles so fragile that we risk serious harm by disconnecting them. With the battery disconnected, I don't see the harm. I know you guys have infinitely more knowledge on this than I; so please enlighten me. I know if it made sense to disconnect them you would.

Thanks and have a great evening!

Steve S.

Well, itys Martini Time

Old 04-10-2024, 07:41 PM

1. Remove the EGR Dome?
Beyond my ken.

2. Disconnect the 2 large wire bundles?
I find JLR have used quailty connectors, just about eveywhere, so far, and easily unmated and remated.

I don't hesistate to remove any part of any harness where provided for if there is even a modest advantage,

CAVEAT: Communications company pensioner. "Copper wire mostly" era. And they were not the only ones I worked for.

So I am biased as to the relative ease of repairing wiring (and fibre optic) damage, even unto 600-pair cable - or fabbing new - regarding this whole class of goods.

Go with what YOU consider least-risk for the gain/pain ratio.

Thanks and have a great evening!

Steve S.

Well, itys Martini Time
"Igualmente"

Actually opening the bottles is but a distant memory, given it upsets both sleep and digestion these days, but still...
.. modest collection of components to-hand for the rare guests these years.

Be my guest:

To pour:

Hendricks. Boodles. Bombay Sapphire. Tanqueray.
More Hendricks.

To glance across the room at, from a safe distance, only, and three times, exactly (classical "Drei Martini" recipe)

Thin air. Martini. Martini Rosso. Noilly Prat.
Thinner air.

Enjoy!

I shall beg-off in favour of a wee dram of "Cuarenta y Tres". Don't HAVE to be old to enjoy it.... but it don't hurt to keep up the Vitamin C! More fun than Kimchi for preventing scurvy, anyway.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 08:18 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:02 PM

Thanks, Bill!

Speaking of time, one of my favorites: "Time is a great healer, but a very poor beautician!"

Since my last post, I've had some time to peruse Don B's post & he didn't seem to offer any objections to disconnecting the bundles. I'm going to be away from the car for a bit. I hope to get more comments re the EGR, etc. I will see if I can get the EGR off & if I'm unable to, I will look at the options I've asked about.

As to Martini Time, I actually had only a glass of white. For the reasons you mentioned, I have cut back my drinking too. I will go for months without sniffing a cork. I take regular exercise, ski, sail & occassionally play golf & thankfully, I'm still not taking any medications. I say that with great thanksgiving & humility because time will soon... But at 76, with a lovely wife of 55 years and 6 superior grandsons and one adorable grandaughter, I will live into life as fully as I can.

I have many memories of fine food & drink in N VA & the DC area. One of my favorite places is actually in, of all places, Baltimore. Charleston's is the name & they make vespers to die for. I don't know their secret, & I make a fair vesper, but theirs is really, really good! I haven't been in your part of the world for over 15 years, but used to be there a couple of times a year. I hope Charleston's has survived.

Jim, I suspect that you're sound asleep. I sincerely appreciate your help! If you find yourelf in Seattle, please let me know & I will bake a cake!

Best,

Steve S.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Default Hope This Is Not Inappropriate

I was trying to think of how to describe this venture of removing the supercharger & I remebered how the late Robin Williams described the origins of golf. If you haven't heard it, I think you'll like; if you have, if you are like I am, you will laugh again. If only he had owned a 350!

Old 04-10-2024, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Bill!

Speaking of time, one of my favorites: "Time is a great healer, but a very poor beautician!"
LOL! Same class as my CFII told me: "An aircraft is a great servant, but a poor master!.. First.. fly the aircraft."

Prolly dates back to polyhooliga's first coconut-palm-trunk rafts?

Since my last post, I've had some time to peruse Don B's post & he didn't seem to offer any objections to disconnecting the bundles.
It is why so many connectors in harnesses even exist, and WHERE they exist. Even doing plugs and injectors is evil-tasking if one cannot aside them. Asiding them reduces, not increases, risk they'll be damaged. Clean and orderly working matters, pays-back the modest extra effort very quickly. Shortcuts bite yah right in the ****.

See the late K.W Purdy's "The Kings of the Road", Bugatti chapter:

"The knowledgable never take a rag near a Bugatti engine. The rule is brushes only."

Or words to that effect. Mem'ry ain't what it usta bee?

That said, it's a good rule for ANY motor, so I keep packets of cheap "chip brushes" to-hand... also a plentiful supply of compartmented trays to sort fasteners, clips, minor parts ... into as they come off. Everything has to be SOMEWHERE, may as well task "somewhere" with helping organize the recovery.

As to Martini Time, I actually had only a glass of white.
Aye. Half a shot of St Brendan's in Folger's cawfee, so far.

For the reasons you mentioned, I have cut back my drinking too. I will go for months without sniffing a cork. I take regular exercise, ski, sail & occassionally play golf & thankfully, I'm still not taking any medications.
Guess Alka-Seltzer about three times a year counts as aspirin? Otherwise, not-even. Genetics. Our clan helps out at Doctor's burials, not the reverse.

I say that with great thanksgiving & humility because time will soon... But at 76, with a lovely wife of 55 years and 6 superior grandsons and one adorable grandaughter, I will live into life as fully as I can.
Blessed with the current marriage into its 34th year. Folks ask how we manage with bedrooms 8,000 miles apart:
- We are always glad to speak to or see each other.
- We never argue about trivia.
- She.....carries-on the superb mercantile & civil judgment of the clan of Shi Huang Di and retains sole jurisdiction over the DEFINITION as to what constitutes "trivia"!!!

..not to mention ongoing honeymoons in 51+ counties on "the installment plan"... "Travis McGee" retirement style.

I have many memories of fine food & drink in N VA & the DC area. One of my favorite places is actually in, of all places, Baltimore. Charleston's is the name & they make vespers to die for. I don't know their secret, & I make a fair vesper, but theirs is really, really good! I haven't been in your part of the world for over 15 years, but used to be there a couple of times a year. I hope Charleston's has survived.
Web sez it is still active. We chose to abandon the once-loverley Baltimore Inner Harbour nearly 20 years ago over the chronically increasing danger in getting to and from. Ten years or more since Washington DC's waterfront eateries and 'fresh' seafood markets joined the list - same reason. Old Town Alex is still attractive. Annapolis still good. Georgetown, DC no longer worth the hassles. In any case, our preferred "Special Occasion" haunts are long-since out towards the Shen valley, blue ridge, basically wine or horsey country.

Traffic thing. D'ruthr drive in Rome. Italy. Not Georgia-the-US-one. At least the voltile locals are wide-awake and can place a vehicle within half a millimeter to avoid paperwork.

Vanilla outings, we have an amazing choice of ethnicity right nearby, sort of a triangle bounded by Reston, Great Falls, and Ashburn / Leesburg.

Not that we bother eating out much, what with 13 Lotte markets in the area to support love of our OWN cooking!

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 11:59 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)

Quick Reply: SC & Intercoolers?