XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SC & Intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:09 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

32 current last replies on the first page, is good going Bill!
Not that I understand half the off-topic drivel.

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:13 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
32 current last replies on the first page, is good going Bill!
Only holds 'til the grownups wake up! Or I get enough debilities sorted to go and pick up a wrench.
Not that I understand half the off-topic drivel.
Good on Yah!
Lesser man wouldn't even have taken the time to make the attempt to apportion the percentages.

Ones I actually worked with were expats, London or Hong Kong, but still .. learnt much the same about persistent kiwi's as E.T. Rommel.

Impressed, he was:

"If I had to take hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it".

Inconsiderate folk keep polluting the snot out of NZ, you won't even need the Oz.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 12:26 AM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 03:16 PM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Time To Call The Junkyard?

I was able to remove the aft #8 from the EGR. First, I removed the small hose above it using the remote removal tool.

But for the life of me, I have been unable to remove the forward #8 bolt. I may try rmoving the hose to see if I can get a bite from above, but I am not optimistic.

Perhaps it is best to take this as an omen to get rid of her? Any "words to the wise" about how this is done? Do you just call & offer her for free for the cost of the tow or should I expect some kind of remuneration based on weight or some other variable. I really don't care, but naturally, would like what ever is fair under the circumstances.

This will be quite a defeat, but sometimes descretion is the better part of valor.

Thanks and best,

Steve S.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

just take the 4 elbow bolts out and shove the elbow back with the egr still attached, then you can get to the sc bottom bolt

04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 03:37 PM
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Steve,
You're making progress! Perhaps check back to my post #17 in this thread. The bolt angles back and right, so a 1/4" drive 6-point 10mm socket on an 8" or so extension and a 1/4" drive ratchet should get you there. Again, a bit of toothpaste inside of the socket helps it to not slip off the bolt head. I used a borescope type camera with a screen to see what I was looking for. At one stage I had to remove and refit the EGR as I had routed a hose incorrectly. The second time it was much easier as I had worked out the right angle.

Pete M

04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
I really don't care, but naturally, would like what ever is fair under the circumstances.

This will be quite a defeat, but sometimes descretion is the better part of valor.
These times happen to all of us, more than once, along life's journey.

You are NOT going to let one silly little fastener - nor a dozen - whip a competent human being's ****.

Or "defeat" becomes habituating.. and we ALL "lose" .... as a tribe.

Just take a break. Or several breaks.

Come back at it with a cool head. Others do this. You can do it too.

Even the rage of vengeance and a big-*** Milwaukee Sawzall that leads to need of sourcing a whole new Mike Foxtrot poopercharger. Desecration rather than discretion ... if that was a down-payment on a Freudian slip, up there.

Repairable, regardless, just more expensively so.

But "prevail" you must.

It's what we do. 'Success" is habituating, too.

If mankind was able to domesticate the horse? And canines?
Surely we can "domesticate" superchargers.

They just take longer.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-13-2024 at 07:46 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:01 AM

Xalty, Pete M. & Bill (aka Thermite), thank you for your encouragement and sharing your wisdom! Truly above & beyond!

I will get the toothpaste & try again on the stubborn bolt. I have tried the 1/4" as described by Pete M. I forgot about the toothpaste! Hope that is the secret sauce!! I also tried 3/8, 1/2 & tried from ...

If that fails, I will explore Xalty's solution. I searched our site for the elbow removal & the thread that I pulled up indicated that there is also a bracket in addition to the 4 bolts. I will investigate more thoroughly if the aforementioned is not successful. If the elbow is easily reved with the EGR attached, it seems to me that would be the first option, not the default?

Again, I can't tell you how much I apprecite your help!

Steve S.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:05 AM
Default Correction: Should Have Read

If the elbow is easily removed with the EGR attached, it seems to me that would be the first option?

Old 04-14-2024, 11:55 AM
Default Will Try This

It is necessary for me to hold socket steady with fingers of left hand; hence, left arm is in the way of my rachet rotating enough to put any meaningful force on the bolt head & there is too much play in it for the space allowable for racheting to make a difference. Seems I can fix this in one of 2 ways:
1, Purchase a rachet driver with less play
2. Use a breaker bar with no play. I have only a 1/2" breaker bar.

I will attempt the 2nd option by using a 1/2 length of 1/4" extension & up it to a 1/2 length of 3/8" extension & up the 3/8 to 1/2 so I can use the breaker bar that I have. In other words, I will use the same length of extension with the heavy breaker bar. My concern is that the heft of the breaker bar may present a different set of problems. Part of me would rather opt for the 1st option, but I have a reasonably "high-end" rachet drive with extendable handle, etc. If option #2 doesn't work, I will be back for rachet driver recommendations.

Thanks & best,

Steve S.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:31 PM

Even with the breaker bar, with my left arm in the way, I can't rotate bar enough. If I remove my fingers from holding the socket, it twists off. I can tell that the toothpaste does help, but so far, no enchilata!

So, on with Zalty's suggestion. Any reason this won't work? He mentioned sliding the elbow forward to get to the SC bolt the elbow hides. Can the elbow be removed completely with the EGR attached? Or, is it possible that by removing the SC a la Zalty, the stubborn EGR bolt can be made more avalable to being removed.

Is there a way to turn spell check on when writing a quick reply?

Old 04-14-2024, 02:57 PM

I will get the toothpaste & try again on the stubborn bolt.
Replacement fasteners can be sourced. If need be? EPOXY the Mike-Foxtrot on. Touch of a torch will melt it back off, later.

Had a friend whose eldest son wandered about tying knots in a silk filament. With one hand. Inside a closed container.

Thought at the time that it was as daft a skill to master as ever was.

But he became a very successul Oral Surgeon!

Can't get both hands at once into even MY mouth!

You'll get this.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-14-2024 at 02:59 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 03:40 PM

Thanks, Bill! As the owner of a plastic sailboat, why didn't I think of epoxy? Unless you recommend a different procedure, I will:
1. Take the selected socket and be sure it fits nicely.
2. Boil socket in water a minute to get the toothpaste off.
3. Clean bolt head as well as posible with water & then gasoline.
4.. Mix a 2 part epoxy & apply.
5. Seat the socket on the bolt.
6. Dry overnight.
7. Hook up & crank that sucker off!

If this doesn't work, I've started a new thread re Xalty's suggestion about the TB elbow.

Thanks & best,

Steve S.

Old 04-14-2024, 04:19 PM

Thanks, Bill! As the owner of a plastic sailboat, why didn't I think of epoxy?
"Compartmentalized" society, wherein as a tribe, we have forgotten the value of "cross-fertilization" as to tools, tips, and techniques.

ex:

Lots of folk. "back in the day" recommended use of pliers with "brass lined jaws".
I had NO klew where to find such an animal. Then.. took over ramrodding a fine gold and diamond jewelery manufacturing operation. Our trade supply houses (see "Kassoy" for one) stocked those in brass lined, and interchangeable. We used nylon and telfon liners all day, every day!

Another is Kelly forceps AKA "hemostats" borrowed from the medical field.

Not the only thing .. our Diamond and coloured stone setters relied on Foredom handpieces and "dental burrs" derived from dental work. Back when a dentist was also a Goldsmith, actually.

A length of tubing - bendable or not - plus a simple loop of fishing line down it, and over a controlling finger, and one has a "snare" for precisely placing a difficult fastener.

Wife saves over-age-in-grade Bamboo chopsticks. They find NEW work... in my shop.

Cheaper to sort parts into worn-out baking pans and muffin tins than buy bespoke plastic bins, too.

One of my parts-washers began life as an over-age-in-grade .........rice-cooker.

Learn and live!

A human with no callenges to entertain the brain may as well hire-on as a mushroom.
Or take a Government job for the better retirement - same sort of working environment.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-14-2024 at 04:29 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Default The Great Socket Epoxy Celebration

With a little luck, you'll receive an invite tomorrow!

Old 04-14-2024, 05:23 PM

With a little luck, you'll receive an invite tomorrow!
To which?

Surely not "government service?"

"Happy news" as to domesticatng superchargers would be welcome.

Just think over how much you have learned in such a short time.

Or avoided?

Jim Nabors / Gomer Pyle, handed a pointy-ended American "football":

Coach sez: "Can you pass this?"

"Coach? I ain't even sure I can SWALLOW it!"

Do all this at dealer prices? "Passing" an ingested football would become "too easy".

Last edited by Thermite; 04-14-2024 at 06:23 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-14-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 07:16 AM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

If the elbow is easily removed with the EGR attached, it seems to me that would be the first option?
I would say so, at least I removed the two together and found it easier than removing the parts separately.

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 07:23 AM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks, Bill! As the owner of a plastic sailboat, why didn't I think of epoxy? Unless you recommend a different procedure, I will:
1. Take the selected socket and be sure it fits nicely.
2. Boil socket in water a minute to get the toothpaste off.
3. Clean bolt head as well as posible with water & then gasoline.
4.. Mix a 2 part epoxy & apply.
5. Seat the socket on the bolt.
6. Dry overnight.
7. Hook up & crank that sucker off!

If this doesn't work, I've started a new thread re Xalty's suggestion about the TB elbow.

Thanks & best,

Steve S.
I hope that this works for you. I have been able to remove the EGR valve without any of these tricks. But, as Pete and Bill said, it also took me more than one attempt with different tools and angles to finally manage to remove it, with some breaks in between. And from the second time onwards it got easier, as I had the same issue as Pete and had to remive the EGR more than once.

Good luck and keep going, you will succeed in the end!

Best regards,

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
04Xjrsteve (04-15-2024), Thermite (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
I hope that this works for you. I have been able to remove the EGR valve without any of these tricks.
I'm sure there are plenty of other things our valiant pioneer can do that you or I might not... but it might class an unfair advantage, my case, as the third generation in a row on one side of the DNA to be fully ambidextrous?

NOW you know why even the slowing down in my 80th year hasn't yet forced me to hang up my wrenches!

Besides running our of SPACE for tools off the back of buying new whenever I forget where I left the LAST set?

Worse things could happen as one ages.

Just grateful I seldom do that more than twice...
Nor have acquired a house full of duplicate wenches eatin' up my Oatmeal.

On the other hand.......... ?

04Xjrsteve (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:14 PM

Thanks, Guys, for the wonderful help & support!

Bill, I know what you mean! Sometimes, it is easier & less expensive for me to buy a tool than to search for the one I have! E.g., I had purchased 3 of the same set of star sockets some time back. A few years later, I had a major garage cleanup and gave 2 of them away.

As to the epoxy: I will have a do-over because I didn't hook the socket to the drive & guess what? Yep, I broke the socket loose in the process. So, this evening, I will hook everything up with the epoxy sufficiently congealed to hold the socket in place & try again tomorrow.

Best,

Old 04-15-2024, 06:49 PM

Thanks, Guys, for the wonderful help & support!

Bill, I know what you mean! Sometimes, it is easier & less expensive for me to buy a tool than to search for the one I have! E.g., I had purchased 3 of the same set of star sockets some time back. A few years later, I had a major garage cleanup and gave 2 of them away.
Sounds like my method of buying taps, dies, drills, and reamers in "threes":

One to use, one to lose, and one to lend and never see again.

As to the epoxy: I will have a do-over because I didn't hook the socket to the drive & guess what? Yep, I broke the socket loose in the process. So, this evening, I will hook everything up with the epoxy sufficiently congealed to hold the socket in place & try again tomorrow.

Best,
I've not had to use an adhesive method in .. too long to remember clearly, but ISTR it was a construction adhesive in a caulking-gun cartridge that I had lying by off some home-repair project?

What I HAVE done is lay a shim of paper or metal foil or a few strands of fine copper wire into one side of a socket, then tap it on firmly.

ELSE grab a too-tight SAE socket for use on a Metric fastener, or a too-tight Metric socket for an SAE fastener. Several are close, but not many. This most-often for corroded or already-damaged fasteners.

Both completion and cleanup are faster and easier than use of adhesives, but the point is the same:

Conserving your "unique" time and reducing aggravation is sacred - given waste or loss is unrecoverable.

Tools, by contrast, are mass-produced expendables, easily replaced.

Well. the tools I craft by my own hand are more likely described as "A**" produced than "mass produced".

But if you can make a passable tool, first go, however crude or humble, you can make a BETTER tool, next go!

Last edited by Thermite; 04-15-2024 at 07:01 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: SC & Intercoolers?