XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Scared very seriously now......

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared very seriously now......

Ok, I have have my 2004 VDP for 3 weeks now. Rides like a dream except for my front suspension thump which will be taken care of, BUT, my fears came to the surface today. i have always heard that these engines are/were bulletproof. Here is what happened today though.....After driving it around town, after I made another stop and restarted it, the first try, it would not turn over, the next two times, it started but barely and it felt as if the engine was going to blow, it ran so shakenly, rough and hard under the hood and would NOT accept any pedal acceleration. The forth try it started as if nothing ever happened. During this whole time, the check engine light NEVER CAME ON. I had a friend listen for a vaccum leak sound, but could hear nothing. Yes, I am feaking out of sorts. First suspension, now my engine? Please guys give me some sound advice. As always, I appreciate any/all advice!!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 762 Likes on 638 Posts

About one year ago I started my car and it was enveloped in clouds of white smoke.That 's happened once in 4 years!
As you Americans say-----Go Figure!
After a while I stopped worrying about it. You should do the same

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Where do you buy your fuel ? Sounds like water or something in the fuel

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

You may need to replace the fuel filter.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Any updates?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tried to fill the car up with winter blend and being able to start up right after with no problem but the following morning it sits and cracks away for a long time before turning over and running very rich afterwards. If my car stands for 4-5day on winter blend and I start it up it will run rich too - never in the summer. My indy is familiar with multible cars that has this issue and says the winter blend can create too many fumes and the canister either leaks or let in the fumes into the intake too rapidly, but cannot recommend to do anything. In my old car I once started it up no problem next second the car died - I started it right up afterwards never did it again in the 2 years I owned it

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Default what a piece of -------, well not quite.

well after $2517 later and still not finished, i now have 3 new front suspension arms, tie rod tightened, alignments front and back, new pan replacement, new thermostrat. i am told the car spit out codes which indicate some kind of seal leak underneath the manifold. even though this was less expensive than what i would pay at a ***********, at least i have her almost up to speed. thankfully the shocks remain ok. so what lesson did i learn? never buy a jag without getting it inspected. case and point, a couple came by the shop where i was at and the jag was 18 months old with low mileage and it already needed a couple of front end arms. needless to say warranty or no warranty, they were going back to their second choice -benz. well no headaches there, huh? from one frying pan into another. seriously, i realize that my car even though pristine in the cabin and outside will would always need maint. so i cant be mad, but i am curious what next? i remain thankful that my thermostat decided to stick at the repair shop and not on the highway. i was told that thermostats can be a pain. so we shall see with that. i am curious though, with the new jag having suspension problems after 18 months, is this normal? if so, indian jaguar better be careful. there might not be anymore financial backers supporting jag if ther quality would decline. i remain happy with my ford jag. the style and quality to me, just looks and feels better. maybe just me, maybe it is my wood feddish. lol.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

but i am curious what next?
Rear suspension joints ?

Unless previously done. What sort of miles on the car. Did you really buy it sight-unseen and untested ? If so, this is not really wise when buying any make of car.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

Me again. Sorry, I think I misread the post, you viewed the car, but didn't have the car independently inspected. Well, it's a fact that most of us don't and take the gamble like I did. However, did you see service records or anything like that ?

Other thing about early and unexpected suspension problems is the use of large diameter wheels and very low profile tyres. I have had to have rear suspension work as the lower joints were worn out. My car had 30k miles, and 20" Sepangs on it when purchased and had a harsher ride than I would have expected from a Jaguar. I swappped to 18", but I think the damage was already done. FWIW, I had to have new rear lower wishbones, new lower shock bushes, and a new tracking arm. Cost me over £800 last October. Mind you it had not failed its UK compulsory roadworthy test (called an MOT Certificate), so I could have waited longer, but the work would have been needed at some time. My car is on 52K miles

Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Jaguar XJ cars are notable for the balance of performance handling coupled with pleasant ride quality, threading the needle, so to speak. I surmise this sort of engineering requires more sophisticated rubber/bushing technology perhaps used in different ways than your ave Chevrolet.

It follows that 19" and 20" wheels coupled with those damnable low profile Summer High Performance tires are going to take a toll on these rubber components to a larger degree than cars not so artfully designed.

I'm reminded of the big oil filled bushing in the front lower control arm that failed at 35,000 miles in my XJR. We also hear a lot about sway arm bushing and other rubber component failures on this Forum.

I'm with Fraser. The sooner one gets rid of out sized wheels, low profile tires, and I would add Summer HP tires, the happier your car and bank acct. will be. Do factor in my age as a contributing factor in arriving at this level of wisdom.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM

first, i have NO one to blame but myself? i have a XKR that i bought sight unseen and so far it has run very well. i read where most VDP owners are/were very happy with their XJ's. i will never ever buy a car sight unseen again. the car inside and the body for an 8 year old car is pristine so i assumed things were followed through. i finally was able to get park place of dallas to tell me 'some' info of the past repair which was normal maint items. being the fact that the car has over 70k miles on it. common sense should have told me TO CHECK IT OUT! but i did not. expensive lesson learned. i will say, the car is absolutely wonderful with the speed and unbelieveable floating on air ride. if anymore items severely develop, she will be put up for sale. part of me says to do it now before things might develop, but what if they don't? what a gamble. i still remember one post as where a member paid $15k for his but considered it as 20k because he was banking 5k for repairs. one last note, if you live around dallas or northern texas, jagmac is/was absolutely incredible with their professionalism, their honesty, and their fair pricing. just my two-cents worth.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

These cars will run the marathon but do need careful and meticulous maintenance, and (lets admit it), early attention to certain parts that wear prematurely. Mine is now running beautifully, and last summer cruised the autobahns of Germany at speed with no problem. Before you ask, No, I didn't test the top speed, wife would scream her head off and deafen me ! At my age, 100 mph is fast enough !!