XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SDD causes errors when connected via mongoose

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default SDD causes errors when connected via mongoose

Hello all,
As I am still sorting out all the little issues on my new to me 05 SV8, one of the last things is the ACC not working. So, I ordered a Mongoose (Chinese version) and finally got it. So, I had SDD v130 install on my XP machine, got the cable working and hooked it up to the car. Now, since my car is an 05 I figured it would read the VIN but it didn't, ok fine, I put it in manually. Anyway, the bigger thing I noticed is as soon as I hooked up the cable to the OBD port, every fault you can imagine lit up on the dash. DSC not available, parkbrake fault, brake fluid too low, gearbox fault, restricted performance, etc (you get the idea). Also, the MIL came on and the red engine temp too high light light up (Even though the car was off). So, I wasn't too sure if that was an issue or not but when SDD read the modules, basically the results were red X's through pretty much every module on every network. It seems that it can't read anything. I know everything is fine with the car (besides the ACC). No engine lights, trans works fine as does all the other systems that don't work according to SDD. Now, SDD was giving me a red battery indicator, so I don't know if a duff battery would cause all this only when connected to SDD. I'm kinda at a loss here of what to do.
I have read up on all I can about it and it I have yet to come across something similar. I've seen someone who lost communication with a door module and just needed to reprogram it, but in my case, everything is fine until I connect the mongoose cable. I even tried connecting it while the car was running thinking since everything was working SDD might see that and start working again, but no go, same as before.
So to all you wonderful fellow enthusiast out there with more knowledge than me, any advice, thoughts, solutions?

EDIT: Just noticed when I went to try a few things that when I plug the mongoose into my laptop is says there is a power surge on the usb port and that the device is drawing too much power, then it goes away and says its working fine. Now, it doesn't do that when I connect it to my other laptop (win 7 so no SDD on it) so I'm wondering if either my usb ports are bad on that old laptop and since the cable doesn't get the right amount of power or something it can't read the car and function properly. For example, this last time I hooked it up, the green light was flashing as I think its supposed to, connected to the car (still did all that stupid error stuff) and when I tried to read the vin SDD said no communication are you sure the cable is connected to the car (or something to that effect). To all of you out there with more computer skills than I, could this be my problem?

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-25-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Always have the car hooked up to a charger when connecting and when programming use one that has a min of 40amps

You will het red/yellow indications when the voltage is to low. You may also need a new battery but hookup to a charger first

That being said what you have seen is not normal and sounds like you have duff cable
Connecting the mongoose does not send the car crazy however you will see some alerts go off as it tests the systems. You will also see things like the guages going up and down. This is while is is scanning the car though not when you first plugin or read the vin

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Don B (04-25-2015), WinterJag (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I was thinking it may be the cable but hoped not as it took forever to get! I think I will try to hook it up to our STR tomorrow and see if it does the same thing. I know you should have a charger hooked up when using SDD but I don't have one at my place, but I figured just hooking it up to make sure it works would be alright as even if the battery was low it should at least tell me codes. Anyway, there was nothing happening beyond the craziness and all the errors when I hooked it up and tried to scan. The only thing that did happen was the radio switched off and on a few times (figured it was checking something). The gauges never moved, nothing else happened, other than the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
Now the computer and SDD recognize the cable is connected, and obviously it partially works (does try to do things) but like you said, sounds like it isn't functioning 100%. I will get in contact with them and see what I can do. After all this waiting for it (over a month) only to have it be faulty.

EDIT: I'm now thinking it might not be a good idea to test it out on our STR. Since the cable looks to be bad, I don't really think its a good idea to hook it up to a car anymore, who knows what it might do. I've already e-mailed uobd2.com about getting a replacement so we'll see what happens.
Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm going to put a hold on using SDD until I get another cable. Anyone here in Winnipeg have one they don't mind letting someone else use by chance?

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-25-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

SDD DVD130 will run on Windows 7.I have it working on my Acer Aspire One(32 bit) with Windows7 Starter.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 04-26-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

It might well be that your SDD or your Mongoose is corrupted or that the installation of all the files was not done properly.

Don't forget that sometimes the Chinese clones don't work.

The very fact that your Mongoose does not read your VIN and that you have to enter it manually is not a good signal.

Because of these risks, I bought separately a set of disks of V131.03 in UK and I am very pleased of it: it has read immediately the VIN numbers of two X350s that were tested, and no Christmas tree ever appeared even though there was no battery charger hooked up.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks again everyone. The v130 I use is the one I downloaded from this site (or was it the UK site, I don't remember at the moment) and I have tried a reinstall. Still no go. It looks like the SDD program is fine as it does what it should. Also, the drivers for the mongoose seem to be fine (also tried a reinstall). I have a feeling it is the cable that is bad. I know sometimes these clones can be iffy but most seem to eventually get a good one that seems to work. I will try a few things again today and see what happens. It seems that since it wont read the vin, and the moment the cable is plugged into the car everything goes haywire, along with the USB power surge when plugged in, the cable is the only logical explanation. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait another month to get a replacement, as long as they agree to send one.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

There is such a thing as non-powered USB ports. There are also
USB ports that do not put out the specified amperage.

Either of these could cause difficulties.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 PM

UPDATE: Well, lets see, I contacted uobd2 and they said I have to follow their steps to install SDD (which I did in the first place) and that if that didn't work they would just remote access my computer to try and fix that (right, like I'll let happen). So, I decided to wipe everything and start over on my XP machine and just like before, no go. The moment the cable is plugged into the car, chaos ensues. So, I set up a Xp virtual machine on my new laptop, all went well with the install and everything else, but the moment it connected to the car, Christmas time again! Tried a wipe/fresh install in the VM and no change. Also, I notice that not only is the green light flashing (as it should) but the red is also rapidly blinking (like it shouldn't). So, based on this and all the combined knowledge and experience I've read and been told on this wonderful site, the cable is completely duff. I'm going to see what uobd2 says about this but if they wont replace the cable (which I think they will based on what I have read about them being actually pretty good about replacing bad cables) at least I can go through PayPal, but I hope it doesn't come to that. Guess its the waiting game for me now!

EDIT: I just noticed something. When the cable is connected, before SDD starts, it is only a green light, no red. Then when I open SDD, suddenly the red light also starts flashing. I'm wondering if maybe the cable is ok and its a software issue after all. I came across one example of the same issue on this site and somehow he solved it, but I don't know how. Since red means driver issue, but only when SDD is started, could there be something wrong with SDD? Should I try another reinstall?

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-28-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM

What happens when you open SDD without the Mongoose connected to your computer? You should be able to get to the screen where where you insert/read the VIN.

On that screen you can press "Settings"(top right),then go to "System Information" .

Then click on PC System Status "Details" This basically tells you if your computer system meets the requirements. You should have all green ticks and an orange question mark for the PC.

This screen also shows, bottom left and right, the version of SDD installed(left) and if the Mongoose JLR is connected(right).

In the past when I have had trouble, this screen is not as I describe.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 04-29-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: syntax
The following users liked this post:
WinterJag (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks for that Six. My plan is to start over one more time with an XP VM, fresh install of everything on my new laptop. I will check what you suggest and see what happens. I also came across two or three instances of the exact same issue I'm having on here in one of the huge threads about the cloned mongoose (car lights up like a Christmas tree when connected) but they never really said how or if it was solved. One last thing, does the mongoose have to be connected to the car before you launch SDD? If so, I haven't done that so is this my problem? At this point, I'll just try it anyway, who knows what may work this time!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

I've noticed several times that with the Mongoose connected to the laptop (not the car), the manual entered VIN won't identify. If you take the Mongoose out it usually does. My guess is this is a non-original Mongoose issue although it also worked connected one time.

Guus

WinterJag (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Thanks for that Six. My plan is to start over one more time with an XP VM, fresh install of everything on my new laptop. I will check what you suggest and see what happens. I also came across two or three instances of the exact same issue I'm having on here in one of the huge threads about the cloned mongoose (car lights up like a Christmas tree when connected) but they never really said how or if it was solved. One last thing, does the mongoose have to be connected to the car before you launch SDD? If so, I haven't done that so is this my problem? At this point, I'll just try it anyway, who knows what may work this time!

No the Mongoose does not need to be connected to the car, or to the computer. See the screen pics near the end of the "huge threads"

WinterJag (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 AM

One last thing---when I have done re-installs I have had problems. On my little Acer I return the computer to "as new" through the restore function.
I also have a flash drive I made with the correct versions of Adobe, Java etc. I load these back on then SDD.I have a "real" Jaguar SDD disc from the UK.

WinterJag (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Many thanks again everyone. So, as I speak, I've got a fresh windows Xp install going on a VM. I will then load up the adobe, java, etc. needed. Then I'm going to install my v130 SDD (which I got from here and I know works and I trust more than the Chinese DVD's of v139 I got) and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 PM

Okay, final try with this cable was a no-go. Fresh install of everything, the computer says cable connected, SDD says cable connected, good. However, still doesn't work. Also, the computer and SDD don't seem recognize the cable is connected every time I hook it up, even when it is. The red light still flashes along with the green when it does connect to the computer and SDD and still messes the car up. So, that's that. This cable is bad. I may not be a computer expert, but I know enough that if you follow the directions (that work for everyone else all the time) and it still doesn't work, gotta be a hardware issue, which isn't out of the question with these clones. Now I have to try and get a replacement since uobd2 keeps saying just give us complete access to your computer with all firewalls and virus programs deactivated and we will see what happens. Right, like I'm going to give some random person from China complete uncontrolled access to my computer. If they wont replace it, I guess its a paypal dispute!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 PM

Just one last thing (I promise!). They told me since I wont give them full remote access to my computer that I will have to send the cable back. Fine. However, apparently it is a holiday until May 4 there and they didn't give me the info for a return before today so I have to wait. Since I have to wait, I again tried a clean install of SDD v139 on a fresh new XP VM. Still didn't work, however, I noticed that when I connected the cable to the car and had the ignition ON in position 1, something was working. Instead of the normal red battery, it went yellow, so it looked like the software was working and could tell the battery was there. But as soon as I when to ON position 2, Christmas time again and the battery indicator went red again. Then just for the heck of it, I hooked the cable up by itself, no SDD running, just plugged into the USB port and powered. Guess what, Christmas time again. No my understanding is if you hooked up the cable without SDD running, nothing should happen, right? After all this, I feel it further confirms that something is wonky with the cable.

All this just to try and figure out why my adaptive cruise won't work!

alan82 (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Correct Nothing will happen with a cable connected to the car but not the computer
In fact I have a dongle in the port all the time, well when the mongoose is not in anyway
I use the dongle to monitor and log the odb pids

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=WinterJag;1217261Right, like I'm going to give some random person from China complete uncontrolled access to my computer. If they wont replace it, I guess its a paypal dispute![/QUOTE]

Ok, first thing first.. There is probably no risk involved with giving the chinaman access to your car. When I bought A Rotunda clone from them nearly four years ago (before the Mongo was cerified.) it didn't work. It didn't help that the tech guy was online with TeamViewer, but it didn't do any harm either. This was the same pusher. (uobd2) After a while I found out that there was an intermittent connection problem in the OBD cable or the connector. The morons offered me to purchase a new cable for about 40$. Well, I cut the cable instead and soldered it directly onto the PCB. Problem solved!
Mongoose: When you plug the mongo into your USB port it lights up red. When the driver loads it start to blink rapidly green. After a couple of seconds you should have green blinking with about two blinks a second.
Your computer see a good mongoose, your car does not. Maybe check for short in the OBD plug?
I have never used the mongoose with as old as v130. Why don't you use something newer? You do not need to install java to get it working if you use one of the newest releases of SDD
My Mongoose is very sensitive to outside temp. If it is a bit chilly outside it refuses to blink green. Must be room tempered to work!
Yes, I agree, most likely your mongoose i defective.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:27 PM

The risk isn't in letting them connect to my car, its my computer they want access to, and I don't let people do that, from China or not, if I don't know them. The mongoose does almost what its supposed to. Plug it in, red light and green light lit up. Finds driver, fast green, installed driver, slower green flashing, but the red light is still blinking now and then. The computer knows its there, SDD knows its there, works ok on ignition position 1, but the second you switch it to position 2 to start getting access to the car is when it acts up. I actually am using SDD v139 now, but it does this on v130 as well. I don't want to cut the cable up as I know if I do, they wont accept it! I have considered just ordering another one and getting a refund as the time it will take to send it back and get a replacement wont be quick!
Overall, the consensus is bad cable.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Is there another member close to you with a cable?
If so, you could try there cable on your PC and Car to confirm its a bad cable
IF it acts the same try your cable on there PC

Sadly i'm on the other side of the world otherwise I'd test it for you

Cheers
34by151

WinterJag (05-03-2015)

Quick Reply: SDD causes errors when connected via mongoose