XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SE Warrnty Ending - Any Pearls of Wisdom for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 09:38 PM
|
Default SE Warrnty Ending - Any Pearls of Wisdom for me?

Yes, we all know that this day will dawn, but that still doesn't make it any easier when it actually happens. Light a candle; say a prayer. My SE warranty expires on Tuesday. I should open a maintenance savings account right away. But there is a silver lining in this cloud. After this next appointment with my Authorized Jaguar Dealer on Thursday (and Friday and Monday, if necessary) I'll never have to go there again! Never!! Actually, truth be told, I've been cheating already with a wonderful indie shop.

Sooo, does anything pop into your mind that I should see if it needs fixin'?

I guess this is good luck for me, but just today my power steering got funky again. All slow and chattery. That's at the top of my list for this visit. Maybe it's time for my third power steering pump in 29,000 miles??

The other perhaps costly repair is to the mechanism that raises and lowers the headrest on the driver's seat. (These are the headrests that have the DVD screens built in.) When lowering the headrest it gets almost to the bottom and stops moving, this accompanied by a ratcheting sound and movement. I can push the headrest and it will get past this problem point and continue down as it should. Same thing (in reverse, duh) when raising the headrest. We'll see what they have to say.

Also, those rubber accordian looking things on either side of the sunroof when the roof is tilted keep falling out. When I mentioned this to the dealer on an earlier visit they just shoved it back up again. Well, *I* could have done that, and *I* don't charge $165.00/hour.

Lastly, (I hear your collective sign of relief) the rubber weatherstipping that is attached to the car around the passenger door has dry rotted and is nearly gone. To my amazement, the SE warranty covered this when it happened on the other side last year. Maybe I can be lucky again?

OK, I'll wrap this up. Anything anyone can think of that I should also check out in these waning days of SE-dom?

Thanks in advance. And thanks for reading this far.

Old 09-25-2011 | 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xistnnn
Yes, we all know that this day will dawn, but that still doesn't make it any easier when it actually happens. Light a candle; say a prayer. My SE warranty expires on Tuesday. I should open a maintenance savings account right away. But there is a silver lining in this cloud. After this next appointment with my Authorized Jaguar Dealer on Thursday (and Friday and Monday, if necessary) I'll never have to go there again! Never!! Actually, truth be told, I've been cheating already with a wonderful indie shop.

Sooo, does anything pop into your mind that I should see if it needs fixin'?

I guess this is good luck for me, but just today my power steering got funky again. All slow and chattery. That's at the top of my list for this visit. Maybe it's time for my third power steering pump in 29,000 miles??

The other perhaps costly repair is to the mechanism that raises and lowers the headrest on the driver's seat. (These are the headrests that have the DVD screens built in.) When lowering the headrest it gets almost to the bottom and stops moving, this accompanied by a ratcheting sound and movement. I can push the headrest and it will get past this problem point and continue down as it should. Same thing (in reverse, duh) when raising the headrest. We'll see what they have to say.

Also, those rubber accordian looking things on either side of the sunroof when the roof is tilted keep falling out. When I mentioned this to the dealer on an earlier visit they just shoved it back up again. Well, *I* could have done that, and *I* don't charge $165.00/hour.

Lastly, (I hear your collective sign of relief) the rubber weatherstipping that is attached to the car around the passenger door has dry rotted and is nearly gone. To my amazement, the SE warranty covered this when it happened on the other side last year. Maybe I can be lucky again?

OK, I'll wrap this up. Anything anyone can think of that I should also check out in these waning days of SE-dom?

Thanks in advance. And thanks for reading this far.
No real pearls of wisdom but in my situation I have had good luck over the years with cars I kept after the warranty ran out when the cars had proven reliable during the warranty period. Includes 528 BMW, E320 MB and and 'Boxster. All of which I owned from new and for a total of 7 or 8 years. Could have gotten an extended warranty but was willing to rol the the dice. Worked out in my favor wit hall three. Conversly have never keeped a troblesome car after the warranty was up. In a few cases the cars never made to the end of the warranty being trade in.
I do have one question though, how common is it for the door seals to dry rot on these cars ? I have never had this happen to any car I have owned, let along one that was only 5 years old. Are you living somewhere that's extraordinarily hot and dry and leaving the car exposed to the elements for extended periods of time ?
?

Old 09-25-2011 | 02:42 PM

...which indie have been using? My SE will run it in February.

Old 10-01-2011 | 03:02 AM
|

Originally Posted by Road_King
...which indie have been using? My SE will run it in February.
I've been using Master Auto Service, Inc., 5451-B Randolph Road, Rockville, MD. Phone: (301) 881-2274. Master Auto Service - Jaguar and Porsche Service This location in MD might be farther than you want to travel.

I've been really happy with their work. They seem to be honest, competent and competitively priced. I've never had any problem whatsover with them, and I don't hesitate at all to recommend them.

The following users liked this post:
Road_King (10-03-2011)
Old 10-01-2011 | 03:15 AM
|
Default Condition of Select Edition car when delivered

Originally Posted by Dadio
I do have one question though, how common is it for the door seals to dry rot on these cars ? I have never had this happen to any car I have owned, let along one that was only 5 years old. Are you living somewhere that's extraordinarily hot and dry and leaving the car exposed to the elements for extended periods of time ?
?
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been under the weather.

The dry rotted and torn seal is a mystery to me. And I mean, no exaggeration, that 99% of the seal was just gone.

I don't know much of the car's history before I bought it. It was a one owner car that had been sold and serviced in Florida. It had been a chauffeur driven car, so you'd think that it had been maintained cosmetically. I do think, though, that it spent most of its life outside. The paint was unusually weathered for a four year old car, and it took lots of effort to make it sparkle again. Nothing inside was faded at all, but that probably was because the car had the darkest limousine tint that I've ever seen. And the tint was even on the windshield! I truly could hardly see through it, and the first day after delivery of the car to me I had that tint removed. (It is also illegal where I live, in Maryland.)

I purchased the car as a Select Edition used from a Florida Jaguar dealer. I purchased it sight unseen, as I thought a SE car would be in top shape. I did, however have the salesperson do a verbal walkaround inspection for me on the telephone.

My previous experiences with various CPOs has been great. I've purchased one Mercedes-Benz CPO and two Audi CPOs, all sight unseen, and all in perfect condition when delivered to me. This car, however had been through the SE certification, but was delivered to me with: (1) this door seal torn/missing, (2) a left rear tire that held air for about 30 minutes, (3) the red light that comes on when the alarm is armed had been pushed through its hole in the dash and was just dangling below, (4) the left rear door wouldn't open, (5) the TSB for the sunroof baffle clips had not been performed and the rubber baffles were both in the glove compartment, (6) both license plates lights missing, (7) check engine light on--needed thermostat, and (8) driver's window wouldn't go down - needed master window switch.

How did this car get SE certified? Anyway, my local Jag dealer was absolutely terrific about taking care of these things for me. The car is now stunning inside and out and I love every minute of driving it.

Old 10-01-2011 | 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

How did you make out with this? I have had this problem before and they replaced the motor. IT is in the shop now for this problem and others, and they are telling me the motor just needs an adjustment and will not be covered of course. I told them they need to find a way to cover it.

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:36 AM

Hard to believe the dealer would deliver any car in that condition let alone one with the "Select Editon" rating. Believe it would have been beneficial to all on the forum if you had identified the dealer who sold you the car so others can avoid them. Word gets around they won't repeat their performance. Word gets back to Jaguar Corporate and it wouldn't happen again. No excuse for delivering any car in their inventory in that condition let alone one with the SE classification.

Last edited by Dadio; 10-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2011 | 02:45 AM
|
Default The SE warranty covered it

Originally Posted by jahummer
How did you make out with this? I have had this problem before and they replaced the motor. IT is in the shop now for this problem and others, and they are telling me the motor just needs an adjustment and will not be covered of course. I told them they need to find a way to cover it.
I had no problem getting my dealer to cover this under the SE warranty. But since it was a warranty repair I don't have any information on what it cost. I hope things work out for you as they should.

Old 10-15-2011 | 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

I had no problem getting my dealer to cover this under the SE warranty. But since it was a warranty repair I don't have any information on what it cost. I hope things work out for you as they should.
They covered it, actually they said 2 motors on each seat were bad so they replaced all, no cost to me