Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

subscribed and watching......

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-19-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry for your SE problems. My experience has been great.

Originally Posted by ChrisinTampa
Select Edition Warranty means Jaguar gets to select what they cover; anything broken, not covered!

I have a 2007 XK and it just got enough miles to start the Select Edition Warranty. Wow... I'm amazed and outraged that Jaguar would allow this to happen. On the face of the warranty and how it is described by the sales team, it is not as good as other luxury brands' warranties, but it is close. WRONG!!!!
I guess I've just been lucky. I generally detest having my car serviced at a dealership (any brand, any dealership) but I've had great experiences with Bethesda Jaguar (sometimes called Manhattan Jaguar) in Bethesda, MD. I never had a significant issue that they said wasn't covered by the SE warranty. I love the SE warranty, and my dealership has done whatever is necessary to have my repairs covered.

They have been especially accommodating, considering that I bought the car as a SE from a dealer in Florida and had it shipped to me in Maryland. The car arrived with an unbelievable list of broken or not working things that all should have been fixed during the SE certification. Here is the list of items from one of my earlier posts:
This car, however had been through the SE certification, but was delivered to me with: (1) this door seal torn/missing, (2) a left rear tire that held air for about 30 minutes, (3) the red light that comes on when the alarm is armed had been pushed through its hole in the dash and was just dangling below, (4) the left rear door wouldn't open, (5) the TSB for the sunroof baffle clips had not been performed and the rubber baffles were both in the glove compartment, (6) both license plates lights missing, (7) check engine light on--needed thermostat, and (8) driver's window wouldn't go down - needed master window switch.

[Lastly, I've probably committed a major faux pas in the way I just quoted text from another post. Is there another way that I should have done this? I think that if I had just inserted the URL the entire thread would have come up, without reference to the particular post within that thread that I wanted to refer to. My apologies if I've broken an etiquette rule on this forum. If I have, would someone please be kind enough to let me know how I should have referred a reader to this particular post?]

As always, many thanks.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least your dealer didn't tell you that the Select Edition program was discontinued, and you have to buy the warranty! Mine did, but I didn't buy the warranty. I told Jag USA and they were indifferent. Jaguar needs to get some consistency with their service guidelines, as the reputation for quality is below par to comparable brands. Dealers need to make a buck, but the brand will continue to suffer in the court of public opinion as long as policies are inconsistent.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlake
At least your dealer didn't tell you that the Select Edition program was discontinued, and you have to buy the warranty! Mine did, but I didn't buy the warranty. I told Jag USA and they were indifferent. Jaguar needs to get some consistency with their service guidelines, as the reputation for quality is below par to comparable brands. Dealers need to make a buck, but the brand will continue to suffer in the court of public opinion as long as policies are inconsistent.
I think you may have caught a salesperson flat footed. Jaguar is in the process of "refreshing" the Select Edition Certified Pre-Owned program into the Select Certified Pre-Owned program. Dealers are supposed to start receiving the new program materials any day now, and they are directed to have their showrooms etc. transitioned by Dec. 31st. Same basic program, the inspection goes from 140 point to 150 point, and it is supposed to be figured in the car's price like before.

Jaguars certified program is still considered one of the best in the business, so I can't quite validate the gripe.

Cheers,

Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's your dealer

I have had the same issue with a dealer here in Santa Monica California who will remain nameless and completely USELESS with our warranty. I have then taken my car with the same issue to Rusnak in Pasadena California and have the same item fixed under warranty. It depends on your dealer and service manager that your working with some of them are great like the one's at Rusnak Jaguar in Pasadena, the others like the ones in Santa Monica (they also have a Hollywood location) are A HOLES! In My Humble Opinion!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Default Good Experience thus far

I've gotta say that I've had a good Select Edition experience thus far.... I just bought a select edition 07 XK Conv in Birmingham & drove it back home to Atlanta... 2 hours into the 2.5 hour drive, I got the Engine Temperature Warning!! I was P'Od to say the least!! At any rate, took it to Hennesey Jaguar and found out it needed a new thermostat. I didn't even KNOW the car was a Select Edition vehicle until my service advisor TOLD me and said that all repair costs would be covered! Talk about good news for a change! Anyway, that said, I'm picking up my baby this afternoon at no charge - well, except for the early scheduled maintenance service that I opted for considering my pockets were going to be a little bit fatter than expected ! Bravo Select Edition!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JPeso5
I've gotta say that I've had a good Select Edition experience thus far.... I just bought a select edition 07 XK Conv in Birmingham & drove it back home to Atlanta... 2 hours into the 2.5 hour drive, I got the Engine Temperature Warning!! I was P'Od to say the least!! At any rate, took it to Hennesey Jaguar and found out it needed a new thermostat. I didn't even KNOW the car was a Select Edition vehicle until my service advisor TOLD me and said that all repair costs would be covered! Talk about good news for a change! Anyway, that said, I'm picking up my baby this afternoon at no charge - well, except for the early scheduled maintenance service that I opted for considering my pockets were going to be a little bit fatter than expected ! Bravo Select Edition!
Cool! Thanks for looking in and telling us about it. You probably have less than a year left on the Select Edition, so when you get your girl back, take some time and scrutinize the rest of the vehicle to see if there are any other issues to take care of before then.

Cheers,

Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I'd just point out this thread started in 2007.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Good Service

My SE Warranty story is long, but here's the quick summary: Wife's 2005 XJ8L broke down in Nowhere, Wyoming. Jaguar had the car towed 200 miles to Denver, let her rent a car and continue on her vacation to Rapid City, SD. They then paid the hotel bill and food for her and her girlfriend until they could be "reunited" with the car 5 days later. They brought it to the hotel, which was nearly 400 miles from the dealership. Turns out that a front shock was leaking (which was not covered) but that caused the compressor relay to overwork and fail, and it was under the SE warranty. The dealer fixed some other stuff he found that was also under warranty and kept me informed by telephone all the way. It did cost a chunk for the shock, but that sort of comes with the territory owning an X350. All in all, I was very, very pleased. As has been said before, I think it has a lot to do with the dealer and how he works the situation.

Cheers,

Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by albert328gts
I have had the same issue with a dealer here in Santa Monica California who will remain nameless and completely USELESS with our warranty. I have then taken my car with the same issue to Rusnak in Pasadena California and have the same item fixed under warranty. It depends on your dealer and service manager that your working with some of them are great like the one's at Rusnak Jaguar in Pasadena, the others like the ones in Santa Monica (they also have a Hollywood location) are A HOLES! In My Humble Opinion!
I agree with Albert on Rusnak Jaguar of Pasadena. They have always shown excellent professionalism and courtesy every time I take my car there for minor maintenance. A free car wash is an added bonus!

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had an excellent experience with Select Edition. The rear differential was replaced at 45,000 miles no questions asked. While in the dealer's care the front end dropped - air suspension issue - and they replaced the passenger side shock absorber/strut (pardon me if I mangle the correct term, the service manager called it the "airbag"). That was a nail biter; service manager said Select Edition doesn't cover air suspension but he worded his email carefully to get it covered. Parts alone would've run $1,800. Agree with other posters who said it takes a good service manager to craft a carefully worded email. They submit their requests in writing and are at the mercy of the warranty company to approve or deny the expense. I'm always given a free loaner car and I've paid $0 for the thousands this would've cost out of pocket without a warranty. Great experience.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
My SE Warranty story is long, but here's the quick summary: Wife's 2005 XJ8L broke down in Nowhere, Wyoming. Jaguar had the car towed 200 miles to Denver
I have to ask, was that Sill Terhar Jag? They have treated us very well.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM

...if you have problems, call Jaguar North America. I had an warranty issue with a dealer and got it remedied through them. Got it repaired pronto.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,127 Likes on 794 Posts

Interesting... this is not my experience at al. Select edition warranty has always paid off for me.
Also Interesting: frombenz2jag, you have the same cars that I have?? I can't believe it!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotAlan
I have to ask, was that Sill Terhar Jag? They have treated us very well.
Actually, it was Stevinson Imports in Littleton.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

--I may as well keep this thread going in lieu of starting anew...

My purchasing decision on a '07-08 XKR 'vert came down to two factors: 1) it had to be triple black, and 2) it had to have SE warranty. Ironically, it is these two factors which have led to me now driving an Infinity G37 loaner.

This 2007 XKR is absolutely immaculate--except for two areas. The dash is a god-awful mess, because the previous owner had no concept of leather care... obviously, SE doesn't cover that--which I get, because that is truly a "trim" piece. But, here is where we derail: this past Sunday the rear window fell out. Yes, you read that correctly. We're talking about a six-figure vehicle fewer than five years old with fewer than 45k miles... and the rear window fell out--er, into the car. Here's the humorous part: Jaguar Select Edition DOES NOT COVER this particular problem.

Wait, what?? That's right. The convertible top is considered "trim" or, as my service manager more-or-less put it via comparison: the convertible top is like a consumable part similar to brake pads, therefore it is rather obvious that it would not be covered by SE.

I'm two-time Jaguar owner--the last of which I accumulated more than 150,000 miles on without issue. Sadly, this will be my last. I've had this XKR for fewer than four months, and as soon as I cough up the $3,000 - 4,800 to get a new rear window it is being traded for a German automobile. My next purchase was to be a new XKR-S, but I'll never pay another penny to Jaguar. I never thought I would ever say that, because I have bled British Racing Green since I graduated college and saved up enough to go English... but this is absurd.

--Just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring. Jag is losing a brand-for-life customer today.

e

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm disappointed to hear that the Select Edition warranty does not cover things like the interior trim (especially the dash, which is problematic with pre-2009 cars) and the convertible top.

Is this typical or is this just a problem with a particular dealership?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I'm disappointed to hear that the Select Edition warranty does not cover things like the interior trim (especially the dash, which is problematic with pre-2009 cars) and the convertible top.

Is this typical or is this just a problem with a particular dealership?
I don't think there are very many second-owner warranties, manufacturer backed or not, that cover soft trim items or rubber. Jag's Select never has, even while it was touted by many mag's as the best in the business.

Now in the case of emxnyc I'm puzzled. Window regulators ARE covered by Jaguar Select, and that is the most likely failure to cause the glass to fall into the car. The only thing I can think of that possibly might NOT be covered, would be the glass itself severing from the channel that bolts to the regulator. But I have never seen that happen. I would want to question the dealer about that.

Cheers,

Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I'll relate my latest Select Edition/Service experience.

I took my 07 Xk to my favorite Jag dealer in Tampa. I can choose between any 1 of 4 jag dealers within 100 miles of my house.

My issue was a slightly vague feel to the steering in the straight away. The diagnosis came back in 30 minutes. A blown Rt Ft computer controlled shock, not covered by SE and required mandatory replacement of both front shocks for over $1500.

The kicker was "do it now or be charged $115 for diagnosis". Nope. Not allowed to do 1 at a time. Service writer told me that "the days of complementary service diagnosis are over - SE or not".

I paid em the $115 and took the car home and did it myself for $175 with a new attitude toward my previous "favorite" Jag dealer. I have since learned that the Jag required mandatory replacenent of both shocks policy was rescinded, wait for it, years ago.

Last edited by user 2029223; 08-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Now in the case of emxnyc I'm puzzled. Window regulators ARE covered by Jaguar Select, and that is the most likely failure to cause the glass to fall into the car.
Um,.. there is no window regulator anywhere near the rear window of any car equipped with a convertible top*. The automobile's rear window is actually permanently affixed to the convertible top--therefore, SE considers this particular union-in-question (between the glass and the canvas) exempt.

I hate to sound short or sarcastic, but my patience wears thin when hip-shot replies are rendered without first reading my entire post... because I am not one to omit any detail, whatsoever.

Thanks!

e

Quick Reply: Select Edition Warranty scam!