XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Select Edition Warranty scam!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by emxnyc
--I may as well keep this thread going in lieu of starting anew...

My purchasing decision on a '07-08 XKR 'vert came down to two factors: 1) it had to be triple black, and 2) it had to have SE warranty. Ironically, it is these two factors which have led to me now driving an Infinity G37 loaner.

This 2007 XKR is absolutely immaculate--except for two areas. The dash is a god-awful mess, because the previous owner had no concept of leather care... obviously, SE doesn't cover that--which I get, because that is truly a "trim" piece. But, here is where we derail: this past Sunday the rear window fell out. Yes, you read that correctly. We're talking about a six-figure vehicle fewer than five years old with fewer than 45k miles... and the rear window fell out--er, into the car. Here's the humorous part: Jaguar Select Edition DOES NOT COVER this particular problem.

Wait, what?? That's right. The convertible top is considered "trim" or, as my service manager more-or-less put it via comparison: the convertible top is like a consumable part similar to brake pads, therefore it is rather obvious that it would not be covered by SE.

I'm two-time Jaguar owner--the last of which I accumulated more than 150,000 miles on without issue. Sadly, this will be my last. I've had this XKR for fewer than four months, and as soon as I cough up the $3,000 - 4,800 to get a new rear window it is being traded for a German automobile. My next purchase was to be a new XKR-S, but I'll never pay another penny to Jaguar. I never thought I would ever say that, because I have bled British Racing Green since I graduated college and saved up enough to go English... but this is absurd.

--Just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring. Jag is losing a brand-for-life customer today.

e

Any car with a fully leather dash can have problems even with low miles, its all about how much sun and heat exposure it has had and how well it has been taken care of previously. I know someone else who just paid over $4k to have a new dash put in his XK because hes horrible with taking care of it and it shrunk.

While the window falling out sounds freakish and I truly feel for you, any convertible is going to be more maintenance intensive then its coupe counter part. I am not sure about SE but its very hard to find an extended warranty that covers ANY part of the convertible top, motors associated with it, seals etc.

I think you can probably find an independent source who can do it for you way cheaper. I also think its silly if you let this 1 problem lead you to another car brand.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
I'll relate my latest Select Edition/Service experience.

I took my 07 Xk to my favorite Jag dealer in Tampa. I can choose between any 1 of 4 jag dealers within 100 miles of my house.

My issue was a slightly vague feel to the steering in the straight away. The diagnosis came back in 30 minutes. A blown Rt Ft computer controlled shock, not covered by SE and required mandatory replacement of both front shocks for over $1500.

The kicker was "do it now or be charged $115 for diagnosis". Nope. Not allowed to do 1 at a time. Service writer told me that "the days of complementary service diagnosis are over - SE or not".

I paid em the $115 and took the car home and did it myself for $175 with a new attitude toward my previous "favorite" Jag dealer. I have since learned that the Jag required mandatory replacenent of both shocks policy was rescinded, wait for it, years ago.
Hey Tarheal, what tampa dealer are you using? and who is your service advisor and who is the service manager there now? if you would rather PM it to me feel free, Maybe i can help you out since I know a lot of dealers in the area.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Hello BMW. Long time no see in these parts. Hope your business is doing well up there.

I don't mind saying the dealer was Jaguar of Tampa. Don't know the Serv. Mgr., as I've never met him. Best keep the Serv. Writers name out of the public domain because it's probably not his fault. No doubt he could use a personality transplant but that's another story. I believe they are down to just the one though.

Thanks for the offer but it's all sorted now. I will in future call around to the various Jag dealers in North Central Fl before contracting future service or parts. BTW - All should be aware that some Jag dealers are now quoting parts prices well above MSRP, on the order of 100%. Are you reading this Jag Orlando?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Um,.. there is no window regulator anywhere near the rear window of any car equipped with a convertible top*. The automobile's rear window is actually permanently affixed to the convertible top--therefore, SE considers this particular union-in-question (between the glass and the canvas) exempt.

I hate to sound short or sarcastic, but my patience wears thin when hip-shot replies are rendered without first reading my entire post... because I am not one to omit any detail, whatsoever.

Thanks!

e
I got it, but XJRGUY missed it, so no reason to blast him! This is exactly why techs leave sites. There IS NO reason we should be blasted because your frustrated with YOUR car, we didnt build it, we dont make the rules for warranty, we dont make the parts. Another reason Ive been spending alot less time here.
Now thats out of the way, I know what youre talking about because we do see this alittle bit more often in Texas. And yes it IS NOT covered by select because it is trim/glass. leather etc...If it where a convertible top latch, ram, switch it would be covered.
But that being said I have 1 in here right now and we send them out and have a trim shop or good glass guy urethane the glass back to the top for a couple hundred. I just priced a new top and its about $1600 plus install. We send that out to as a trim shop can do it faster and cheaper..

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
joycesjag (08-09-2012), tommyd (08-09-2012), xjrguy (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Geez, thanks for the backup, Bill [brutal].

Yep! That one got by me, for sure. I guess the wife is right.......I ain't perfect. A simple "No, buddy, I meant the back glass in the top" would have sufficed. I'm not going to bite and give the guy a fight. I'll bet he's one of those fellas who says, "You know, I have trouble everywhere I go to have my car serviced."

Life's too short. Thanks to all those who appreciate the assistance we techs provide when we can. And there are many!

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
SLD (05-29-2013)
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Jag Techies, please don't stop posting. Certainly for me at least, your input is greatly valued.

Problem with all forums is that posted text can be read in several ways sometimes. Of course some people can find the approach of some dealers a bit unfriendly. Jaguar Cars Ltd have not helped themselves by advertising their used Jaguar warranties in rather glowing terms, then when something real happens, point to the clause that says "so and so is excluded". OK, everybody should read the small print, (it's small to try to dissuade you from reading it !!).

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by fraser mitchell
jag techies, please don't stop posting. Certainly for me at least, your input is greatly valued.

Problem with all forums is that posted text can be read in several ways sometimes. Of course some people can find the approach of some dealers a bit unfriendly. Jaguar cars ltd have not helped themselves by advertising their used jaguar warranties in rather glowing terms, then when something real happens, point to the clause that says "so and so is excluded". Ok, everybody should read the small print, (it's small to try to dissuade you from reading it !!).

right on!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Geez, thanks for the backup, Bill [brutal].
Originally Posted by xjrguy

Yep! That one got by me, for sure...
I have to apologize, gents. It takes a lot to get me angry; I'm usually the guy posting helpful information (in XK/XKR), but this post makes me appear to be a jack@ss, when in reality I am rather mild.

You know how wise people will suggest that you write that angry letter to vent your frustration--but then send it to yourself, not the intended recipient? Well, this is one of those times I should have done just that... I wasn't even that upset with the post I was replying to, which makes me even more of a d-bag in this instance.

I'm often younger than my clients and counterparts by upwards of 25-30 years, so it's not uncommon for my opinion or judgement to be discounted simply due to my age, or assumed lack of experience. On this day (the day of my douchebaggery above) I was literally winding up a conference with a significant client; we were going over their company's intellectual property plan (patents, trademarks, etc...); this is my field. This is also why the client sought-out my company. Every so often, the CEO likes to discount my advice based on his perception of how patents work--which gets me a bit upset, because it is rare that any of my clients have any IP whatsoever when we sit for the first time... yet I have an extensive IP portfolio, which includes my own utility patents, which are for actual consumer products sold everyday all around the world. (Another story for another thread.)

So, after basically being told that I don't know exactly what I am talking about, my pocket vibrates and I glance down at the alert to see that someone commented on this thread. Naturally, I popped into the thread--and what I [thought] I read was another you don't know what you're talking about--of course it's covered, etc... So, a bit of my NYer boiled to the surface, and I banged out that post. Yep. Should have sent an email to myself--but instead, I deflected my anger over to this thread. Which makes me a d-bag. A note: I did stuff a $20 bill into the Douchebag Jar this morning.

I am sensitive to the system. That is, I know how the work and information flows, because I built and ran a company which manufactures a consumer product in the powersport segment--and we had a factory warranty with a three-year period... but there are those situations when you have to consider the big picture, and make a concession. It's only right. Since my formal education is in branding--and I happened to be the CEO of this company--my opinion on customer service and warranties, etc was almost always at odds with the bean-counters within the company. Someone has the be the *****, and it wasn't me. I knew that if we took care of people--even if it were outside of what was written on a silly piece of paper titled "Warranty", that it would assuredly do great things for our brand, even though it might cost us a few bucks today. The return may not be realized for years, but brand is so much more than that, and how you treat your customers--despite what bean-counters believe--lays the foundation of your brand within the hearts and minds of your customers (and potential customers!). Therefore, I would never be 'that guy who is a jackass at the dealership'. I know that policies like these are made in some office up in Mahwah--or over in GB. In fact, this convertible top issue was so upsetting to me that I wrote a letter to the Global Brand Manager of Jaguar, and copied-in the CEO and the Client Services Dept of Jaguar North America. The letter was not negatively-toned, nor was there a trace of a threat. It was a letter about my love of this brand, and how this situation made me feel. I took my appeal to the one person within Jaguar who knows the importance of maintaining the moniker. I know that the service manager over at Orlando Jaguar has little control over what's covered/could be covered under SE. I spoke extremely highly of him, by-name, in my post-service survey--even after he told me the top wasn't covered. I was p*ssed!, but I know where the blame was--and it wasn't even within the walls of Jaguar. It is the decision of someone at the aftermarket warranty company. I know where to take the appeal, so the post which started my public outing as an a-hole is completely out of character. All I can do is offer my sincerest apology--and ask that my post doesn't cast a negative shadow over this community.

Oh, and Jaguar corp authorized a full replacement of my top--called it goodwill. That is exactly what it is to me, and I will stay with this brand until the day I am not able to drive.

I love this brand, and I respect everyone within the organization. Always have. Always will.

-e

The following 4 users liked this post by emxnyc:
Brutal (08-09-2012), Norri (08-09-2012), plums (05-30-2013), xjrguy (08-10-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

^^^^so you ARE human then, you can pull the $20 out of the d bag cup. You brought up and bring up very valid points. I do not disagree, just felt your frustration was misplaced. I( and other techs in here, thats why we do it) go out of our way to work with customers here(at work) and here(the forum) to increase positive perceptions and quell the negative. Any company is only as good as the people in it.
There are only a handfull of us techs that stick around long term in here. Hate to say it but sometimes these(human) situations come up at make me want to leave. I loose money posting and reading here by alot. Both direct(my time not producing) and indirect(might take away work by telling someone how to do it) I look at it differantly though(not always )
information helps people make informed descisions. And when they make those they feel better about making them. Many times Ive told people how they could do it, only to be told, no ide rather you do it for me instead, "i trust you"
sales dept sells the first car, service sells all the rest. This is true no matter what the business youre in.
Thanks for your time and heartfelt apology. Youre wise beyond your yrs imo...
I just hate the title of the thread, imo Select is one of the absolute best. no it doesnt cover everything and none do. IMO its not a scam but a misconception. I always encourage everyone no matter what policy theyre looking at to read "whats not covered" Ive never seen S.E. weasle out of a repair by sending an inspector to inspect car and repairs needed, then deny the claim(imagine this on a engine or trans, Ive seen it happen many times), but have seen many other outside companies do just that. That to me says scam

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
emxnyc (08-10-2012), plums (05-30-2013), xjrguy (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

I have to apologize, gents. It takes a lot to get me angry; I'm usually the guy posting helpful information (in XK/XKR)..............

I love this brand, and I respect everyone within the organization. Always have. Always will.

-e
Well, I always say it takes a pretty big man to admit he popped a cork when he probably shouldn't have, and then put forth the effort to make amends. Apology cheerfully accepted!

Also goes to show that if you have a grievance, and make a sane, civil case to Jaguar Cars, they will likely make an effort to help. Not always, but often.

I always tell people, suppose you made something and sold it to a neighbor; how long do you think you would feel responsible for that item should it break?? It does make you think. It's amazing they even attempt to cover these vehicles as long as they do, regardless of manufacturer.

Thanks again emx...... Let's drive Jags!

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
emxnyc (08-10-2012), plums (05-30-2013)
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the acceptance of my apology, gents! This is truly one of the best forums I've been a part of, and I have been a part of several vehicle-centric forums! (For each car and bike I've owned, from the Pontiac Grand Prix forum to the Ducati forum..) I think the difference here is the higher level of respect everyone seems to have--not only for their auto and themselves, but for the other members of the forum. It's something I want to be a positive, contributing member of--certainly not a source for dramas and/or negativity.

Anyway, the [new] top is down, the sun is up... so, as xjrguy put it: let's drive Jags!

-e

The following 3 users liked this post by emxnyc:
Brutal (08-26-2012), Norri (08-14-2012), xjrguy (08-14-2012)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Nice to see everyone is happy now

Thanks all around.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess I should post my experience with Jaguar "Select Edition Warranty". My warranty was running out in two months and had a few small problems going on like the A/C was blowing warm, key fob would not open drivers door, ( no not the fob), idler pulley squeaking, parking assist not working and they found a few other things.
The dealer had my car for almost two weeks (waiting for parts), but gave me a brandy new XF to drive while they had my car. When I picked up my car they gave me a bill for $34.43, which I gladly paid and now everything works. So I have to say that the Select Edition warranty works, Thank you Jaguar.

One thing I should add is they did say my transmission coolant lines were showing signs of weeping and would need to be replaced in the near future and being rubber hose that is failing is not covered by the warranty. They want $1500.00 to replace them. I asked if they were leaking, they said no "just a little moist at the rubber connection". I told them to hold off for now.

Sorry XF fans, it was a nice car but I am real happy to be driving my XJ again.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Dealer Inspection?

This thread won't die despite its nasty title.

Question as some of these posts got me thinking.

When the Select Edition Warranty is nearing expiration, is it ethical or advisable to bring the car to the dealer for an inspection? My car is running fine and my warranty covers me to the end of 2013, but should one bring the car in say 45 days before the expiry?

I'm not a fan of gaming the system but it seems others have indicated this might be a practice accepted by the dealer. After all it's more $$ for the service guys.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Greg, I knew I had a few things wrong but I don't think there is anything wrong with having the dealer check the car over prior to the warranty running out

Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

i'd look for another dealer. This is not my experience at all.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this site and already am excited that I can go to a place that will tell me the truth. I am happy to be hear.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 AM

and I am also happy to be HERE on Jaguar Forums..!!!

I did not buy an extended warranty when I purchased my XK new in 2010, I am now looking to purchase one and would love advice on which one and how much coverage I should get.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Wow...this site is awesome and I must say it has brought new love and respect to my service writer. I can tell you it is the truth. When I had a MB my dealership and service was horrible. I changed advisers and dealerships and it was fabulous. I did the same with my Jag. I bought it from one dealership who had attitude in service so I went to another. I love him and he gets everything covered under warranty. Of course it is still in factory. Now I am looking for extended. Help.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GregW
This thread won't die despite its nasty title.

Question as some of these posts got me thinking.

When the Select Edition Warranty is nearing expiration, is it ethical or advisable to bring the car to the dealer for an inspection? My car is running fine and my warranty covers me to the end of 2013, but should one bring the car in say 45 days before the expiry?

I'm not a fan of gaming the system but it seems others have indicated this might be a practice accepted by the dealer. After all it's more $$ for the service guys.

Greg, this isnt playing games or anything. The only way it might get to be questionable is if you asked for them to break something so you could get it replaced. There are often times little things that have broken and you might not even know it. Definitely a win-win for you to take it in and let them go over the car. You have already paid for the warranty, you have every right to use it.

Originally Posted by Jeanine
Wow...this site is awesome and I must say it has brought new love and respect to my service writer. I can tell you it is the truth. When I had a MB my dealership and service was horrible. I changed advisers and dealerships and it was fabulous. I did the same with my Jag. I bought it from one dealership who had attitude in service so I went to another. I love him and he gets everything covered under warranty. Of course it is still in factory. Now I am looking for extended. Help.
Jeanine, do you mind if i ask which dealer and service advisor you use down there?

As it sounds you have a great report with them, they are probably the best person to ask. My #1 suggestion is look into adding on to your existing warranty. Price it from that dealer as well as a few others as they set the price so it can very. Just because you buy the extension from 1 dealer doesnt mean youre stuck servicing with them either. If your XK is a convertible try to make sure it covers the top as well, although this is a hard item to find.

hope this helps both of you!