XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sepangs: X350 ET49 centers with 10" X100 barrels possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Sepangs: X350 ET49 centers with 10" X100 barrels possible?

Hi guys and gals,

Once again I have yet another episode of my frustration with traction. My fiancee just got a 1st gen Audi TT with the 225hp motor and quattro, and boy, does it hook! From a dead stop, it beats the Jag, even with its bolt-ons. Therefore, my quest for better grip.

I had this thought for some time, that one could take the Sepangs from a X350, keep the centers, and switch the barrels from a X100 XK/R. That would give us 10 inches, and offset would be solved with very mild spacers, like 15/20mm.

The main question is do the holes in the X100 Sepangs have the same distance between them as the X350 ones, are the barrels interchangeable?

I know 285s fit the 9 inch Sepangs, but while at the dealer, I parked the car next to a X150 XKR with wider rims, but same width tire. No comparison, the actual footprint is much much wider! This, and coupled with a one-step thicker sidewall would give us access to GTR-sized tires which even have racing compounds. Then we could finally bite deeper under the 2.0s 60ft barrier, while still retaining the stock beauty of the Sepangs.

What say you?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I currently have the GTR tires on my car both front and rear on my 9" sepangs. They clear the quarter panel perfect and ever so slightly rubbed inner plastics. Honestly the footprint looks pretty good so far. Think Id be afraid to use the 10" barrel. Ill take some measurements when I get home. A plus to these tires are that potholes don't nearly scare me as much..And BTW....I brought back up your transmission post. How did that all turn out?

Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I looked into exactly this a while back. I was talking with Steve at SB Wheels in the UK about it.

It's theoretically possible.

Originally Posted by Steve
The one thing to note is that unlike the XJ wheels, the XK wheels only came with the stainless trims. The XJ came with two versions - the trimmed version with the stainless trim and the later version that had a matching hyper silver finish. Obviously you would need to make them the same as your fronts, depending if they were trimmed or not. If they were not then even better as you would not have the expense of replacing trims if they were damaged in order to match. We manufacture the trims and they are not a cheap option so if you went for the silver version that woudl save you a few pennies.

Also the other thing to note is the valve set up. As we previously discussed the XJ uses the normal rubber valve whereas all of the XK uses the sunken valve system. The hole in the XJ wheel is too large to clamp the centre with the XK valve, although you could possibly use it without the clamping facility as it is between a couple of studs to secure it. The options are to create a lip in the XJ centre to use the XK valve assembly although this would not match the fronts. The other option is to use the hole in the XJ centre and weld up the valve hole after removing the valve assembly in the XK drum and then redrill (at the correct angle and machine a flat) in order to take a rubber valve and hence match the front XJ wheels.
Originally Posted by Steve
Yes the XJ Sepang centre will fit directly onto the XK Sepang drum in terms of studs lining up etc, but as previously mentioned you have to rework the valve assembly in order to complete the process.

I haven't tried the fitment onto a X350 so not sure of any possible conflicts or clearance issues. I am pretty sure that there will not be that much demand for this as I have never been asked for it before !!! and to be fair it is not an economically sound thing for us to really do, as the XK rear Sepangs are of much more value and in higher demaand than the XJ versions so it wouldn't be something I woudl rush in to offer, but if you could get a couple of relatively cheap XK and XJ drums and centres respectively that were in need of refurbishment, then yes it is possible to creat a 10J XJ Sepang (but with a rework on the valve assembly - either welding or drilling depending upon valve option).

Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

But let me say one thing, you will be better off running an 18" wheel/tyre combo if you want to run faster down the strip.

And with an LSD you will easily get your sub 2.0 60ft time even on 255's (I've gone 1.9 many times now).

Find some 5.0L XK150 XK "Venus" 18" wheels (correct rear offset) and fit some sticky rubber to them. Much easier and a better result in the end.