XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Shift Lever Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
Need assistance on how to remove the J-gate assembly...
Originally Posted by reyesl
This is the part I removed:

I am considering replacing my J-gate assembly because of repeated and unpredictable difficulties to disengage from P (already verified it is not due to the two shift cable bolts or to the brake pedal switch).
Could you please elaborate on how you finally managed to remove your J-gate assembly and is it necessary to disassembly the whole centrale console to do so?

Alternatively, is it simpler to remove the small wingnut to bypass the solenoid action, and/or to replace the electronic cardboard assembly (if that is the culprit) by using one taken from a replacement J-gate shifter without disassembling the whole J-gate shifter and/or dismantling the whole console as shown in the picture attached?

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (01-02-2024)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Bump.
No advice from those who have looked into that shifter?

Old 01-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
Bump.
No advice from those who have looked into that shifter?
Share some more specifics as to what you want to achieve. Feel free to PM me as well. I've been deep into the J Gate assembly. I would recommend not bypassing anything.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Very kind from you abonano, thank you.
I will keep the discussion here for the time being, if it can help others in the future.

I have read many posts and threads on the issue but have not found the info I am looking for.
As said, my gear shifter is very unreliable to disengage from P.
I understand that the issue may come either from the solenoid or from the electronic circuit board under the J-gate fascia, as described by Reyes in this thread.
So here under my questions, in a more structured approach.

1. In an emergency, I know (and I have used it) that to unlock the shifter from the P position I can push with a screwdriver the small side lever of the wignut that can be accessed from the left side of the J-gate when the console is removed.

2. As a second possible approach, Reyes has apparently removed the small wignut. This avoids having to remove the console each time it would be needed, but is questionable regarding safety (the shifter could be moved from P with no resistance) although I could live with it.
What is not clear to me if I were to remove that small wignut is if that job could be done from the top of the J-gate, only by removing the fascia plate, or if it would be necessary to disassemble the whole central console, a then much more demanding job.

Both actions 1. and 2. allow to disengage the shifter from P, albeit not in a clean (or permanent) way...

3. Next and more durable would be to replace the top of the J-gate assembly, namely the part including the electronic circuit board (assuming that it is the culprit, not the solenoid, as it was the case for Reyes), extracting the board of a used J-gate to be acquired on ebay, and transfering it above the bottom of my current J-gate assembly, keeping in particular the current solenoid mechanism.
Here again, I would like to know if that job could be done without having to remove the whole central console.
I would be inclined to say yes, but not sure.

4. Finally, the full repair would consist of replacing the whole J-gate assembly.
For that replacement, I would think that the disassembly of the central console (including the 4 zone climate control) would be necessary but I would like to know if it is indeed required.

I am asking these questions because I think I could do myself 1. 2. and 3. if the whole disassembly of the central console is not required, but I would better ask my indy to do the job if the disassembly is required, so probably for step 4.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM

Very kind from you abonano, thank you.
I will keep the discussion here for the time being, if it can help others in the future.

I have read many posts and threads on the issue but have not found the info I am looking for.
As said, my gear shifter is very unreliable to disengage from P.
I understand that the issue may come either from the solenoid or from the electronic circuit board under the J-gate fascia, as described by Reyes in this thread.
So here under my questions, in a more structured approach.

1. In an emergency, I know (and I have used it) that to unlock the shifter from the P position I can push with a screwdriver the small side lever of the wignut that can be accessed from the left side of the J-gate when the console is removed.

2. As a second possible approach, Reyes has apparently removed the small wignut. This avoids having to remove the console each time it would be needed, but is questionable regarding safety (the shifter could be moved from P with no resistance) although I could live with it.
What is not clear to me if I were to remove that small wignut is if that job could be done from the top of the J-gate, only by removing the fascia plate, or if it would be necessary to disassemble the whole central console, a then much more demanding job.

Both actions 1. and 2. allow to disengage the shifter from P, albeit not in a clean (or permanent) way...

3. Next and more durable would be to replace the top of the J-gate assembly, namely the part including the electronic circuit board (assuming that it is the culprit, not the solenoid, as it was the case for Reyes), extracting the board of a used J-gate to be acquired on ebay, and transfering it above the bottom of my current J-gate assembly, keeping in particular the current solenoid mechanism.
Here again, I would like to know if that job could be done without having to remove the whole central console.
I would be inclined to say yes, but not sure.

4. Finally, the full repair would consist of replacing the whole J-gate assembly.
For that replacement, I would think that the disassembly of the central console (including the 4 zone climate control) would be necessary but I would like to know if it is indeed required.

I am asking these questions because I think I could do myself 1. 2. and 3. if the whole disassembly of the central console is not required, but I would better ask my indy to do the job if the disassembly is required, so probably for step 4.
Ok, gotcha.

The top part of the J Gate assembly can be removed from the bottom part of the J Gate assembly. (I've done it) You will need to remove the entire J Gate assembly to do so from recollection.

To me it sounds like a failure of the solenoid inside the J Gate. (Unless liquid spilled on the J Gate - then the board would be suspect)

I also have a 4 zone HVAC system in my XJR and all that you need to do is remove the centre console. It's only 4 bolts.

2 up front and one, each rear once you pop off the little plastic side vents on the bottom rear of the centre console.

Pop the fascia around the radio and push rearward then up slightly. You can either #1 disconnect the HVAC display at the back of the console. (Pop out wood veneer and its held by 6 or 7 torx bolts) slip the unit through the centre console, then you can remove the centre console - or #2 disconnect the electrical connectors, then take the console out with the HVAC display attached - I found some of the connectors hard to remove, so I opted for #1

Once that's out of the way, you remove the shift cable, parking brake cable from the J Gate, the connector in the rear and 4 torx bolts.

You'll have to partially loosen the coin holder/cigarette plug assembly (2 Phillip's screws) to get clear access to the front 2 bolts holding the J Gate assembly in.

Then remove it from vehicle then you should be able to inspect, apply 12V to the parking solenoid.

If needed I have a spare J Gate assembly available.

Last edited by abonano; 01-21-2021 at 06:57 PM.
paydase (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you very much abonano, precious and detailed info for disassembling.
Also for your opinion concerning the failure more probably of the solenoid, not of the board as in the case of Reyes who indeed showed the impact of likely spills.
Thank you also for the J-gate proposal but I have already sourced a used one in UK.

With your explanations, I think I can do the job myself now.
Not immediately but in the next future.
When done, I will report

Old 01-22-2021, 05:41 PM

Thank you very much abonano, precious and detailed info for disassembling.
Also for your opinion concerning the failure more probably of the solenoid, not of the board as in the case of Reyes who indeed showed the impact of likely spills.
Thank you also for the J-gate proposal but I have already sourced a used one in UK.

With your explanations, I think I can do the job myself now.
Not immediately but in the next future.
When done, I will report
Good deal. Best way is swapping the J Gate assembly. Its plug and play. Just disconnect the battery before doing anything.

With the replacement J Gate check the plastic piece that rides along the metal shift stalk. You might find it cracked or worse yet broken.

I'll try and get a pic of what it looks like broken vs. intact. If you find it broken in the replacement and good on your original - swap the top part of the J Gate for the bottom.

paydase (01-22-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 05:28 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I am a bit late to the party and have not read all 66 comments. If it works sometimes it is possible it only needs lubricating. There at least two places that need lube. The side button, that we use the screwdriver on to release from park, and the guide/shaft that comes out of the rear of the j-gate when the solenoid activates. It was the rear one on mine that was causing the hangup. Of course if it does not see the brake applied signal it will not release either.
Sorry if this has already been discussed previously.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Do You still have the J-gate assembly???
Ragnar Carstam
Sweden
Raining down on my gear shift lever, stuck in par. according to mech, need a new C2C36038.

Best regards

Ragnar