XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Shock absorber problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock absorber problem

Hello , I have changed the front right shock absorber after I blown it out playing with the functions of the obd reader , but my fault I didn't replace the same time the left one.
my problem is that the left one when I put manually more than 6.5 bars it is like opening a relief valve in the shock absorber and loosing air from the bottom of the membrane which exist some small holes.
Now with the 6.5 bar the car seats 3 cm lower than it should. I don't understand why can't hold more than 6.5 bars when can hold up to 40bars.
My question is that the shock absorber is bad ? It is something else? Can I make a temporary fix because I am in an Island far away of everything and I have to load the car to a container so I have to do something ,
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:51 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

First, there is nothing you can do with an OBD reader that can blow out a new or good strut. There is a relief valve in the compressor that limits it to 17.5 bar. The pressure in a strut will rise to 20 bar when fully loaded and you hit a large bump.
Second, It would appear both struts were due for replacement with the second one only partially failing. All you need to do is get the second strut and replace it. If 'you' did the first then the second will not be a problem. If you have to go off island to have a shop do it that is problematic. They are not all that difficult to change and it may be worthwhile reading up on it and doing it yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldKarz:
Anestis grec (02-20-2024), Don B (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
First, there is nothing you can do with an OBD reader that can blow out a new or good strut. There is a relief valve in the compressor that limits it to 17.5 bar. The pressure in a strut will rise to 20 bar when fully loaded and you hit a large bump.
Second, It would appear both struts were due for replacement with the second one only partially failing. All you need to do is get the second strut and replace it. If 'you' did the first then the second will not be a problem. If you have to go off island to have a shop do it that is problematic. They are not all that difficult to change and it may be worthwhile reading up on it and doing it yourself.
Thank you for your answer,
It is very strange how I blow out the shock absorber, I I was filing the reservoir with the software and when reached almost 16 bars I stopped the procedure, so the reservoir was filled with almost 16 bars and I close the car and after some minutes I listened the sound of a bam ,blowing the shock absorber.
I think changed the mode after some minutes and open the valve and filled suddenly with air , but 16 bar is not so much so I don't know why.
I have order the second one and for the first one took me maybe 10-15:minutes to change it , it is very easy.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

The only thing I can think of is that the pressure transducer on the reservoir is faulty and you are getting a higher pressure than indicted. However there is the relief valve which should dump any excess pressure before it does any damage.