XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Short video of my Daimler Super Eight (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 12:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyBoah
You have such a fine Jag, that I have to say I'm jealous. Enjoy it!

Thanks, Tommy

Old 04-06-2024, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thermite
Oye!

Don't call it a Jaguar!

Daimlerii take offence, as that's akin to calling a Chrysler Imperial a Plymouth with lockwashers, or a Cadillac a Buick with pimp-mobile trim.

Thanks for looking out for me Thermite, and of course the other Daimler owners

I was doing a bit of research on the Daimler name and it explained why the name isn't used nearly anywhere else apart form the UK and Ireland as it belongs to both Tata and Mercedes!

Old 04-06-2024, 04:30 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishDaimler
Thanks for looking out for me Thermite, and of course the other Daimler owners

I was doing a bit of research on the Daimler name and it explained why the name isn't used nearly anywhere else apart form the UK and Ireland as it belongs to both Tata and Mercedes!
Austro-Daimler was allegedly one of the most carefully and precisely built cars of the early motorcar era. Priced accordingly, too.

But any connection was several decades gone before Jaguar entered the scene.

What one HOPES a Daimler delivered during the Jaguar-rebadging era of same running gear and chassis, is a more attentive final assembly and detailing krew. An "Elite" team, IOW - off the back of the smaller volume and high-line target market.

For example.. hopefully, the boot of your Daimler is more nicely fitted than the rather tacky treatment on my XJ8-L!

The following users liked this post:
IrishDaimler (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:17 AM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Not having Instagram, and purely for myself , I found Paul the IrishDaimler had posted this piece of Walking Art on his intro page.
Possibly the best artwork in the history of the universe. Stand aside Banksy!

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
IrishDaimler (04-08-2024), TommyBoah (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Only slightly spoiled by the dealer ad on the rear window.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
I'd call that a "feature, not a bug"- so whomever hath greater lust - and purse - knoweth where to slake his thurst..

Old 04-08-2024, 04:37 AM

Thanks for that info Bill.

As far as I can see the boot is perfect, especially the soft close function, so you are probably right

Old 04-08-2024, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Not having Instagram, and purely for myself , I found Paul the IrishDaimler had posted this piece of Walking Art on his intro page.
Possibly the best artwork in the history of the universe. Stand aside Banksy!
Oh my! Where do I start to thank you for those lovely remarks, myself and the car are positively blushing

Old 04-08-2024, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
My son said I should remove it but the dealer was an absolute gentleman in our dealings, so I think I should leave it for the time being at least, but I know what you mean

Old 04-08-2024, 04:47 AM

I'd call that a "feature, not a bug"- so whomever hath greater lust - and purse - knoweth where to slake his thurst..

Nice quote Bill

Old 04-08-2024, 06:46 AM

Nice quote Bill
Technical Writers and Marketeers.

Equally willing to spiel creatively and scramble the orbs of grammarians to sell eggs more dearly.

Care for Ballymaloe with that?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-08-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:39 AM

Technical Writers and Marketeers.

Equally willing to spiel creatively and scramble the orbs of grammarians to sell eggs more dearly.

Care for Ballymaloe with that?

Do you get Ballymaloe relish over there?

Old 04-08-2024, 03:38 PM

Do you get Ballymaloe relish over there?
On the shelf at my local Wegman's, surely.
More importantly, Bushmill's Green, Red Breast & such in our ABC stores.

English and Irish foodstuffs are as easy to find here as Polish, Bulgarian and Turkish.

it's the frugal Scots who are less fond of sharing.
Hafta raise Haggis from wild-caught pups, smuggled in at great expense, given how fussy they are as to their diet.

IrishDaimler (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 03:10 PM

On the shelf at my local Wegman's, surely.
More importantly, Bushmill's Green, Red Breast & such in our ABC stores.

GOOD TO HEAR

English and Irish foodstuffs are as easy to find here as Polish, Bulgarian and Turkish.

it's the frugal Scots who are less fond of sharing.
Hafta raise Haggis from wild-caught pups, smuggled in at great expense, given how fussy they are as to their diet.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:34 PM

True story on the elusive Haggis. Now and then "kilted" mate of mine found his then-younger and more daring self the underpaid HM Gov' British Consul, some even more impoverished African nation. HM Gov was strapped for 'foreign aid' cash or bribes, either one, as usual, so when he heard of the Japanese trying to curry local favour, he proposed to the local Gov that the UK and Japan do a joint venture benefit.

Japanese money was to build a game preserve and cover the cost of veterinarian-grade airlifting of wild-caught but semi-domesticated Haggis from their native highlands to Africa so locals could expand their world-view and take delight in their frendly frolic. Breaking them to the saddle for children's rides for a coin wudda been a local contribution. Can't be going about denying your hosts an opportunity.

All done up on official letterhead, and wuddn' yah know it? The Japanese representative there had just enough ken that Haggis actually 'existed' to miss the joke and formally buy into the JV?
Onpassing a bank cheque for the initial tranche of finding, yet. Or so his offical correspondence would lead one to believe, "inscrutable oriental's" as they can be, and Japanese diplomats seldom found dead off an overdose of stupid-pills at the game of "go".

NOW WTF to do?

Salvation from the greater of international incidents came from our man in the form of a letter of apology, but not for the pranking of the Japanese Consul atall.

Seems that HM Gov had to bow-out.

The Haggis flock in-training had spooked, gotten turned about 180 degrees, fallen off the craggy mounts of their native highlands to their deaths...when their genetically shorter uphill legs got swopped with their genetically longer DOWNHILL legs. Haggis living, as is their wont, a highly "unidirectional" existence. Down-gullet, more often, than down-crag, but there you have it.

Dunno what the Japanese guy did, might yet be doing his own raconteuring off the back of
gullibility of the Scots over the filling of a 'virtual' game preserve, but OUR man was still carrying the official correspondence about as proof and dining-out off the tale for easily 20 years thereafter.

Payback for sinking of Repulse and Prince of Wales at least only cost the lives of a few valiant Haggis, this go, so there may be hope for the "civilization" of their savage herdsmen, after all.

Irish? ME? You thought the Kings of Connail did ONLY white horses?

Some of their sons married Bavarians whose offspring married Lobscouse then Sassenachs.

Ah "perfidious Albion revanche!" That'll cheat the cats outta the pigeons! Wuddn' want to eat a tasty bird all at once, wudja?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-30-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gorgious ... one word describes your awesome beauty perfectly ... gorgious :-)

IrishDaimler (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 09:36 AM

True story on the elusive Haggis. Now and then "kilted" mate of mine found his then-younger and more daring self the underpaid HM Gov' British Consul, some even more impoverished African nation. HM Gov was strapped for 'foreign aid' cash or bribes, either one, as usual, so when he heard of the Japanese trying to curry local favour, he proposed to the local Gov that the UK and Japan do a joint venture benefit.

Japanese money was to build a game preserve and cover the cost of veterinarian-grade airlifting of wild-caught but semi-domesticated Haggis from their native highlands to Africa so locals could expand their world-view and take delight in their frendly frolic. Breaking them to the saddle for children's rides for a coin wudda been a local contribution. Can't be going about denying your hosts an opportunity.

All done up on official letterhead, and wuddn' yah know it? The Japanese representative there had just enough ken that Haggis actually 'existed' to miss the joke and formally buy into the JV?
Onpassing a bank cheque for the initial tranche of finding, yet. Or so his offical correspondence would lead one to believe, "inscrutable oriental's" as they can be, and Japanese diplomats seldom found dead off an overdose of stupid-pills at the game of "go".

NOW WTF to do?

Salvation from the greater of international incidents came from our man in the form of a letter of apology, but not for the pranking of the Japanese Consul atall.

Seems that HM Gov had to bow-out.

The Haggis flock in-training had spooked, gotten turned about 180 degrees, fallen off the craggy mounts of their native highlands to their deaths...when their genetically shorter uphill legs got swopped with their genetically longer DOWNHILL legs. Haggis living, as is their wont, a highly "unidirectional" existence. Down-gullet, more often, than down-crag, but there you have it.

Dunno what the Japanese guy did, might yet be doing his own raconteuring off the back of
gullibility of the Scots over the filling of a 'virtual' game preserve, but OUR man was still carrying the official correspondence about as proof and dining-out off the tale for easily 20 years thereafter.

Payback for sinking of Repulse and Prince of Wales at least only cost the lives of a few valiant Haggis, this go, so there may be hope for the "civilization" of their savage herdsmen, after all.

Irish? ME? You thought the Kings of Connail did ONLY white horses?

Some of their sons married Bavarians whose offspring married Lobscouse then Sassenachs.

Ah "perfidious Albion revanche!" That'll cheat the cats outta the pigeons! Wuddn' want to eat a tasty bird all at once, wudja?
Thermite,

I don't know what to say?
I'm afraid I couldn't follow most of it!
But thanks for sending it to me anyway

Old 05-07-2024, 02:45 PM

Thermite,

I'm afraid I couldn't follow most of it!
Not to worry.

Scottish humour as it can be, that's more likely to be a feature than a bug!!

IrishDaimler (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:23 AM

Not to worry.

Scottish humour as it can be, that's more likely to be a feature than a bug!!