XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Side Marker Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side Marker Lamps

I recently broke the right front marker lamp on my 07 XJR. I ordered a replacement (part #C2C2048) on eBay but when it arrived it had a blank in the spot where the bulb should be inserted. I contacted the seller and was told they had mistakenly sent me the wrong part, the correct one being #C2C2051. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to determine WTF the part with the blank is used for.

I finally found an entry on "Automotive Lighting" in good old Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting) that shed some light on my conundrum—the laws governing the subject varies from country to country. In the US and Canada side markers are mandatory—the rear must be red and the front, amber—whereas in Europe they are optional but, if present, must all be amber.

Since Jaguars are manufactured in Europe, this explains why, whilst searching online for X350 side markers, one often sees a description such as "fits right rear and left front". But this still doesn't explain the mysterious blank. The only explanation I can think of is that there is some place in the world where operational side markers are illegal and that these are just used to fill the space, perhaps with some reflective value? (Note in the photo, my old broken part is stamped "USA" whereas the new one with the blank is stamped "EUR".)

Can anybody help me out here?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

You're onto it already; US & Canada requires lit side markers and the rest of the world doesn't. Mine has orange reflectors as a result, no bulbs.

The following users liked this post:
egdell (08-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Same in the UK; orange reflectors, front and rear, no bulb holders.

Side marker lamps are allowed on cars in the EU/UK (eg Volvo fit them [ wouldn't they just ! ]), and the rear ones can be either colour, amber or red.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 08-16-2017 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
egdell (08-19-2017)
Old 12-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by egdell
I recently broke the right front marker lamp on my 07 XJR. I ordered a replacement (part #C2C2048) on eBay but when it arrived it had a blank in the spot where the bulb should be inserted. I contacted the seller and was told they had mistakenly sent me the wrong part, the correct one being #C2C2051. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to determine WTF the part with the blank is used for.

I finally found an entry on "Automotive Lighting" in good old Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting) that shed some light on my conundrum—the laws governing the subject varies from country to country. In the US and Canada side markers are mandatory—the rear must be red and the front, amber—whereas in Europe they are optional but, if present, must all be amber.

Since Jaguars are manufactured in Europe, this explains why, whilst searching online for X350 side markers, one often sees a description such as "fits right rear and left front". But this still doesn't explain the mysterious blank. The only explanation I can think of is that there is some place in the world where operational side markers are illegal and that these are just used to fill the space, perhaps with some reflective value? (Note in the photo, my old broken part is stamped "USA" whereas the new one with the blank is stamped "EUR".)

Can anybody help me out here?

Do UK x350s have the EUR type above? I.e, is it just a matter of drilling a suitable hole in the unit and fitting a bulb holder?

Old 12-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

You still might have been able to use the side marker lamp with the blank. If it were me, I would have simply used a burr, a rat tail file and a straight file to make the hole for the bulb.