XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Side Mirrors not returning to position

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side Mirrors not returning to position

Hey Guys,
My 2008 XJ8 is experiencing issues with her side mirrors. Each day when I put her in reverse both side mirrors automatically tilt downwards to display the curbs to the driver. Once she is put back into drive both mirrors are suppose to go back to the original position for driving. The position loaded in the driver seat memory. However, the mirrors are not fully returning to the driving view, they only return about 30% of the way there.
Has anyone else experienced this? And was it a simple fix such as lubrication? My dealer wants to replace both Mirror motors and with only 44K on them I find this solution self serving. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in-advance.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I was about to move your post from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center when I saw you'd posted the identical question here. I've deleted the duplicate in the Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center.

Graham

Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Athens
Hey Guys,
My 2008 XJ8 is experiencing issues with her side mirrors. Each day when I put her in reverse both side mirrors automatically tilt downwards to display the curbs to the driver. Once she is put back into drive both mirrors are suppose to go back to the original position for driving. The position loaded in the driver seat memory. However, the mirrors are not fully returning to the driving view, they only return about 30% of the way there.
Has anyone else experienced this? And was it a simple fix such as lubrication? My dealer wants to replace both Mirror motors and with only 44K on them I find this solution self serving. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in-advance.
I have the same issue for my passenger-side mirror from the beginning when I purchased my 2004 XJ8. Actually that mirror already goes down when I unlock the car, still goes further down when I put the reverse gear and doesn't come back enough when I switch to D.
I tried to tilt the mirror by hand, dismantled it to check for rust/debris/lack of grease etc. also thinking that it may have been shocked. Doesn't work.
I live with it, need to use the electric motor to put back the mirror in correct position before putting the R gear and it's done!
Dunno if it's due to some wrong programmation and how to resolve it.
Solution would be welcome...

Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

Sound like re programming with SDD or a trip to the dealer.

I know that dipping of the mirror can only be done by a dealer or maybe SDD if you have it.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

Update:
Since a couple of days the problem has disappeared!
Seems that a gremlin that was firmy installed here since months has decided to leave, at least for some time I have now to make a pray for him not to come back...
Anyway, it shows again how our cats are capricious and, on this occasion at least, my laziness has saved me some bucks
Serge

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
Update:
Since a couple of days the problem has disappeared!
Seems that a gremlin that was firmy installed here since months has decided to leave, at least for some time I have now to make a pray for him not to come back...
Anyway, it shows again how our cats are capricious and, on this occasion at least, my laziness has saved me some bucks
Serge
Hahahahaha, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it not to happen again. It's not a matter of if, it's when.........

Mine has been on and off working (dipping) since I have had it.. I just live with it now.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Start with a thorough clean and lube, and exercise movement in all directions.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by trosty
Hahahahaha, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it not to happen again. It's not a matter of if, it's when.........

Mine has been on and off working (dipping) since I have had it.. I just live with it now.
Lol, I agree with you and am prepared for the come back!
Serge

Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there,

I've had this happen on my 2005 VDP a couple of times but I've found that if I press the memory 1 button (my setting) on the drivers door it will move back to the correct position. Not sure why it stops where it does but this seemed to work for me

Cheers Paul

The following users liked this post:
paydase (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul2005
Hi there,

I've had this happen on my 2005 VDP a couple of times but I've found that if I press the memory 1 button (my setting) on the drivers door it will move back to the correct position. Not sure why it stops where it does but this seemed to work for me

Cheers Paul
Good tip, Paul!
I remember that I played with the memory 1 button to adapt my settings on the last days. Maybe it has to do with the bug healing, although it would be strange that it also affects the driver's door lock...
I will not dare playing with it again though, not risking to wake up the beast

Serge

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 AM

It doesn't seem to be a popular suggestion, but really, after washing out and lubricating the foldback pivots of the mirrors, which now fold and unfold on the remote lock, I took out the mirror glasses, gave the moving parts a careful clean with a soft paintbrush, warm water and WUL, rinse, and lube with PTFE and now they dip for reverse, and move to the presets reliably.

It does help to work the mechanism to and fro during the clean and lube, dirt and grit come out, especially from the pivots. I rinsed it away with a plant sprayer.

My Indie tells me that operation and lube of the mirrors is not part of the maintenance schedule, so I suppose the dealer services had been ignoring them.

The following users liked this post:
paydase (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Thank you very much. I will give these suggestions a try.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My passenger side mirror does this

I had this problem with the passenger side only almost since the day I bought it. I reported the problem to my Jaguar dealer at each of the 10K miles services hoping to get it fixed under warranty. Every time they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and did nothing. Pressing the #1 memory button does bring it back to the correct setting. After almost 6 years I just live with it.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 AM

Give it a clean and lube yourself. What have you got to lose?

You can hang an old towel over the edge of the door to protect it from drips.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:31 PM

I know that this is an old thread, but since this just happened, maybe someone will enjoy the read.

I've only owned my '04 for a few years. The Reverse Dip feature never worked, so it was not an issue. Recently, the passenger mirror fell off. Figuratively, not literally. The mirror became loose after a trip through the car wash. Inspection showed that years of winter salt exposure had eroded the aluminum castings to a crumbling mess. Thankfully, eBay provided an adequate replacement for a fair price. Being off the vehicle, it was easy to remove the mirror and cover and give a quick cleaning (not that bad for a 17 year old mirror). AND, in Jaguar's infinite psychic wisdom, had allowed color coordinating future mirror replacements by simply swapping the replacement back cover with the original.

So with the above lead in, here is my story: The Reverse Dip never worked. Then the passenger mirror broke and needed replacement. Immediately after replacement, that mirror strting Dipping. I felt good about that unexpected benefit. But that was short lived, hence my arrival here- Although it now "Dip's", it doesn't Un- Dip. Just like above. I have to move it up with the control switch. Thankfully, others have had luck with #1, so I am hoping for the same.

Oh, and not for this thread, but I have experienced the dreaded ground (Earth?) strange story issues, the worst being when the windshield wipers would kill the engine, requiring a code reader reset to allow the engine to start.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. My mirrors started working after running the car for a while. Every once and a while I have to reset them...but that is not unexpected.
cheers
Athens

Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

More than a few mirrors have fallen off of the X 350s. It's not aluminum castings it's Zamak

There is a thread where cleanup of the corrosion of the Zamak alloy and good lubrication will fix the fold feature but the dip needs the care described above. I should know. Not only were my side mirror folding feature inoperable but one of them actually snapped off when I bumped it with my hip walking past the car.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak Hopefully yours are not that bad if don't drive in a lot of wet weather. But be cautious buying used assemblies on eBay and such I had to return two before I found one in good shape.

Usually once a year or so I clean up the assembly with a small brush after removing the approach light and folding them fully forward manually. Then I apply a mixture of WD-40 and fluid film which is an anti-corrosion coating.

The motors have a "breakaway" feature and once things are lubed up they work again, at least for most folks. Another trick is once they are working use them regularly by double pressing the lock button on your key fob. This feature needs to be turned on on the touch screen. I will try to find that's thread with photos up cleaning and lubrication pics.

Let us know how you make out!

EDIT: you have to pop off the plastic cover at the base of the mirror it snaps off with a twisting motion. Then you should see all the white Gunk I am referring to. Once you have brushed and cleaned it out you can then apply at some lubricant.

You do not want to wait until THIS HAPPENS:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-207005/