XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Single cd player stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Single cd player stuck...

I have searched for tips but everything I found addressed a stuck CD changer, not the single player unit in the dash. Our 2004 XJ8 does not have the CD changer in the trunk like my 2001 XJ8 does. It has the NAV disk unit but nothing underneath.

There is a CD stuck in that single disk unit in the dash. The head unit will not allow selection of the CD option and the disk will not eject. When I turn the car off the unit whines for several minutes.

Any tips on removing that CD without removing the player itself?

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
I have searched for tips but everything I found addressed a stuck CD changer, not the single player unit in the dash. Our 2004 XJ8 does not have the CD changer in the trunk like my 2001 XJ8 does. It has the NAV disk unit but nothing underneath.

There is a CD stuck in that single disk unit in the dash. The head unit will not allow selection of the CD option and the disk will not eject. When I turn the car off the unit whines for several minutes.

Any tips on removing that CD without removing the player itself?

Thanks.
The (all?) makers of the player's 'guts' provide a round hole about right for a straightened paper-clip to fit. It reaches in and pushes the right spot in the mechanism just enough to get the disk out to where one can grab it. BTDTGTTS on myriad Pee Cee thingies, so have kept the bespoke wire a few of the player makers actually included.

Hundred and two eff heat index HERE, and mine is not the one as is stuck, so I am NOT going out to look and see if the Jaguarites covered-up that hole, but I'd expect they did do.

YOU can have a look. Hopefully you do not have to pull the trim...

Mind - if it is a damaged player, not just a bad disc, you may need to replace it anyway.

They are fairly rugged though. I have even had a few (on Pee Cees, not Jaguars..) that someone managed to stuff TWO discs into at once that survived that and ran normally after the discs were pried out.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-19-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@Thermite, in general you are correct, except this is a "slot loading unit" - these don't have the capability to eject the disc if the power is not on - so no hole.

This may help:
How to Fix a Jammed Slot-Loading CD Drive: Digital Clinic

Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
@Thermite, in general you are correct, except this is a "slot loading unit" - these don't have the capability to eject the disc if the power is not on - so no hole.

This may help:
How to Fix a Jammed Slot-Loading CD Drive: Digital Clinic
There is still a mechanism inside - just no tray. 'Puter service geeks DO tend to see a whole lot more faulty players and makes than automobilists, after all, and ..

"where there is a will, there is a way":

Slot load DVD drive problem | Wilders Security Forums.

Personally, I prefer a strip of stainless robbed out of an old windshield wiper blade backing .. and a slim pair of Henry Mann tweezers... for those. Mounting details on the wiper-blade clip are already handy as 'hooks'. The other end can be custom altered as needed.

SI clients looked at you kinda funny if you just started bashing on stuff at rates above $100/hr.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-19-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I have tried packing tape on the credit card (repeatedly) with nothing resembling success. The unit buzzes for a short time after the car is turned off and using a stethoscope I have confirmed the sound is coming directly from the CD player. I have a very small long nose pliers tool that fits but a cannot get hold of the disk. Because of the foam strip where the disk goes in I am unable to get ANY visual inside the unit.

I experienced less frustration changing out the transmission fluid/Filter and electrical sleeve than in dealing with this stuck CD.

update/edit/resolution -- I pulled the radio head unit fuse for about 30 seconds to reset the CD player. When i turned on the ignition and pushed eject the disc popped right out. Go figure.

By the way, when they designed the location for the cabin fuse box i am pretty sure it was accompanied by an evil laugh.

Last edited by harvest14; 07-21-2015 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by harvest14
update/edit/resolution -- I pulled the radio head unit fuse for about 30 seconds to reset the CD player. When i turned on the ignition and pushed eject the disc popped right out. Go figure.

By the way, when they designed the location for the cabin fuse box i am pretty sure it was accompanied by an evil laugh.
Useful info! Thanks for that.

Both parts of it... Might be easier to pull the battery terminals and hope for the same result than it is to get at that fuse.