XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP

Hello -- nice to be aboard!

I just picked up a 2008 XJ VDP which seems to have every option available EXCEPT factory Sirius radio and CD changer. Being an audiophile, I can not tolerate the quality of the FM transmitter kits. I want to purchase a CDC and Sirius head unit and install the CDC in the trunk and the Sirius behind the rear seat where I believe it belongs. I have two unused connectors behind the drivers side rear seat and have included pictures to detail.

My local shops here in Brooklyn NY are clueless and there are no Jag dealerships nearby. I know Manhattan Jaguar will charge a fortune for this and I would like to attempt the install myself.

I also understand that I must be able to access certain hidden menu options via the nav system to have the devices communicate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Chris

Attached Thumbnails Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-main.jpg   Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-connector2.jpg   Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-conector1.jpg   Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-harness2.jpg   Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-harness1.jpg  

Sirius help 2008 XJ VDP-antenna.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sirius

FWIW, I had Sirius (and Jaguar iPod kit) installed by the Jaguar dealer when I bought my car in 2011. They went the FM transmitter route. To your point, satellite isn't as clear as CD or iPod, but I own a new vehicle with Sirius integrated in the factory system and sound quality is equal ... meaning, in my opinion, Sirius never sounds as crisp as a CD or FM. It sound slightly muffled whether factory installed or FM transmitter. I view the downgrade in sound as a tradeoff for commercial free music (does FM play music anymore? Just commercials whenever I scan FM stations these days!). Just my opinion, as everyone's ears and tastes will vary.

Last edited by GregW; 10-06-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks Greg!

Thanks for your response. My first one here on JF. The compression is really disasterous once the Sirius goes to FM, and in NYC, the land of radio stations that barely play music fit for human ears, our FM band is so congested with garbage, being transmitted at huge KW that even a semi-vacant frequency will get popped often with interference overpowering the weak FM modulators in the Sirius units. My Sirius/XM at home is pure digital and sounds fabulous so I'm kind of spoiled. Unless a digital file is AAC lossless I get nuts. Doing professional post production on TV and film, your ears get sensitized to the individual frequencies and when a chunk of them are missing on the high and low ends, you really notice.

If anyone has an answer to my question, I'd really appreciate it. Or know a capable pro-audio installer in the Bay Ridge area that knows the fiber system in the Jag. That would be great as well. I'm dreading a $2000 trip to Manhattan Jaguar.

Cheers!
Chris