XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Smells like rotten eggs inside my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells like rotten eggs inside my Jag

Hi everyone

I own an 04 XJ8 with 50k on the clock and two things are bothering me. First off I smell a rotten egg odor coming from the vents everytime i change lanes and passing gear is engaged. I also have gone to the tail pipes and smell the same rotten eggs odor. i have read that this condition may indicate a bad catalytic converter and that something is plugging it, thus creating the smell. Its also zapping some power from the car and I sometimes hear some pinging or early detonation coming from the engine. I have gone to the dealer and had the new emissions update done to the car, but it came out the same . I also use only premium fuel (91 octane).

The other condition is that my AC blower has stopped working. I have read some of the threads in this forum that indicate a bad blower relay, but no one seems to have a definite answer.

Any helpfull information as to how to fix these issues would be greatly appreciated.

THX

Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For the rotten egg or sulfur smell the only way I know of to deal with it is replace the cats. An 04 with 50k on the clock should still have a warranty on the cats as most manufacturers cover the cats till 70k or 7 years. Might want to check into that.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM

THX Armyjag. You are right on the money, the car still has a cats waranty. I will call my local dealer for an appointment. The only other thing thats bugging me is my AC.

Againt Thanks...

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with my XKR. Under heavy acceleration and the drivers window open get a strong exhast smell in the car. There has been posts in that forum that it be a problem with no resolve. Please keep us posted on how you make out, perhaps this may resolve my problem as well.
thanks
brdave

Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Brdave,

I will set up an appointment with the dealer in order to correct this problem. More than one person has stated that this problem can be corrected with the replacement of the cat converter. I have an indy mechanic that has also confirmed that the cat is bad. I will go to the dealer because the cat is still under warranty under California Law. I will let you know how it went.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that warranty is actually a Federal thing...

Glad to hear they are covering the Cat though.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  19.3 KB

Are you sure its not to do with your air con system?
Especially if its not working....for example if you tend to drive for long periods of time with your A/C off to gain better fuel economy or for slightly more power there thends to be a build up of bacteria gets in there, smells like rotten eggs / cabbages that sort of thing and is a horrible smell.
There's a write up on it somewhere....or check out air con system refresh or sumthin similar and it will highligh it for you.
The only way I know to rememdy this is for a system flush and refresh and it should solve the problem.

see item on this below that may give you an insight

Q: The air-conditioning system in my Jaguar has developed a strange smell, which appears to be getting worse. I don’t know what is causing it but it’s getting so bad that I don’t enjoy driving the car. What could be causing the stink?
David Robertson

A: The most obvious cause of the stench is bacteria within the system itself. Because an air-con system deals hot and humid air, it is easy for bacteria to thrive on the condenser part of the system.
Getting rid of the smell may not be straight-forward. You could try running the system on maximum heat for at least 10 minutes to dry the condenser out. This may remove the problem temporarily, but it is likely to return. There are kits available, from manufacturers such as Comma, which act as disinfectants and are sprayed into the air con system to kill the bacteria.
Your local garage my also be able to help although you should be wary if they say you need to replace parts of the system. This can be an expensive remedy, and is not guaranteed to work. It might be possible for them to service the system without incurring too much cost.
You can help your air-con system stay in shape by running it constantly, even in the winter. Many car manufacturers recommend that you keep the system on all the time. By continually circulating the coolant within the system all the parts are kept lubricated and in working order.
You can give your air-conditioning a workout by running it at full cold for 10 minutes, followed by full heat for 10 minutes. This not only helps the system maintain maximum efficiency, but also helps kill any bacteria hiding inside.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM

Hi Jim,

I dont think the problem has to do with a bad smell caused by the A/C or bacteria. It has more to do with sulphur from the gasoline and a bad CAT converter. I have an appointment at the dealer on Thursday of next week. I will keep you guys posted. Bye now.

Last edited by Bigcat73; 05-31-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The dead fan is probably a bad fan controller module which sits in the ductwork. The heat sinks are too small and they overheat, then pooping out. The replacements have larger fins.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bigcat73
Hi everyone

I own an 04 XJ8 with 50k on the clock and two things are bothering me. First off I smell a rotten egg odor coming from the vents everytime i change lanes and passing gear is engaged. I also have gone to the tail pipes and smell the same rotten eggs odor. i have read that this condition may indicate a bad catalytic converter and that something is plugging it, thus creating the smell. Its also zapping some power from the car and I sometimes hear some pinging or early detonation coming from the engine. I have gone to the dealer and had the new emissions update done to the car, but it came out the same . I also use only premium fuel (91 octane).

The other condition is that my AC blower has stopped working. I have read some of the threads in this forum that indicate a bad blower relay, but no one seems to have a definite answer.

Any helpfull information as to how to fix these issues would be greatly appreciated.

THX
Try switching gas stations, or fuel grades; then try a thorough tune-up: replace the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel and air filters for ac condenser, and oxygen sensor, and clean the fuel injectors. If that doesn't do it, replace your converter…

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 02-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Angry

Hi

I have cleaned the fuel injectors and the condition persists. I have taken the car to the dealer and they cant replicate the problem . I honestly don´t believe them. It really is´nt rocket science; if it smells like rotten eggs then thats sulphur from the gas. I bet the dealer guys only plug it into a scanner, but dont really test drive the vehicle. I will try the spark plugs and wires, however I think its the CAT. The other reason I think its the converter is that my muffler started to make noises when I accelerate. This is very noticible when driving through enclosed areas where the sound resonates. It sounds like a bit of a misfire, but its not. The Jaguar tech said the engine is fine and he could not fine anything wrong with the CAT which is Bull sh***t. Im starting to get pissed. Its a low mile Jag (52k) which should still be covered under the California and Manufacture warranty for faulty converters.

The other issue is the A/c. Some have said its the relay. Can someone please shed some light in this matter. Where is the relay located on the vehicle and where can I find a cheap one?

THX

Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just posted the below in another thread about a new car i just bought - it DEFINITELY IS THE CATS STINKING - I KNOW WHAT A CAT SMELLS LIKE. how in the world is this smell getting into the cabin?

this is definitely class action law suite stuff, my wife got sick tonight as we drove!

guys - i just did a search for 2008 xkr cabin smell and so i found all of you. i purchased a new xkr just today and when i put the pedal to metal - the cats are stinking. i know for a fact it's the cats cause there is no mistaking that rotten egg smell. what worries me is why are these fumes getting into the cabin in the first place? this is a serious health issue!

http://millenniummotorcars.com/New-I...oryId=22067349

mark brown

ps also note in the short time i have had the car just hours now - i have identified that smell occurs just after hard acceleration has been let off. during acceleration the smell does not exist - it is in the coasting mode when the smell enters the cabin.

Last edited by Markbrown; 08-01-2009 at 11:42 PM.