XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

So finally it's my turn on "lowrider" stance...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Default So finally it's my turn on "lowrider" stance...

Blew passenger side of the shock yesterday...

Name:  2012-08-20135759.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  244.9 KB

Name:  2012-08-20135749.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  272.8 KB

Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

That's funny. Mine blew that strut too, did yours leak out the oil all over the wheel? Eventually you'll find it sitting completely on the ground...

I did arnott rebuilts for both of the front struts. I did them at my shop, but with the value of these cars, and arnott's lifetime warranty, I don't think a 2k+ investment in suspension makes sense when it can be done for less than half.

Take care,

George

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 AM

I haven't found any oil leak yet. What it does is when it's siting like that, and I proceed to start up the car, it'll pump up to a certain level and then once it pass a certain height and you'll hear the hissing sound and car car will be dropping slowly despite the pump is still running.

When the bag blew we just park the car and me and my wife heard the sudden hissing sound like the air purging sound but this time it's couple times louder and couple times longer. Regular purging sound is more like 0.2-0.4 second type of purging but this time it's like purging for 2-4 second type and that corner drop down pretty rapidly, and a moment later the driver side dropping too I'm guessing the car trying to maintain the ride height and balance and the dash came up with the fault message and light at that moment too.

Order the shock thru Arnott today and should be here in a few day. Luckily it happen now because this weekend I have a 600 miles roundtrip drive and guess it'll be the wife's car instead of my Jag.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Casper
I haven't found any oil leak yet. What it does is when it's siting like that, and I proceed to start up the car, it'll pump up to a certain level and then once it pass a certain height and you'll hear the hissing sound and car car will be dropping slowly despite the pump is still running.

When the bag blew we just park the car and me and my wife heard the sudden hissing sound like the air purging sound but this time it's couple times louder and couple times longer. Regular purging sound is more like 0.2-0.4 second type of purging but this time it's like purging for 2-4 second type and that corner drop down pretty rapidly, and a moment later the driver side dropping too I'm guessing the car trying to maintain the ride height and balance and the dash came up with the fault message and light at that moment too.

Order the shock thru Arnott today and should be here in a few day. Luckily it happen now because this weekend I have a 600 miles roundtrip drive and guess it'll be the wife's car instead of my Jag.
Don't start it or drive it like that if you can avoid it. You will damage the compressor. Basically it's tantamount to you trying to fill a balloon with a hole in it, and keep it filled. The compressor isn't designed to constantly run. Simply to make adjustments based upon load.

The shock is a pretty straightforward swap. Make sure you disconnect the battery and then restart the car once everything is back together. You may get an air suspension fault at the first startup cycle because the resevoir will be empty, and it may take the compressor more than the 300 second threshold they have allowed to get the car to operating pressure. (That's what 90% of the air suspension fault errors are especially when it's cold out). It should go out on the second start cycle.

Take care,

George

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Now the only problem I ran into is that T60 Torx bolt is kinda seice. Impact tool won't even bulge it. Trying over an hour and now my hand is sore. Any idea? Those blue or yellow can torch good idea? If torch will the bushing survive?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM

So finally got it swap over and now the front end is hyper extended mode a little bit. Anyway to reset it or dealer is the only option?

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

So finally got it swap over and now the front end is hyper extended mode a little bit. Anyway to reset it or dealer is the only option?

Thanks.
Drive it around for a few days, let the shock break in. It will level out.

Take care,

George

Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Me too on a 04 xjr

Thanks.
I just did the same and picked up my car this afternoon, also changed the front shocks with the Arnott rebuild sport shocks (lifetime guarantee) had them installed at my dealer. Its running a little high, after shutting off the motor it does not drop the normal 1 to 2 Inches (FYI mine never dropped to the low rider stance, just a bad shock). So from what I understand drive it for a few days and it should just level out?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM

Mine I think the front still sits higher than before but can't confirm it. I'll take a picture in few days for you guys to judge.