so this is what happened....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default so this is what happened....

so this is what happened....-photo.jpg

so this is what happened....-photo1.jpg

so this is what happened....-photo2.jpg

greetings all, so here is what happened on saturday...my daughter stopped to yield to a yellow light, the teen behind her in a Nissan xterra didn't. hit my 04 XJ8 VDP as shown in pics. (if i messed up and didn't get pics in, boot lid is bent in at lock area, slight buckle in horizontal plane of boot, bumper cover is bent in middle aqnd outer edges ove cover opened away from mounting areas like origami!) i finally got the car to start by having the fire dept personnel push me about 50 yards out of the intersection, then it started and i pulled into a parking lot. they were asking me if it had a fuel cut off switch...i told them i didn't know but assumed it did as my 83 XJ6 does, and they couldn't get it to start at all. anyway, i can't open the boot, although the message center tells me the boot is open, there is a message regarding parking break is inoperable, and the radio does not work at all. neither does the center CD player. on the navi screen, i can access the audio functions, but there is no sound whatsoever. what can this be attributable to, and what else do i have to be aware of as i'm sure the other person's insurance (state farm) will try to steer me towards their body shop and minimize the repairs. i know that this is an aluminum bodied car, so there are other factors involved also. but the stereo and parking brake? as well as the check engine icon?
any info and advise will be greatly appreciated. wm

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Very sorry to hear that, I assume everyone is okay! If your XJ has average miles for a 2004 model, then I'm guessing the book value of it is somewhere around $15k. I don't think the damage will be enough to total it, but I think it will come close, especially with all of the electrical gremlins you now seem to have.

You probably want to have the work done at a Jaguar certified collision repair center, as those aluminum pieces need special attention. There is a list somewhere on Jaguar's website. You may want to call Jaguar corporate.

Feel better, cars can be fixed!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-18-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I agree with Alan

Use the certified Jaguar shop for estimates and repair.
I think you might just be close to a total write off too.
Let is know what the outcome is.
Good Luck.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,488 Posts

There is a fuel cut off switch located in the driver footwell behind the hood release latch. It is triggered in the event of an accident for obvious safety reasons. There should be a hole there. Just press the reset button and you should be good to go.

See page 179 of the handbook under roadside emergency

Last edited by jahummer; 07-18-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Sorry to hear about that , at least everyone is OK . I wish I could give you an idea about repair but I am sure you will get help as it already begins from our members

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

thank you to everyone for the input and concern! that is why jaguar owners are so much more of a "family" than those of other marques...and i've been a member of several in the past...EVEN a GERMAN one!! lol!
anyway, so far, my daughter suffered whiplash only at this point, but will be further evaluated by the physician. after conferring with my insurance company, and with the attorney that i dealt with when i had my motorcycle accident 3 years ago, i decided to hand it over all to him to deal with, as it was a "fight" last time to get all reimbursements.
my car has around 82-83k miles, and i am definitely going to go through the dealer and the recommended collision centers they suggest due to the aluminum body and all the electricals involved....
as far as if the car gets "totalled" by the insurance compay....that's up to them i guess. am i upset? yes. distraught? no. my daughter is safe, and aside from the whiplash, seems fine. that is more important to me.
(as an aside, i noticed that the vertical part of the boot is actually painted plastic snapped on to the inner part of the aluminum structure. i think some one wanted the long chrome trim from the 2008 look on a 2004. so all one would need is the plastic outer skin and not the entire boot lid!)
i'll keep udating as info comes available. wm

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs down Keep us posted

Keep us posted. Hard to believe some rear end damage could = a total loss.

Imagine what the other driver is saying - You'll never believe this, I rear ended a Jaguar.

Hate to see that beautiful car taken off the road. My first luxury car was that color. (That particular manufacturer called it "fawn", I took no end of ribbing from a friend who found out).

Hope all is okay with your daughter.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM

well, appraiser just left, preliminary estimate is $3000.00! she said that most "appeared" cosmetic, but of course things escalate once a teardown of the rear occurs and they actually open the boot. nevermind that there appears that a new boot may be required, prep and paint, locking mechanism, tail lights replaced (appears to have heavy scuff marks on them), one of the rear quarter panels looks a little off, radio doesn't work, parking brakes are off, sensors are off kilter, and let's not even discuss the entire bumper cover!!
so now i have to wait for the dealer to call me and let me know if i can take it there or a "certified" body shop! the fun never ends. and until a body shop/dealer actually starts the work, i can't have a rental that's covered by the insurance...so my '83 XJ6, sans A/C (here in 100+ deg temps) is the chariot of choice! LOL!

GregW - actually, you are right! my daughter told me that when the other girl's dad got to the scene of the accident, and saw what his daughter hit, he did make the " damn-it-had-to-be-a-jaguar/expensive-car!" look on his face!!! you called that one right!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rear quarter panel is off, and there's only $3000 in damage? Make sure you take it to a very good body shop that specializes in high end vehicles. Someone that can spot frame damage!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good to hear that daughter is pretty much OK. I was amazed that total loss was even being considered for a boot lid, a bumper and a couple of tail lights + some shop time electrical TLC.

Then you made the latest post, things make more sense.

Why can't you get a rental, the fact that the bumper will now remove a pedestrians legs or scythe down any cyclist make the car dangerous to drive and therefore illegal IMHO.

And I doubt that the insurance company would want to cover that accident claim as being their fault for saying that the car is safe to drive.

Anyhow, the good news, I guess that we will see more of you in the XJ6 section. Yeehah.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wow

Hope that is all it is, looks to me as more.

Originally Posted by jadedragon1800
well, appraiser just left, preliminary estimate is $3000.00! she said that most "appeared" cosmetic, but of course things escalate once a teardown of the rear occurs and they actually open the boot. nevermind that there appears that a new boot may be required, prep and paint, locking mechanism, tail lights replaced (appears to have heavy scuff marks on them), one of the rear quarter panels looks a little off, radio doesn't work, parking brakes are off, sensors are off kilter, and let's not even discuss the entire bumper cover!!
so now i have to wait for the dealer to call me and let me know if i can take it there or a "certified" body shop! the fun never ends. and until a body shop/dealer actually starts the work, i can't have a rental that's covered by the insurance...so my '83 XJ6, sans A/C (here in 100+ deg temps) is the chariot of choice! LOL!

GregW - actually, you are right! my daughter told me that when the other girl's dad got to the scene of the accident, and saw what his daughter hit, he did make the " damn-it-had-to-be-a-jaguar/expensive-car!" look on his face!!! you called that one right!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

A new bumper cover in parts alone is around $1000, at least for a front one. Can't imagine the rear would be much different. Actually I just looked it up, it's $1,240. New bumper energy absorbers, $154 each. Then factor in a new finish panel ($231, part only), trunk lid ($987, part only), latch mechanism ($157) and you're already talking $2923 in parts only. Then factor in labor for the paint and body work, and you're talking at least $5000 or more. And this is assuming you don't have any structural problems underneath there.

Luckily the aluminum frame is pretty rugged. I remember a while back somebody had a pretty severe frontal offeset crash with a large Buick and the driver in the Buick ended up with broken bones and in a coma and the doors wouldn't open, whereas the driver in the X350 walked away from the crash, and all of the doors opened and closed perfectly and were still aligned properly.

Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Okie dokie... So one week later, I go to body shop for some personal effects from the trunk as they finally got it open. Rear bumper completely off, interior trim near inertia switch and door sill area off. They still can't get started, there is damage to the trunk floor, and the insurance appraiser had just left and now the damage estimate is at $6000+! additionally there are some unholy scratches on driver's side rear door! Body shop guy doesn't know anything about those. I called the appraiser, told them that they were NOT pre-existing. So she says that they are definitely from the impact (true), and a separate claim may need to be filed as it might have been from firemen pushing car out of intersection or tow truck operator.... Whatever! THAT will be less than my deductible, so it will be out of pocket most likely.
Five days later, body shop tech calls and says that they had been authorized to get a technician to diagnose why it wouldn't start. Authorization came and finally they traced it to damaged fuel pump in gas tank! Oh, and btw, the damage estimate is now at $8000+!!! Evidently they haven't reached the "magic number" yet!
And that is the latest update, will keep everyone posted....

Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yikes! Well I wouldn't be surprised to see it go even higher. I once had an estimate for $6000 and by the time the body shop finished, the bill was $14000 and I got another $2000 for diminished value.

Anyhow, are you certain it is not the emergency inertia fuel shut off switch as I described previously? Sounds like it to me based on The symptoms you described.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jadedragon1800
Okie dokie... So one week later, I go to body shop for some personal effects from the trunk as they finally got it open. Rear bumper completely off, interior trim near inertia switch and door sill area off. They still can't get started, there is damage to the trunk floor, and the insurance appraiser had just left and now the damage estimate is at $6000+! additionally there are some unholy scratches on driver's side rear door! Body shop guy doesn't know anything about those. I called the appraiser, told them that they were NOT pre-existing. So she says that they are definitely from the impact (true), and a separate claim may need to be filed as it might have been from firemen pushing car out of intersection or tow truck operator.... Whatever! THAT will be less than my deductible, so it will be out of pocket most likely.
Five days later, body shop tech calls and says that they had been authorized to get a technician to diagnose why it wouldn't start. Authorization came and finally they traced it to damaged fuel pump in gas tank! Oh, and btw, the damage estimate is now at $8000+!!! Evidently they haven't reached the "magic number" yet!
And that is the latest update, will keep everyone posted....
Sounds like it will be totaled soon.

Seriously, you don't want a car that has been in a serious accident before. They are only designed to be crashed once.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Yikes! Well I wouldn't be surprised to see it go even higher. I once had an estimate for $6000 and by the time the body shop finished, the bill was $14000 and I got another $2000 for diminished value.
Wow, how did you get an adjustment for diminished value? What was/were the company(ies) involved? I've heard that DV adjustments are rarer than hen's teeth.

However I always thought they were justified. Just fixing the car leaves you with a repaired car which is in no way worth the same as a car that hadn't been wrecked in the first place. And if the accident is through no fault of your own, you deserve to be made whole.

To the OP, I agree that when I saw the first estimate of $3K I said "no way"... I expect it'll be nearer $10K when all is said and done!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marsden
Wow, how did you get an adjustment for diminished value? What was/were the company(ies) involved? I've heard that DV adjustments are rarer than hen's teeth.

However I always thought they were justified. Just fixing the car leaves you with a repaired car which is in no way worth the same as a car that hadn't been wrecked in the first place. And if the accident is through no fault of your own, you deserve to be made whole.

To the OP, I agree that when I saw the first estimate of $3K I said "no way"... I expect it'll be nearer $10K when all is said and done!
I agree, although no offense to anyone, but some cars probably don't diminish as much as others.

In my case the GEICO adjuster screwed up, considering what they came out of pocket, it should have been a write off, which I would have preferred. After all was settled, I ended up selling the $27,000, 3 year old car with 3,000 miles back to the dealer for $12,500. You can do the balance of the math from here....

I argued with them that body work, no matter how good, would never be that same and when I would take the car for trade in or sale, it would not only be more difficult, but I would not receive as high of an offer. I also went to the dealership and explained the situation to them and had them write up a letter detailing the difference in value.

I suggest everyone do the same.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Sounds like it will be totaled soon.

Seriously, you don't want a car that has been in a serious accident before. They are only designed to be crashed once.
It will likely be totalled but if you love your car, it can be fixed reasonably if you are into sourcing your own parts and have a friend with a good body shop. Mine was bought with the entire right side blown in. I spliced 2 cars literally together and had to source aluminum rivets and welding tools for my body guy. Not to mention many dealer parts that were not available in yards since the car was brand new in 2005... long story short she has given me 6 wonderful years and 135,000 miles of service without any accident related issues. But then again, Im not selling or trading so I am fine with it

Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My first message here on this forum. Just happened to read about your daughter's accident in your XJ8. Very sorry to hear this.

One thing to be aware of -- please don't minimize her injury as "only whiplash."
As a retired healthcare executive, I have both personal and professional experience with whiplash injuries. They can sometimes produce ongoing pain & disability. Finding good medical treatment can also be a challenge.

Your daughter's young age is an advantage and this can help her to heal rapidly & without any consequences. But don't assume this will happen. Since it's been about one month now, if she is still experiencing any neck pain or headaches or dizziness, that would be cause for concern. If your family physician hasn't referred her for physicial therapy treatment. Now is the time for that. Also specialty physician evaluation is probably needed, especially if several weeks of PT don't produce any help. I hope she's already better by now but if not...

Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Well, a week after I was told it would be done, now I was informed it may not be until the end of next week because they are waiting on some rivets from Tampa (hurricane Irene will delay that) and several panels ( they didn't realize the the boot lid was a two piece affair) form Canada. This is all after the obligatory lowest price bid as per the insurance company!! So then I ran out of the allowable 30 day rental coverage, and if I want a rental I have to pay for it and then submit to the other insurance company (who's already paying to fix it) for reimbursement....fat chance of that happening unless I take them to court for that. So my transportation is my old 83XJ6, sans a/c....in Texas...in the middle of a record breaking heat wave!!! Gotta love that old jag!!! Still running after all those years!!!

Quick Reply: so this is what happened....