Specific Central Locking Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Specific Central Locking Question

Dear Forum,
This is probably one for Meirion1.
My car does not lock with the fob, but does with the key, except for the front passenger door. I found that if I used the internal lever to lock that door after opening my driver's door, all the doors would lock bar the driver's. I could then lock the driver's door with the key, my lights would flash, as would the security light at the front of the dash-top and all was happy!
When I returned to the car, I could unlock everything with the fob.
Now the fob has stopped unlocking. I replaced the battery and reprogrammed it. It will unlock the boot (no problem) but not the doors?
Please, do I go after the micro switches in the driver's door actuator, or is the driver's door module my target?
Thank you.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:01 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
Dear Forum,
This is probably one for Meirion1.
My car does not lock with the fob, but does with the key, except for the front passenger door. I found that if I used the internal lever to lock that door after opening my driver's door, all the doors would lock bar the driver's. I could then lock the driver's door with the key, my lights would flash, as would the security light at the front of the dash-top and all was happy!
When I returned to the car, I could unlock everything with the fob.
Now the fob has stopped unlocking. I replaced the battery and reprogrammed it. It will unlock the boot (no problem) but not the doors?
Please, do I go after the micro switches in the driver's door actuator, or is the driver's door module my target?
Thank you.
That the fob operates the boot latch and nowt else is odd. Like unto the "valet" key function, but 180-degrees reversed? "Valet" being not supposed to be able to unlock boot or the interior bin.

I have no answer, but add a question -- so hopefully we get clarification of more points:

I'm under the impression - could be in-error - that the ONLY transceiver that communicates with the fob operates with the door 'card' or module IN the driver's side door, all-else controlled from there?

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

DDM

EsRay (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
DDM
Thanks xalty.
I already tried cleaning up the terminals on the DDM a good while ago when the keyfob lock function failed? Perhaps I need to start thinking about replacing it 😔
Will need to be shipped (expensively) from the States 'cos LHD🤑
HeyHo, the price one pays for driving a top quality luxury car bought at a ridiculously low price!

Last edited by EsRay; 04-23-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Or from continental Europe, also LHD...

Best regards,

Thomas

EsRay (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 07:26 PM

Thanks xalty.
I already tried cleaning up the terminals on the DDM a good while ago when the keyfob lock function failed? Perhaps I need to start thinking about replacing it 😔
Will need to be shipped (expensively) from the States 'cos LHD🤑
HeyHo, the price one pays for driving a top quality luxury car bought at a ridiculously low price!
Chinese JLR production (their largest market, US now but 2d place) drives on the "Chinese side" of the motorway, as does the EU, now that "Japanese side" dis-United Kingdom has brexited out of it.

LHD parts are probably the majority, not minority? Besides.. MOST components on a Jaguar are not even involved in the few areas of difference that makes.

HKG-Shenzen also have a number of enterprises buying-up parts to rebuild and re-sell, as board-level electronics repairs can be done cheaply and well there.. if they want to do.

I'm not a big fan of PRC parts, but sometimes it is those or nothing "soon enough".

Last edited by Thermite; 04-23-2024 at 09:56 PM.
EsRay (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you Thomas-S,
Whenever I look on Ebay for used L/H parts, they always seem to be situated in the US?
Any recomendations for used parts in Europe, please?

Last edited by EsRay; 04-23-2024 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermite
Chinese JLR production (their largest market, US now but 2d place) drives on the "Chinese side" of the motorway, as does the EU, now that "Japanese side" dis-United Kingdom has brexited out of it. LHD parts are probably the majority, not minority? Besides.. MOST components on a Jaguar are not even involved in the few areas of difference that makes.
Thanks Thermite; I expect a L/H/D DDM requires a L/H/D replacement?

Old 04-23-2024, 10:07 PM

Thanks Thermite; I expect a L/H/D DDM requires a L/H/D replacement?
Exterior door handles are surely "sexed", but I don't actually know that the in-door guts differ.

From an electronics designer's chair, or that of a logistics/materiel management/bean-counter viewpoint, there is no reason they would have to do, and inventory, production-cost, and supply chain gains if they were made 'side agnostic' universal.

There might be a few Ewes-Tubes videos on each side that clarify that? And/or earlier threads, right here, in-forum, already covering those, and years ago?

I grumble at Google over their weird politics and uber-intrusive ways, but they are still the best search-engine.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

From what I can gather, a replacement DDM would need to be programmed by using SDD, by a main dealer or by a sophisticated garage. I do not have SDD (and the many complications surrounding obtaining the correct version, using an ancient operating system to run it etc, etc, frighten me away from even attempting it)? The Jaguar main dealer here would charge me more than my car is worth and there is no such thing as a sophisticated mechanics shop here in Dubai!
So (on reflection) I think I will just live with locking and unlocking it with the key!!

Last edited by EsRay; 04-25-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Wingrider (04-30-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:53 AM

...there is no such thing as a sophisticated mechanics shop here in Dubai!
No need. The rich locals just fly the car off to London and pull a cold spare out of their drive in freezers.

Saudi Prince who fancied hisself an expert in all things mechanical brought his new 1952 "Full shield" Cadillac into the Aramco garage at Dhahran with a wind-borne silt damaged distributor, claimed it needed a new carburretor. Shop ramrod said he'd get one flown-in... planning a new distrbutor with it, of course, but sayin' little contrarianish whilst he had it cleaned as best they could.

Incensed Royal marched into the stock room, returned carrying a 1950'ish chevy six pickup truck's one-barrel, said "THAT is a carburretor fool! Don't try to lie to me! Put it on!"

Torching, sawing, welding, filing, and drilling commenced to fab an adapter and manage the lines and linkage. Aramco's guys, Korean War era, could fix anything but VD, TB, and broken hearts.

Prince soon drove away .... at a slower speed.. but delighted his superior knowledge had humbled the infidel.

So (on reflection) I think I will just live with locking and unlocking it with the key!!
Been working for me for Donkey's Years.

I have come to count a dead battery in a remote key a beneficial reduction in risk of theft and stupidity alike ... after "pocket keying" sunroof open and all four windows down whilst I was 100% oblivious indoors .. and the Jaguar was 100% exposed, outdoors ..... in a freakin' thunderstorm.
Blessedly a short one, if intense.

Connelly hides leather is tougher than it might appear, but the headliner weren't ... and I'd rather not further push my luck.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-25-2024 at 09:05 AM.
EsRay (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to post.
The more I think about this, the less convinced I become that my problem is the DDM. Taking Meirion1's advice a couple of years back, I removed the door card and cleaned all the terminals on the DDM; it looked pristine? Nothing has happened to change that? My cosseted Jag has never seen rain?
Again, thanks to Meirion1, I have replacement microswitches for the door lock actuators. I think my problem may well be the extra microswitch he told me the driver's door has? I think it possible that this extra switch allows the driver's actuator (once passed as legal by the DDM) to actuate all the others?
Anyhow, whether right or wrong, I shall door card off again and take a look at it and report back.

Thermite (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 04:27 PM

this extra switch allows the driver's actuator (once passed as legal by the DDM) to actuate all the others?
Confirmed. More intuitive move that a reach for center of console button-bar.

More than a few things offer more than one way to execute.

"Wordperfect" software earned their bones that way. Five folk in an office, all claiming it easy to learn, five different prior word-processing tools that Wordperfect supported the same keystroke navigation for! Decision-makers loved it off the back of near-zero retraining costs!

Motorcars have similar concerns for safety reasons, even government interference to try to standardize controls so fewer of the klewless die of confusion.

Downside is the klewless thrive with zero effort, assume all others should think alike, then politics goes to Hell.

TANSTAAFL

Folks growed up wiser and more 'situationally aware' back when Ford & Chevy put the 'nition key on opposites sides and SAAB split the difference, put it on the floor.

You wonder why global politics are so Charlie-Foxed?

Blame overly-predictable automobiles, safe knives as don't cut, water saving toilets as take three tries to move an ounce of pre-owned beer......and shortage of stouter pitchforks to vote with.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-25-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Hi Ray
Just a couple of points

The 'extra switches' do not have a micro switch-I believe they are
a type of wipe switch and are built into the actuator and as far as I can see
not repairable because you have to destroy the actuator to get to them.
If you have a look at the circuit diagram they are labelled 'status switches'
Ie they tell the electronics the position of the actuator.

I think you have made a good decision to 'live' with it
Cheers

EsRay (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meirion1
Hi Ray
Just a couple of points

The 'extra switches' do not have a micro switch-I believe they are
a type of wipe switch and are built into the actuator and as far as I can see
not repairable because you have to destroy the actuator to get to them.
If you have a look at the circuit diagram they are labelled 'status switches'
Ie they tell the electronics the position of the actuator. I think you have made a good decision to 'live' with it Cheers
Thanks Meirion1,
So it could be that the failure of the microswitch (moving part more likely to fail than the DDM) has resulted in these 'wipe switches' being unable to tell the electronics the position of the actuator?
Maybe I'll take a look at that actuator when I have nothing better to do!

Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 AM

Thanks Meirion1,
So it could be that the failure of the microswitch (moving part more likely to fail than the DDM) has resulted in these 'wipe switches' being unable to tell the electronics the position of the actuator?
Maybe I'll take a look at that actuator when I have nothing better to do!
You probably already have one of the "major maker" electrical contact cleaners with a soda-straw tube for the nozzle? Low risk to give it a shot - two, a day or so apart, even - and let ordinary cycling "wipe" the wipers.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermite
You probably already have one of the "major maker" electrical contact cleaners with a soda-straw tube for the nozzle? Low risk to give it a shot - two, a day or so apart, even - and let ordinary cycling "wipe" the wipers.
Agreed, and (perhaps) even better still, I already have (thanks to a link sent by Meirion1) spare replacement microswitches. I am hoping that it is not my DDM; I am hoping it is (as Meirion1 explained) that the 'wipe switches' cannot tell the position of the microswitch because that is the switch that has failed?
In any event, if I am wrong I will just learn to live with locking and unlocking with the key; after all, many of the cars I have owned over the years required me to do exactly this as a matter of form!

Old 04-29-2024, 10:55 AM

Agreed, and (perhaps) even better still, I already have (thanks to a link sent by Meirion1) spare replacement microswitches. I am hoping that it is not my DDM; I am hoping it is (as Meirion1 explained) that the 'wipe switches' cannot tell the position of the microswitch because that is the switch that has failed?
In any event, if I am wrong I will just learn to live with locking and unlocking with the key; after all, many of the cars I have owned over the years required me to do exactly this as a matter of form!
Shirley. Been "manual key only" ever since the XJ8-L proved itself a poor substitute for a swimming pool or birdbath.

The only other two vehicles I ever had to "just deal with" leaving the 'sunroof' open in the rain had no remote key-fob to 'pocket key' to begin with.

OTOH, the XJ8-L doesn't the TR3's detachable windscreen one could carry indoors for foiling vandals, nor tracks, not wheels, and a Browning Ma-Deuce at the "sunroof" for "payback".

"Horses for courses"

Last edited by Thermite; 04-29-2024 at 11:09 AM.