XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sport to Comfort air springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts
Default Sport to Comfort air springs

Just a question, really.

Has anybody changed air springs from Sport to Comfort (or "normal"). Reason I ask is I am getting a bit fed-up with the rather harsh ride on Sport springs and am considering converting to Comfort using used spring/shock units. The ones on the car are original, and thus already 10 years old, so I am not too scared about used items, which can be obtained for far less than new ones. Of course if one of the replacement used items fails, I would purchase a new one, but I cannot afford all four at once, Minimum price for four would be around £2250 plus fitting.

Buy another car, do I hear ? Yes, but then I take over all the unresolved problems the previous owner(s) did nothing about.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Cant you get them reconditioned and customised to your liking
I am not sure if this is possible but I don't think you would be the only person that would want this

Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by doc
Cant you get them reconditioned and customised to your liking
I am not sure if this is possible but I don't think you would be the only person that would want this
Certainly an option in the US *on the 2004-onward XJ series*. Beyond my ken if earlier Jaguars have the same options available.

Also know that cross-pond shipping of grubby, potentially pressurized used units into the USA, rebuilt ones back out is just not on for many sources.

Might see what these folks have to say in re shipping:

What's New ?

Should be at least one UK-local rebuilder with services and prices not TOO dis-similar. Swings and roundabouts w/r higher fees and VAT, but lower shipping costs - perhaps even within go-fetch range.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

The spring rate is varied by having two different air volumes in the spring, one for Sport, and one for Comfort. This means the "air can" is a different size, so one cannot convert a Sport spring to Comfort, would that it were os, as converting is very costly. Of course, if I do the job, I'll offer the SPort springs on eBay. Maybe somebody likes very hard suspension.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The spring rate is varied by having two different air volumes in the spring, one for Sport, and one for Comfort. This means the "air can" is a different size, so one cannot convert a Sport spring to Comfort, would that it were os, as converting is very costly. Of course, if I do the job, I'll offer the SPort springs on eBay. Maybe somebody likes very hard suspension.
Understood. But when you order rebuild units, it is not common that you get the same ones you send in as 'core'. Some earlier 'core' + new parts that was rebuilt previously is ordinarily pulled from stock. Few of these are exactly 'rare' any longer.

Any rebuilder with reasonable volume uses 'all' types in any given tribe, so a 'swap' can happen as part of the process.

Suggest you contact one of the locals ... or one of the US or EU firms that DOES ship rebuilts and cores internationally, and see what the currently available options include. Web-search gives me the idea that NEW Arnotts are just over half the price of new Bilsteins, and rebuilts from others roughly half that of new Arnotts. The difference could cover a fair amount of shipping, HM Customs & Excise, and VAT.

BTW - rebuild needs experience, care, proper components properly applied, ability to do off-vehicle test and QA.

That said ..it can't be TOO damned close to 'rocket science' if Arnott brags of sorting-out his first-ever air-suspension unit rebuild when he, not the air-spring, was but twelve years of age...

Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM
psg
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

What's the ride like on steel spring x350s over in the UK? Get a used set of springs and struts from a breaker and do away with the air like some have done over here with the Arnott steel spring conversion.

Stu

Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by psg
What's the ride like on steel spring x350s over in the UK? Get a used set of springs and struts from a breaker and do away with the air like some have done over here with the Arnott steel spring conversion.
Stu
Its very difficult here legally due to the restrictions of our roadworthiness test called "MOT Certificate", and insurance. Steel coils means the headlight aim adjustment via the ASM is disabled, and those with HIDs which require it legally, like me, would fail the MOT, plus for insurance it is a modification and may not be acceptable to the insurance company. Things are more relaxed, I think, on your side of the Pond !!